Building radius arms, bushing recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
THE PROJECT: So I got an elocker axle from an 80 to SAS my Taco. Have it all torn apart, brackets shaved, waiting on a seal/rebuild set from Cruiser Outfitters. So in the mean-time, I've been reading around and trying to find what the best bushings are for this job, as I am building radius arms for the truck. They will be tube based, castor adjusting. As we all know, radius arms work with bushing deflection. Combined with me wanting to be able to drive it somewhat comfortably for long periods, like moving back to OR, I am not wanting to use heims if I can help it; excluding steering.

MY FIRST QUESTION: For this suspension, do any of you have any recommendations for a suitable off the shelf rubber (or something nice and flexy) bushing for the ends of the radius arms? I have been thinking my best bet is cutting the retaining ring off the stock 80 arms and building arms around those, but I am a bit hesitant on welding to what appears to be a cast arm (though reinforcements are welded on Tacoma cast spindles and its considered 'safe'). And I dont really know how 'good' the stock bushings are compared with other options.

MY LAST QUESTION: As it pertains to 80 bushings on the arms, are there any limiting factors with them? As in do the flex well for a radius arm setup? I think I read a limiting factor is the actual arm hits the mounting bracket(s) on the axle under higher flex, thus limiting movement-Is this true?

Thanks homies.

My .02.
Stock arms with stock bushings last a very long time, put up with a ton of abuse and flex plenty.

I replaced all of the front bushings on my '94 FZJ80 a few months back with Toyota parts from Cruiser Dan. Dan also recommended doing the sway arm bushings, which I did. It made a very noticeable improvement in handling (reduced wandering). This is the fix I have been searching for to get the handling under control. The next time this thing goes in the shop, I (actually my mechanic) will be doing the rear bushings. I think Toyota has the right formula for these bushings - not too stiff to cause harsh handling with nice feel of control. If they last close to 20 years like the originals, I won't complain about the price. Can anyone comment on the need for an alignment when I do get to replacing the rear bushings?

MY LAST QUESTION: As it pertains to 80 bushings on the arms, are there any limiting factors with them? As in do the flex well for a radius arm setup? I think I read a limiting factor is the actual arm hits the mounting bracket(s) on the axle under higher flex, thus limiting movement-Is this true?

Thanks homies.

True I had my arms narrowed and was able to eliminate the mechanical bind making the bushings the limiting factor. After using aftermarket bushing I would not use anything but OEM.

If you set up is one off why not 3 link?

Thanks folks.

I dont want to do a 3 link mostly because I want it to be more road friendly. Yeah, you can go to lengths to get it to be more stable, but it's still super-flexy, which is why it rocks off road. Also 3 links pretty much require heims. THey are great joints, but being metal on metal everywhere, you feel more of the road that bushings get rid of. And they make more noise.

The lifted 80 on radius arms is actually a great potential for more of a street issue than the 3 link. All my links have a heim at one end and bushing at the other. There is no harshness/vibe delivered to the chassis.

I daily drive mt trucks, so i share most peoples concerns on all of those issues.

Hmm. What bushings you use? I thought most non-rubber (which is what I see aftermarket the most) dont have as much usable angle change?

The heim at the frame takes all the angles, ruffstuff sells good poly bushings that slide into 2".250 which i use @ the axle

You got a build thread for said vehicle?

And thanks for your input too, mmmI4. Bookmarked your thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom