Builds Building the dream (PZJ77) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

70 Series land-speed record set: 88mph (while being towed)

Utah
66D15B11-C9CD-44C7-ACD6-BE441E3B5A4C.jpeg

Roller in Nevada
B50EE1FF-E9C9-48D4-BE91-390EEF75D075.jpeg

Tahoe Forest
656A6BA7-9C29-4C98-A4E3-74D128A76571.jpeg

Well, about a week after getting to California, the HG decided to let go about 2 miles from home. Cranked the heaters and limped it back. Truck is now at Valley Hybrids for assessment and repair.

Short list of work to be done:

- HG repair, probably more associated things which need repair.

- Front/Rear axel rebuild (finally) with new rotors and drums/shoes

- Engine mounts

I may try to get a u-bolt flip kit out to Georg as well if I can source a kit.

Here she is waiting for her date to home coming:

067F496B-3EB3-4BB1-9467-33AFA232385E.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, about a week after getting to California, the HG decided to let go about 2 miles from home. Cranked the heaters and limped it back. Truck is now at Valley Hybrids for assessment and repair.

Short list of work to be done:

- HG repair, probably more associated things which need repair.

- Front/Rear axel rebuild (finally) with new rotors and drums/shoes

- Engine mounts

I may try to get a u-bolt flip kit out to Georg as well if I can source a kit.

Here she is waiting for her date to home coming:

View attachment 2303979
Bummer... although I guess the COVID lockdown isn't such a bad time for the truck to be down.

I would just do the 1HZ swap but I realize that probably requires a tranny swap also assuming you don’t want to mate the r151f to the 1HZ. I guess that drives up the swap cost. :(

Me personally like the r151f more in terms of shifting feel but I realize it is not as heavy duty either.

1PZ is a such great motor but when they do require any major parts that are 1PZ specific, it can be a pain. Been down that road before.

I would just do the 1HZ swap but I realize that probably requires a tranny swap also assuming you don’t want to mate the r151f to the 1HZ. I guess that drives up the swap cost. :(

Me personally like the r151f more in terms of shifting feel but I realize it is not as heavy duty either.

1PZ is a such great motor but when they do require any major parts that are 1PZ specific, it can be a pain.
R151 can handle the 1HZ pretty good , I am about to put a FT behind my R151 ;)

R151 can handle the 1HZ pretty good , I am about to put a FT behind my R151 ;)

Well that settles it. Especially if it can handle the FT.

Seriously though I do feel the r151f shifts smoother based on my personal experience.

Well that settles it. Especially if it can handle the FT.

Seriously though I do feel the r151f shifts smoother based on my personal experience.
It does and I always feel that first gear on a H55 with a 1HZ is way to short. From 1998 or so until today toyota is putting a R151 behind the 1HZ for the european and general market 70’s so it can be as bad as what we read on the aussie forums. Plenty 1HZ/r151 combos with half a million miles in Europe towing trailers most of the time without to much issues

I like the R151 in my truck a lot. Much more enjoyable to drive. Made me want to do low range gears though in the transfer case because low range was not saying much.

Last edited:
Well after long deliberation the verdict is in.

1HZ swap.

Over the past week I’ve been talking it through with friends about pros and cons moving forward. In the end the two major factors influencing the choice are cost and future proofing.

It would be very easy to cross the $20k mark putting in an FT. It would be badass, but I’m not in a position currently to do it right. This truck will belong to my son in about 13 years. I’ve heard from good authority that Toyota will still be making the 1HZ well beyond that.

So a quick (literally maybe 15 minutes) phone call to @SteveJackson ( Land Cruisers Direct - Home ) and a 1HZ was procured and shipping arranged.

CACB9AAF-16D5-4163-9C96-C73E9699F3AC.jpeg

Today I was able to make it down to Valley Hybrids to drop off some additional parts that will be needed and take some measurements for the iSi bike carrier I just ordered.

Georg ( @orangefj45 ) and I talked awhile and it was really cool to putz through the shop seeing all the really cool trucks. Plans also made for Surf n Turf.

Anyways; the full list to be done:

-1HZ swap with partial rebuild (not that it will need it, but while it’s out on a stand it will same time/money/headache down the road)

- Send the steering box out to West Texas off road for rebuild

- Front/Rear axel rebuild

Short list of considerations but nothing finalized:

- Upgrade on shocks.

- LRA tank

- Taller 5th gear

- Steering column rebuild

Last edited:
Nice! Welcome to the HZJ club!
You have the H55f? If so, what taller fifth gears are available?

Send the steering box out to West Texas off road for rebuild

We just had to send one back to West Texas because it was all kinds of wrong....not a part that is something you want all kinds of wrong :(

Talk to Red Head Steering.....incredible customer service and I haven't had to send any boxes back to them for a 'try again' 👍

Nice! Welcome to the HZJ club!
You have the H55f? If so, what taller fifth gears are available?

R151F. I can’t really answer that as I’m not super knowledgeable, but if I decide to press with a talker 5th I’ll update here accordingly.

We just had to send one back to West Texas because it was all kinds of wrong....not a part that is something you want all kinds of wrong :(

Talk to Red Head Steering.....incredible customer service and I haven't had to send any boxes back to them for a 'try again' 👍

You’re not the first source of that type of information. Certainly on my radar. But the truck is in trusted hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom