Builds Building the BJZ43 = FJ43 + FJZ80 + BJ75 :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That engine looks familiar!

The plan at this stage is that I will do the SUMO Gears which are on the truck from @cruiseroutfit and then run the BJZ43 and see how it goes. Once I know if I am changing R&P's I will pull the diff's and rebuild them with or without a change. I have 4.56, 4.88 and 5.29's on the shelf and if I need to I will just try them all and find out what makes the 3B the happiest. Same with the Sumo's if I find the 4:1 with the 8% reduction in Hi doesn't work for me I will just pull them and swap to the 3:1 .

Yeah I will keep the 4.11 till I drive it. The sumo gears from

My BJ60 has 4.11 axle gears, and 33s, so the speedo is really close to being back to stock. I actually regret swapping to 4.11s, as the 3B was happier at slightly less RPMs, and the 10% big tire overdrive was just right when it had 3.73s. I think you will be really happy with the 4.11s.

My BJ60 has 4.11 axle gears, and 33s, so the speedo is really close to being back to stock. I actually regret swapping to 4.11s, as the 3B was happier at slightly less RPMs, and the 10% big tire overdrive was just right when it had 3.73s. I think you will be really happy with the 4.11s.
Interesting, thanks for the feedback, the bj60 would have been heavier to. This is why diffs will stay stock 80 till I drive it. Only ratio change initially will be th 4:1 sumo and 35's and I work work from that. I think the turbo will help a lot as well as the 3b usually suffers at higher speeds

Yes, I was thinking that too; the 60 weighs ~6300lbs all loaded up with camping gear.

Mine is turbo'd as well. I have a 13BT manifold, CT26 and a top mount intercooler. I have the waste-gate welded shut and I adjust the fuel pump to manage the boost/EGTs/Engine temps.

Yes, I was thinking that too; the 60 weighs ~6300lbs all loaded up with camping gear.

Mine is turbo'd as well. I have a 13BT manifold, CT26 and a top mount intercooler. I have the waste-gate welded shut and I adjust the fuel pump to manage the boost/EGTs/Engine temps.

Do you have any details on your Top Mount Setup ? Currently I will be going 13BT manifold with a garret but no inter cooler.

Aiming at Max 9 PSI so I decided the I/C wasn't really needed. I did play with that idea of adding a WAIC depending on intake temp. I will be running multi channel data logging on it so will have post and pre temps on it so will see how it goes and work from there.

Did you add an external waste gate ? why did you weld the internal ?

The intercooler is just an ebay intercooler. The manifold is flipped around so the turbo sits lower and is clocked to point up, making more room than the factory orientation.

There is no wastegate at all, I don't want to waste any boost. I had wired the wastegate shut previously, but that would fall off periodically, so I tack welded it the last time I had it out. Some might call that a little reckless, but as long as the engine doesn't overheat, and the EGTs are low (currently in the 7-800F range), I'm just gonna keep on keepin' on.

hood.jpg

top.jpg

air.jpg

IMG-2301.JPG

Damn ... you are running 20 PSI of Boost into a 3B Series 1 engine ? Have you done anything to it and is it happy with that much boost ?

Yup. I didn't say it was wise.

Its been running like this for years. The PO did the conversion and added the MLS gasket. I have bumped up the timing and turned up the fuel, and that is pretty much it.

Yup. I didn't say it was wise.

Its been running like this for years. The PO did the conversion and added the MLS gasket. I have bumped up the timing and turned up the fuel, and that is pretty much it.
Man I love it, nothing better than knowledge through success. I would never be game to wind up a 3B to 20 lbs but if it works more power to ya.

Might have to reconsider my boost :)

Last edited:
So with the FJ43 pulled down to chassis it was time to do some clean up and send the engine and transmission off to its new home and pull the chassis down to pack and store for the BJ46 Project. The FJ 43 cam with a drum brake front axle with out free wheel hubs and a full floater rear axle. It is always interesting the combinations you see on different market spec vehicles.

2019-08-25 16.09.07.jpg

2019-08-27 22.27.04.jpg

2019-08-31 10.12.17.jpg

At this point I took a minor detour and decided to sand blast the FJ43 Chassis and make sure it was good for the BJ46 build. I didn't want to hang onto it if it wasn't what I expected.

As luck would have it she was 100% rust free ..... pretty impressive for something that old but again the advantage of a desert truck that mas probably seen very little rain. When I pulled it apart she was FULL of Dusty .... the doors where literally chocked up to the bottom of the door cards with it.

Once blasted she will get a seal coat and then off into storage

2019-09-01 08.59.28.jpg

2019-09-01 08.56.43.jpg

With the FJ 43 Body off the chassis it was time to clear the hoist and move onto the Z part of the Build.

43 Part Out !!

2019-09-10 21.45.35.jpg

The 80 series is so much less fun to pull than a 40 series, good thing I don't have to pay to much attention to where stuff goes as it is all going out and not going back in .

2019-09-10 22.35.06.jpg

Always a fan of pulling the drivers door so I can get to the bits I need to while it is on the Lift

2019-09-12 23.44.22.jpg

hmmm something tells me this pile will grow as the night goes on

2019-09-12 22.17.45.jpg

Look at all that junk, won't have that issue with the 3B :)

2019-09-12 23.11.15.jpg

Up up and away, those fully sick 22's looking smaller by the minute .

2019-09-12 23.15.40.jpg

Ahh finally the bot we want with the most oil leaks I have seen, so much oil leaks the underside of the carpet was soaked from it ...

Must have been a big night got to wake up and see the left overs :)

The Old 80 must have been sad it was trying to snuggle up to its older brother, he was no help though his head was sore and waiting for a 12HT to make him happy again .

So long 80 ....

2019-09-16 19.00.56.jpg

:popcorn:. This is gonna be a fun one to watch! Godspeed.

:popcorn:. This is gonna be a fun one to watch! Godspeed.

Thanks, trying to get it done for November ... dunno how that will go though lots of stuff to do so it might slip. As long as it is ready for Rubithon Next year ( 2020 ) all good .

Sweet, here is my other one which is my BJ46 , it always looked like the wheel needed to go back at least 5 inches

View attachment 2085629
I'd agree with you on the distance it needs to go back.

Here is my 1983 BJ46. Comes with A/C and 5 speed. Plan is to put HZJ75 rear end on with disc brakes, 15BFTE engine in there and do a full resto on the car while moving the rear axle back 4"-6" to get it looking correct. Will be painted in medium blue (857 I think)
424336108.jpg

I'd agree with you on the distance it needs to go back.

Here is my 1983 BJ46. Comes with A/C and 5 speed. Plan is to put HZJ75 rear end on with disc brakes, 15BFTE engine in there and do a full resto on the car while moving the rear axle back 4"-6" to get it looking correct. Will be painted in medium blue (857 I think)View attachment 2090156
Have to love a 46. What is the measurement of the back of your wheel arch to back of truck ?

Where are u getting the 15bt

Have to love a 46. What is the measurement of the back of your wheel arch to back of truck ?

Where are u getting the 15bt

Previous owner hacked the guard so its no longer standard.

Still looking around for an engine. Coaster buses have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom