Builds Building the dream (PZJ77) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

s*** I'm still trying to learn this business. Too many cars. So I should be fine with everything by dropping new shackles on? I would do the shocks too, they are likely blown (passes a bounce test fwiw) but more importantly the stroke I would imagine is too long?

Yep, shorter shackles shouldn't require much extra work. Maybe an adjustment to the steering link off the steering box to re-centre the steering wheel. Easy enough to unbolt one end of a shock & check the minimum length if it looks like they're too long, unlikely to be a problem though.

Cheers
Clint

Yep, shorter shackles shouldn't require much extra work. Maybe an adjustment to the steering link off the steering box to re-centre the steering wheel. Easy enough to unbolt one end of a shock & check the minimum length if it looks like they're too long, unlikely to be a problem though.

Cheers
Clint
Very cool. Thank you for the input. I think I may first try to remove a leaf out back to see how the truck sits/handles... If that is still to tippy for my liking I may just end up ordering oem shackles... They run about $200 for front and back iirc. I don't like the idea of spending that kind of money, only to swap them a year or two later for the parts I actually want

My son and I were busy yesterday. Went to Toyota and order new gaskets for the intake plumping up to the block. We also got a new clip for the hood support pole, but we forgot to get the plastic bit that hold the pole stable in the rad support. We also went to the local hardware store to put together a DIY catch can.

Today was the first time my son helped with a repair. He carried the clip, held the pliers, and ensured the part was snugly installed

I'd say that a lot of work for a 4 month old. We then had a beer and bottle respectively.

image.jpg

I plan on having my son help with the catch can too. I think it will turn out pretty cool, I'll post pictures when I finish it. The plan for the intake side of the house is a good cleaning to get the oil residue cleared out. More to come.

Put together my home-brew (I crack myself up) catch can. Assembled using some 90 reduction pipe fittings, JB weld, an air compressor filter, a coffee can, and half an aluminum scrubbing pad.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So yesterday did not go as planned at all. Scratch that, we consumed beer, but aside from that it was a mess.

1: the lug nuts were so tight that an impact gun was useless. We used a two foot section of pipe and half my body weight to break them free.

3: my front diff oil was grey. Well maybe more of a slate gray.

2: we tried to remove the inner hub face on my e-hubs. Ther was a, what we thought, a block-off plate in one of the bolts. Turns out it was to broken tip of a t20 bit. All three of the bolts were way over tolerance. I assume that the who ever has this last was using an electric impact gun and and torqued, 1,2,3 snapping the but on the third one.

image.jpg

So at the end of the day, the only thing accomplished was a diff oil change and finishing a case of hoegaarden.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Started in on the sound system this weekend. Most of the time was spent pulling out erroneous wiring and accessories. I estimate about 30 pounds of crap all together. So far only two tweeters are left in the factory dash location. Removed so far, old power inverter, amp, four 6in components, two 6x9 components, two 3-cigerette sockets, ETC (EZ pass) receiver, HID wiring harness, and a few random wires leading to nothing. What was most frustrating was the attention to detail for some parts of the wiring and complete disregard for others. I.e the PO used a combination of: zip ties, twist ties, electrical tape, and scotch tape to secure various things.

This is about half of the crap pulled out.

image.jpg

We did find a harness to what I'm guessing was an aftermarket speed sensor. It starts at the T-case and ended up in the dash. It has power, ground, and ACC lines. Maybe one of you know if it is needed or what it is (black looming)

image.jpg

As far as progress we were able to get the power inverter wired in proper. We didn't secure it yet. I will likely fab a bracket to hold it and the amp together under the passenger seat. Also wired up one door, but I'm not happy with how I cut the frame to fit the speaker so that will be coming out soon enough to do a proper job. I'm likely going to make new door cards as well. So more to come with that. I will also create a sperate posting going into detail the specifics of the stereo install once everything is functioning as it should. We're still trouble shooting some issues.

Big thanks to @Kenavides for learning me some audio knowledge and putting in work.

Lastly I'll drop a good shot of the little man putting in work on his future truck.

image.jpg

Started in on the sound system this weekend. Most of the time was spent pulling out erroneous wiring and accessories. I estimate about 30 pounds of crap all together. So far only two tweeters are left in the factory dash location. Removed so far, old power inverter, amp, four 6in components, two 6x9 components, two 3-cigerette sockets, ETC (EZ pass) receiver, HID wiring harness, and a few random wires leading to nothing. What was most frustrating was the attention to detail for some parts of the wiring and complete disregard for others. I.e the PO used a combination of: zip ties, twist ties, electrical tape, and scotch tape to secure various things.

This is about half of the crap pulled out.

View attachment 1108890

We did find a harness to what I'm guessing was an aftermarket speed sensor. It starts at the T-case and ended up in the dash. It has power, ground, and ACC lines. Maybe one of you know if it is needed or what it is (black looming)

View attachment 1108894

As far as progress we were able to get the power inverter wired in proper. We didn't secure it yet. I will likely fab a bracket to hold it and the amp together under the passenger seat. Also wired up one door, but I'm not happy with how I cut the frame to fit the speaker so that will be coming out soon enough to do a proper job. I'm likely going to make new door cards as well. So more to come with that. I will also create a sperate posting going into detail the specifics of the stereo install once everything is functioning as it should. We're still trouble shooting some issues.

Big thanks to @Kenavides for learning me some audio knowledge and putting in work.

Lastly I'll drop a good shot of the little man putting in work on his future truck.

View attachment 1108900

N,

Good looking fella there! Teaching 'em young... ATTA BOY!

J

This was delivered to my in-laws from the UK

From a 1990 MR2 targa. It looks like it'll need some lovin, but still happy!
image.jpeg

After being away for awhile I figure I should do an update (still away from home, but able to post updates in the mean time).

Half-assed completed "phase 1" of my camp trailer. So far I've got $150 invested in it. The utility trailer I scored for free from a guy who went over weight allowance for his housing shipment. I sourced the steel wheels and 31" TSL's at a local junk yard. When I get home I plan on chopping and widening the axel to match the track of the cruiser. Originally I didn't plan on doing a trailer, but my wife got pregnant again, so the drawer system for the back has been Cx'd to save space for the dog.

image.jpeg

Aside from that I plan on a DIY a kitchen/base camp for it. The plan is to use a Japanese apartment stove for cooking (picture below for effect) some type of larger 12v fridge and its own 12v solar bank. Work on that likely won't happen till I return to the states in late August/early September. The plan tentatively is to use some old pelican cases to stow everything, but still leave it modular. I'm also weighing the benefits of a roof top tent for the trailer, but we'll see.

image.jpeg

Aside from that, we did our best to enjoy the truck before I left. Spent a day bbq'ing on the beach and did some island exploration. Photos are a bit old.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I did my first recovery that day. Someone decided their Nissan Cube would do fine in the sand. It was cute. Only big issue was I had to hook my snatch strap to their lower control arm and of course the height of the Cruiser compare to a tiny box car is significant enough I was worried about their bumper. But stay stuck or break a few clips

Last edited:
Made a trip to the metal works factory today. Picked up 6 meters of 5cm tubbing and 6 meters of 5x10cm square. Sliders will be on in the next week or so. Also gave mom a break and took the kids to the mall for a few hours.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpg
While I am not an engineer and don't have a firm grasp on the laws of physics, I'm fairly confident that would gain efficiencies if you placed the beer bottle in a higher position (bumper) and used a shorter straw.

Finally got my new shoes mounted. I had to sacrifice a 13mm 12 point to get the security lugs off as my key was snapped o_O

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The wheels are Bradly-V's and tires are Michelin XZL 8.25R16. I've only driven around the block so I can't tell performance off road, but the taller, narrower tire has a significantly stiffer sidewalk then my previous Dunlop Grandtrek MT2 sized 255/85R16. This is to be expected given the XZL's reputation. It's also very welcomed as the Dunlopes did not inspire much confidence. I think the wheels they are mounted too were too narrow which caused them to be squirmy. In any case, I'll let y'all know how these work out. I also need to go get a spare mounted on my 5th rim. I'll likely just go to a junk yard and get a reasonable commercial tire to match the size. But to be honest, I've never heard of an XZL puncturing so I'm not too stressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom