Building Sliders - Help With Under Cat Support (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm building a set of sliders. The DS went easy and now I am working on the PS. I have everything ready to weld up except for the support under the cats. I have tried using the plate method with the four oem holes on the frame, but just can't get any strength out of it unless I use very large tube which kills my clearance. The side-by-side cats on the '94 have very little room between the frame and going under them for support and protection sucks.

So, in thinking out of the box, I made a support that attaches in front of the cats and routes over the exhaust. I will u-bolt it to the frame and pin it with two screws to the body mount. I ran a quick FEA and I can get about 1,500-lbs with this single connection. (I'm going to try a few mods that will make it stronger - could also go chrome-moly or ss - using A1010 now) This should be about enough to lift the PS wheel off the ground. I can then fab a plate that runs under the cat for protection that doesn't have to support the slider.

So, my question is, before I weld, is there a good reason why I shouldn't go this route. And, is the under the cat method better and strong enough. Opinions good, bad or otherwise appreciated.

IMG_7102 copy.jpg

IMG_7104 copy.jpg

slider support.jpg
IMG_7102 copy.jpg
IMG_7104 copy.jpg
slider support.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I need to be there, but if you are planning on welding that mount to the slider, I can't see how you're gonna be able to get it installed. I assume you are welding it off the truck, finishing/painting, then installing as shown.

Yes, welding/painting off the truck. The slider is 2x4 rectangle tubing. I will weld to the slider a connection that will bolt to this support arm. I wouldn't be get this arm over the exhaust if it was welded to the slider.

Is the bracket bolted to the body mount on the frame? I'd be concerned about damaging the rather thin body mount if you go that route.

Also, if the slider bracket is a single piece of plate like that it won't provide much resistance to fore/aft movement. Of course your other brackets might take care of that.

My $0.02

I was planning on u-bolting to the frame and two bolts into the body mount bracket. Once it is bolted to the slider, it should be very rigid both longitudinally and laterally.

I think it will be plenty strong, but never seen this done before, so just checking. Thanks for the input.

It should be able to take upwards force since its basically an arch but if you leave it in its current configuration id be worried about twisting and bending. One easy way to make that plate stronger would be to "I" beam it kind of like the uprights on an arb front bumper..

Also, since its going to be bolted at the frame you should make it bolt to the slider as well.

D

I think I'd still go underneath the cat, the ease of mount/dismount plus the fact it will act as a skidplate for the cat seems worth more to me than ground clearance.

And for those who say you never need to pull a slider, I just had mine off last month while diagnosing a weird running condition - turned out I had a plugged cat. I suppose the arguement could be made the DS slider never needs to come off, but the PS I'd keep as removable.

One easy way to make that plate stronger would be to "I" beam it kind of like the uprights on an arb front bumper..

Also, since its going to be bolted at the frame you should make it bolt to the slider as well.

D

Agreed. I will be adding some support that will create and I-beam shape and will be bolting it to the slider. Hope to finish this weekend. Can't wait to test it.

Here is the final design bolted in. It easily supports the front corner, no deflection at all. I'm happy with the way it turned out and it is very, very strong. Now, just need to attach to the slider.

IMG_7106[1].jpg
IMG_7106[1].jpg

Can I see some finished pictures of the sliders? Seems like a good design for homemade sliders, was wondering the same thing about the front corner being supported if hit.

Very creative. It looks like you ended up going with two plates and added a cross section for more lateral strength. Is that correct?

Any negative side effects of ditching the factory body mount and going with your rigid design?

No problems so far. I'm happy with the design and would do it again. I welded square tubing to the slider and some 1/4" plate to that tubing so I could bolt it to my support arm. It has held up well.

YOU HAVE ANY MORE PICS OF HOW THEY MOUNT AND THE OVERALL FINISHED PRODUCT FROM THE SIDE OF THE TRUCK?

here are a few picts. i want to add some kickers using DOM but don't have a tubing bender...., yet. they are very basic but get the job done and taken a lot of abuse. cost <$100 in material as it was all scrap.

IMG_0460 copy.jpg IMG_0463 copy.jpg IMG_0465 copy.jpg IMG_0466 copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom