Building up from stock - Lift & Bumpers question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!

Long time LC family member here - father went through two 40's and then a 60, then to an 80 series (Both currently in his driveway). My brother and I both have a '97 80 series...mine is bone stock and I'm finally in a position after five years of starting to build her up. Nothing major...a modest lift, front and rear bumpers with a swing out, stuff like that.

My question is this and I think I know the answer but I wanted to check first: Which is better to set up first - the lift or the bumpers? I'm assuming the lift since the bumpers are a lot of additional weight. I'm planning on the Ironman front bull bar with winch and then the rear swing out tire carrier with bumper.

I'm looking at the 2.5" OME heavy load lift and then 33's for tires.

Am I right in assuming the lift should be done first?

Here's my 1997 80 series - stock, 220k miles
IMG_4331.JPG

And I ultimately want to take it to THIS:
IMG_4361.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone!

Long time LC family member here - father went through two 40's and then a 60, then to an 80 series (Both currently in his driveway). My brother and I both have a '97 80 series...mine is bone stock and I'm finally in a position after five years of starting to build her up. Nothing major...a modest lift, front and rear bumpers with a swing out, stuff like that.

My question is this and I think I know the answer but I wanted to check first: Which is better to set up first - the lift or the bumpers? I'm assuming the lift since the bumpers are a lot of additional weight. I'm planning on the Ironman front bull bar with winch and then the rear swing out tire carrier with bumper.

View attachment 2828208

View attachment 2828211

Thanks in advance!
It doesn't matter which you do first. 33s will fit easily on stock lift anyway.

You probably will want to go for 35s like the rig in the bottom pic, especially if you're installing a swing-out rear tire carrier anyway. They will fit on a stock lift too but may rub off road.

Sounds like you already know what you want for bumpers and have picked a lift appropriate for the weight. You can do 33's with no lift so it really does not matter which order you go in. I went bumpers before lift because at the time I was more worried about body damage from the off-roading I did than I was ground clearance. I had a few years between the bumpers and the lift though so if you plan to do both in short order that's probably not a concern.

A lot of people will push you towards 35's but I am pretty happy with the look and performance of my rig on 33's with a 3inch lift. Gets me anywhere I have any business being since I don't care to thrash my truck and still does well on the street without the need to re-gear. Not to mention the tires are about $500 less for a set.
IMG_1001.JPG

In the big scheme of things, springs are relatively cheap. Unless you plan on doing everything at once (lifting and loading), you might consider getting some used springs/shocks first to see how you like a particular ride height, then upgrade them when you get all the loading bits figured out.

If you do the OME heavy lift, you're going to be really unhappy with the ride quality until you get more weight in the vehicle.

Bingo, OME heavies in the RR w/o ~200# of cargo or a bumper make it ride like a sport spring on a BMW. Stiff, but not overly harsh/punishing.

I grew through those exact springs to my Slee Heavy Progressive RR’s / 4”+ lift w/ about the heaviest RR swingout bumper there is (Hanna Q) - but it’s perfect match spring with the extra steel out back.

Sounds like you already know what you want for bumpers and have picked a lift appropriate for the weight. You can do 33's with no lift so it really does not matter which order you go in. I went bumpers before lift because at the time I was more worried about body damage from the off-roading I did than I was ground clearance. I had a few years between the bumpers and the lift though so if you plan to do both in short order that's probably not a concern.

A lot of people will push you towards 35's but I am pretty happy with the look and performance of my rig on 33's with a 3inch lift. Gets me anywhere I have any business being since I don't care to thrash my truck and still does well on the street without the need to re-gear. Not to mention the tires are about $500 less for a set.
View attachment 2828644
Thanks! And your rig looks great!

I've noticed a lot of people favor the 35's, and I like the look of them, but I'm probably going to stay with the 33's....mostly because I really don't want to regear anything. I'm planning on some trail runs but nothing too heavy. I think the 33's, like you have, will be perfect, thanks!

Which brand/make of tires are you running?
Also, which bumper do you have attached?

Bingo, OME heavies in the RR w/o ~200# of cargo or a bumper make it ride like a sport spring on a BMW. Stiff, but not overly harsh/punishing.

I grew through those exact springs to my Slee Heavy Progressive RR’s / 4”+ lift w/ about the heaviest RR swingout bumper there is (Hanna Q) - but it’s perfect match spring with the extra steel out back.
Great, thanks for the additional info!

I'm planning on putting the swingout tire carrier on the back, as well as a full roof rack...also, in the cargo area, I'm planning on adding the pullout drawer system.

I read the "Heavy" setup was for 2.5" and over, and since I'm leaning towards the 2.5" lift, I figured the heavy load would be the route to go.

I would upgrade sliders, get rid of the steps before bumpers and such.

/this\

granted, my LX450 was already lifted when I got it, but I still promptly managed to bend the running boards on the very first two wheeling outings with the truck :bang:

Thanks! And your rig looks great!

I've noticed a lot of people favor the 35's, and I like the look of them, but I'm probably going to stay with the 33's....mostly because I really don't want to regear anything. I'm planning on some trail runs but nothing too heavy. I think the 33's, like you have, will be perfect, thanks!

Which brand/make of tires are you running?
Also, which bumper do you have attached?
I have Mickey Thompson ATZP3's. They've been a great tire, the tread wear is good, not too noisy and they have good overall traction. 285/75R16 on the stock wheels allows them to tuck all the way up in the fenders with no rubbing or trimming.

I think you'll be happy with the 33's. I went with them for the same reason, to skip the cost of re-gearing. That photo is in Moab right before we ran Hells Revenge. We also did Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim and Metal Masher that trip. I only had to winch up the water fall on Gold Bar Rim. I did drag the sliders and rear bumper a lot more than the jeeps with 37+ tires I was with, but that's what I made them for. We run a lot of trails up in the cascades too and I've got plenty of traction and clearance for what we do.

The front bumper is from Relentless Fabrication. It came as a weld together kit. I added the bull bar, light cutouts and modified the ends a little. They don't list it on their website anymore but they might still have the patterns to cut the parts if you reached out to them. Northwest Trail Innovations also offers one that's similar. 1990 - 1997 FJ80/FZJ80 winch bumper kit - https://nwtrailinnovations.com/1990-1997-land-cruiser-winch-bumper-kit

I have Mickey Thompson ATZP3's. They've been a great tire, the tread wear is good, not too noisy and they have good overall traction. 285/75R16 on the stock wheels allows them to tuck all the way up in the fenders with no rubbing or trimming.

I think you'll be happy with the 33's. I went with them for the same reason, to skip the cost of re-gearing. That photo is in Moab right before we ran Hells Revenge. We also did Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim and Metal Masher that trip. I only had to winch up the water fall on Gold Bar Rim. I did drag the sliders and rear bumper a lot more than the jeeps with 37+ tires I was with, but that's what I made them for. We run a lot of trails up in the cascades too and I've got plenty of traction and clearance for what we do.

The front bumper is from Relentless Fabrication. It came as a weld together kit. I added the bull bar, light cutouts and modified the ends a little. They don't list it on their website anymore but they might still have the patterns to cut the parts if you reached out to them. Northwest Trail Innovations also offers one that's similar. 1990 - 1997 FJ80/FZJ80 winch bumper kit - https://nwtrailinnovations.com/1990-1997-land-cruiser-winch-bumper-kit
Thanks for all the great information!

I'd love to run some of the areas you mentioned...I live in the PNW (Vancouver, WA) so I'm right in the Cascades, so I'm looking forward to some trails here.

Thanks,

Dusty.

I'd love to run some of the areas you mentioned...I live in the PNW (Vancouver, WA) so I'm right in the Cascades, so I'm looking forward to some trails here.

Thanks,

Dusty.
I am about 4 hours away on the east side. If you haven't hooked up with them already the Cascade Cruisers is a toyota based 4 wheel drive club located in Tigard OR. They do several runs in the mountains around your area every year. Cruisin in the Woods is the biggest one that happens in September.

We are pretty much done wheeling in the mountains for the winter but when we start up next spring maybe we could connect. We go mostly to Rim Rock and Naches area but I want to try a trip across the Washington Back County Discovery Route. Starts just east of you and goes all the way to Canada.

I am about 4 hours away on the east side. If you haven't hooked up with them already the Cascade Cruisers is a toyota based 4 wheel drive club located in Tigard OR. They do several runs in the mountains around your area every year. Cruisin in the Woods is the biggest one that happens in September.

We are pretty much done wheeling in the mountains for the winter but when we start up next spring maybe we could connect. We go mostly to Rim Rock and Naches area but I want to try a trip across the Washington Back County Discovery Route. Starts just east of you and goes all the way to Canada.

Yeah, I know about the club and I've been meaning to join!

Funny you should mention the WBCDR - a buddy of mine sent me the link last night...we're beginning to plan part of that run...my 80 series and his Disco-II...maybe another couple of friends in their YJ and Rubicon, and another on his Royal Enfield motorcycle.

I'm pretty sure I'll come out on top with that lot ;)

And yeah, we should connect at some point! By that time, I should have a few mods finished.

Dusty.

Hi everyone!

View attachment 2828208

View attachment 2828211

Thanks in advance!
For what it's worth, I like the stock look...

Yeah, I know about the club and I've been meaning to join!

Funny you should mention the WBCDR - a buddy of mine sent me the link last night...we're beginning to plan part of that run...my 80 series and his Disco-II...maybe another couple of friends in their YJ and Rubicon, and another on his Royal Enfield motorcycle.

I'm pretty sure I'll come out on top with that lot ;)

And yeah, we should connect at some point! By that time, I should have a few mods finished.

Dusty.
If your interested in another cruiser for the WBCDR let me know when you decide to go and I'll see if I can fit it in. Can't let those Jeeps and Rovers out number the Toyotas :)

Thanks,

Dusty.
Hey neighbor. I’m just north of you in Woodland. I have a 2019 Sequoia and like you I’m planning to make some relatively minor modifications: 2.5” lift, 33” - 34” tires, bumper, sliders, and skid plates,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom