Building up from stock - Lift & Bumpers question

• Thread starter DirtyPepper
  • Start date
  • Watchers 12
BWT

BWT

I am about 4 hours away on the east side. If you haven't hooked up with them already the Cascade Cruisers is a toyota based 4 wheel drive club located in Tigard OR. They do several runs in the mountains around your area every year. Cruisin in the Woods is the biggest one that happens in September.

We are pretty much done wheeling in the mountains for the winter but when we start up next spring maybe we could connect. We go mostly to Rim Rock and Naches area but I want to try a trip across the Washington Back County Discovery Route. Starts just east of you and goes all the way to Canada.
I’d like to do this route as well.

Corbet

Corbet

Website
www.durangomagazine.com
Lift and add the front bumper at the same time if possible. The front weight of the truck does vary much. You either have a bumper and winch or you don’t. Run mediums in the rear until you add the rear bumper and whatever else. Then buy new springs for the rear to match your finished weigh.

I wheeled my truck pretty hard in the beginning with a front ARB/winch and sliders on 295’s. The stock suspension was nearly on the bumpstops with any gear in the truck. Rode like crap. Moved up to a 2” medium spring set up from Ironman and it was good until the rear bumper went on then back to lots of body roll and hitting the bumps. On went 4” Slee heavies and everything is perfect again. Well better than they have ever been. My tires grew with each lift also 33/35/37. Bottom line is you need to match spring rate with the trucks weight or it will ride like crap.