Building "V2 Supply Unit" for 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I constructed my 2nd version of a supply unit to fit into my HDJ80. I will cover my progress in this thread and share my experiences, sources and ideas.

Basic requirements:
  • Two drawers, asymmetric (in a symmetric layout I always end up bot drawers being either to wide or to narrow for my stuff)
  • Can be taken out of the trunk as a unit
  • Has mounts for electronics
  • Has space for two AGM batteries
  • Has to cover the whole trunk just below the rear speaker
  • Has removable side panels
  • Has removable panel for electronics maintenance & venting
  • Needs to integrate into factory interior design
  • Has space for power outlets, switches and solar stuff easily accessible
  • Must be mounted to 3rd row seat mounts
  • Must be sturdy enough to carry my stuff on top of it (fridge, chairs you name it)
Additional requirements:
  • Drawers need to have internal lightning (I hate using a torch or worklight just to grab something out of the vehicle)
  • Should support reusage of materials to a certain degree (if I change my mind later on)
So let's make this!

So first version 6 CAD construction:

What you see here is on the left side front a slot for a solar display on the right hand side three rocker switches (alternating on/off backing up light connected to counter switch in the cockpit, one switch work light on the spare wheel carrier and one switch to interrupt automatic drawer light) and a 12v cigarette power outlet.

The whole thing is covered in carpet, so you wont see the screws and top panel anchors anymore. Also, I modelled my Engel fridge and Clearview Accessoires fridge extension.

Links for the stuff:

Last edited:
Id love to know where you got all your electronics links are good.

So what is under the "hood"? Basically this:

Contains two drawers made from 12mm poplar plywood (lightest, often used in vehicle interior). The gray panels to mount electronics and secure the sides of the unit are made from 6mm outdoor panel (something fiberglassy like, gets almost every tool not made from diamant ... just dull!).

Contains four steel roller slides, locking mechanism at closed and extended position.

Base made from 30x30mm 8mm rabbet and connectors, end caps, corners and whatnot.

Links

Last edited:
Electronics inside:

Solar display (already mentioned)

Two touch interrupt switches for the drawer lighting.

Rocker switches and 12v cigarette power outlet - already mentioned.

DC/DC charger, another 12v cigarette power outlet (fridge), MPPT solar regulator, a fuse box, a distributor, anderson SB50 plug to connect to the vehicles "aorta" and an imaginary nagares twin relay for switching the exterior backup and work light.

Links:
Rocker switches see earlier post.

Last edited:
Wow. Very impressive work! If I ever get my spare out of my cargo space I might get to build some drawers.
Thanks for sharing.

Now for reality - lets make this!

As I did the whole thing digital first ... I knew all the exact dimensions in advance. So I started with the most logical part first: The Drawers 🙃 See the action here:

Of course we need two of them - however I did not cover the rest in video as I am a one-man-(with occasional help from wife)-show and like to make stuff more than pressing small buttons on a camera ...

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
Then I waited for the metal stuff to arrive. As I am working as a coach for software engineering during the week, I need to order all mystuff from the interwebz and wait ... this is also the reason I planned all in such detail ahead - I had to know if stuff will fit and where before I had it in my hands.

In the meantime I did the electronics 3 times for the new version (because wiring first was a mess (for my flavor) and I knew I could do better). I took some experience from version 1:

So this is what I ended up with:

Not far from the CAD, right. Note, the metal stuff finally arrived too!

Last edited:
Then I went to the home depot to grab the originally planned 18mm poplar plywood for the top panels. Which they did not have at stock, bloody c**p!!! So I decided to use a 3 layered 19mm panel (which was a good decision) and took it right away into the cruiser. I knew i am having to distribute weight (more precisely pulling force) amongst the panel. My idea to cater for this was ... this:

I was again searching the interwebz for such a screw-on-a-plate, did not find it in the desired dimension. Called up father and got him to weld some M6 screws on 30x30x4mm steel - not as precise as i wish but it does the job. 8 pieces:

One thing I could not yet get my hands on is welding - as much I would like to learn it to make cool stuff myself!

So time to put stuff into the top panel as good I can get it:

Done! Fits! Happy!

Last edited:
By the way ... this is a picture how my drawers shine in the dark of the nite:

Picture taken from version 1.

Then the day came were I got the fridge extension delivered. Awesome speedy delivery from a dutch guy - after it took a while to find out where I could source this aussie hardware into Switzerland! Local offroad/overland do not know this product - beats everything I saw up to now. So I put everything together so far I had it and stuffed it into the 80 howitzer:

The first built drawers fit like ... well - do we need to talk about 1/10th of a mm? So I was quite proud about myself that moment. Also earned quite some respect from my dad, who is a pro woodworker! I learned from him - but have more patience for precision ;)

So I finally knew where to drill the holes for mounting the fridge extension (one thing which was not visible in the technical drawings) prior coating the woodwork.

Last edited:
Last weekend now, wifey was spray painting the drawers in blue (after having them done in white primer) and I again put all the stuff into the trunk of the howitzer and cut the side panels.

Left side panel not so accurate but ok.

Right side panel quite good.

Next weekend is going to be front mounting time! I will keep you folks posted.

Last edited:
awesome work very well done Im working on my second drawer build and this time im making frame from steel tubing to reduce weight, Im using locking sliders but only one per drawer, I see you used two a piece. also have a dometic fridge slide, I made the last one and it weights a lot. So I may cannabilize it to lighten it up.

awesome work very well done Im working on my second drawer build and this time im making frame from steel tubing to reduce weight, Im using locking sliders but only one per drawer, I see you used two a piece. also have a dometic fridge slide, I made the last one and it weights a lot. So I may cannabilize it to lighten it up.

I would go for one locking slider per drawer too - I had them from version 1 and so i took em. You must know, buying stuff in Switzerland is either bloody expensive or, if imported, bloody complicated because we ain't in the EU. Shippings from anywhere (except China, and some parts you just don't want from Chai-NAH (as much I like the other cheap, cool goodies)) cost like stupid. So I decided to re-use all locking sliders instead of going through the sourcing hassle again.

The whole unit weighs about ... I don't care - yet! Howitzer has +750kg springs on the rear axle so far with the RTT, rear bar stuff, 40kg lead (batteries), old drawers (but without fridge extension/fridge and gear) it is ok.

Third that, when I redo mine, I'm going to use only one locking slide per drawer. I've needed to use the drawers one handed more times than not. Just means I need to find the matching non-locking slides for the ones I bought years ago.

Third that, when I redo mine, I'm going to use only one locking slide per drawer. I've needed to use the drawers one handed more times than not. Just means I need to find the matching non-locking slides for the ones I bought years ago.
or if you have a slightly longer slider just stagger it. Ill post a pic later if I think of it.

or if you have a slightly longer slider just stagger it. Ill post a pic later if I think of it.

I get you, never really though about doing that. I have the 36" full extensions, not sure how much I can stagger them, but even an inch would work (I think I have 2-3 inches of play).

Great work. Very impressive skills.

Soo, after two busy weeks I want to give you an update about the project.

I continued to work on the front panels and as per planning, I need to have some cutouts on them for electronics. I started with the outdoor panel which serves as mount for the parts:

Also prepared the plywood which will cover up the gray panels. Making the holes for the rocker switches was a major pita - nevertheless I made them fit quite ok.

I drilled holes so the screwheads are plane with the plywood panels. Intention was to cover the screws with carpet too, which did work out quite well. Only a very small hole is visible for sticking in the allen key. This is what the side fronts look like finished and mounted:

And so we left for the easter weekend ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom