Building Overland Rig with a Clean '93 FZJ80 - Needs Complete Engine Rebuild - Worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40, FJ55, FJ60, etc. = old school
FZJ80 - not so much

Doesn't mean that they are not reliable. They are. Just not old school. And this comes from someone old.
'Old school' is subjective I guess. IMO the 80 being antique vehicle age is one of the many reasons at this point it is definitely old school. Compare it to any modern car and it definitely feels of a different era (in a good way). The 80 was the pinnacle of the US market land cruiser in many ways.

I own a 5th gen 4Runner and a 80, I have also owned 40 and 60 series. I thought the 60 series was a great rig. My 80 series beats it hands down. My 4Runner is also very capable in stock form and I really like it also. But it does not have the soul and feel that the 80 has!
That being said, you would be money in the bank/have a more reliable rig if you start with a 5th gen 4Runner vs the high mileage 80 you are considering.
I do ALL my own work, I just bought my 80 last March with the plans for an overland/exploration machine. I have about $2500 in parts so far just for PM and there is still more to go. It has 285000 miles and a very healthy engine. I also have several hundred hours of labour into it also.
If you are not going to do the PM work and pay someone else to do it then the 4Runner is a superior financial decision!
Even if you pay someone to do all of the work, unless you buy a totally clapped out 80, you'll still be way ahead total cost wise of anything new. I admittedly don't do all my own work (some not all) and I am into my 80 a retarded amount of $$$ but even if I added it all up, it would still fall short of a brand new 4runner and its at least 3x as cool.

If the engine needs replaced why not install a used engine that's in good condition. Then if you decide you really like the cruiser and want to keep it long term you can rebuild the original engine at your leisure and install it down the road (if needed).

I had a 1987 FJ60 that burned about a quart at every fill-up. Ran great, but the oil usage was worrisome. I picked up a case of 10/30 and drove it across country, then sold it to a lesbian for $1500 more than I paid for it. Was straight up with her about the oil consumption, said she was going to restore it. I had about 20 ppl respond to my ad after I sold it, all wanting to buy it despite the oil usage. That was an old school carburated 2F engine, now the 1FZ is a straight six version with modern electronic engine management. Lesson was that never sell yourself short to a lesbian just because it uses a little oil. These fzj's with their solid front axles will appreciate in value and yours has been a family member, so go buy a used engine and keep it in the family. You'll regret it if you don't.

'Old school' is subjective I guess. IMO the 80 being antique vehicle age is one of the many reasons at this point it is definitely old school. Compare it to any modern car and it definitely feels of a different era (in a good way). The 80 was the pinnacle of the US market land cruiser in many ways.

Even if you pay someone to do all of the work, unless you buy a totally clapped out 80, you'll still be way ahead total cost wise of anything new. I admittedly don't do all my own work (some not all) and I am into my 80 a retarded amount of $$$ but even if I added it all up, it would still fall short of a brand new 4runner and its at least 3x as cool.

He was talking a used 5th gen 4Runner.

The labour $hours if he is not doing the work will be substantial.
A 5th gen can be had for $15-18,000. It will have less than 150,000 miles. I am almost there, lots of folks more than that and they are trouble free! I have had zero failures, just wear and tear. Only brakes and front wheel bearings. I would point and go anywhere in mine, hesitant free.
As I said, I do all my own work, have for pretty much forever. I know how many hours these rigs take, and if you are not doing any if the work it will easily surpass the cost by double of a good used 5th gen 4Runner.

BUT, I do agree, it’s not a Land Cruiser, I was away for 10 years, very happy to be back in one!

He was talking a used 5th gen 4Runner.

The labour $hours if he is not doing the work will be substantial.
A 5th gen can be had for $15-18,000. It will have less than 150,000 miles. I am almost there, lots of folks more than that and they are trouble free! I have had zero failures, just wear and tear. Only brakes and front wheel bearings. I would point and go anywhere in mine, hesitant free.
As I said, I do all my own work, have for pretty much forever. I know how many hours these rigs take, and if you are not doing any if the work it will easily surpass the cost by double of a good used 5th gen 4Runner.

BUT, I do agree, it’s not a Land Cruiser, I was away for 10 years, very happy to be back in one!

Thats a totally different story then. Yes, if you are talking well used 5th gen in the $15-$18k range, you will definitely be more into an 80 doing it right especially if you plan to modify it. Not totally sure what I am into my 80 at this point but if I were to guess, it's probably double the 'well-used 5th gen" 4runner range and that's with plenty of my own labor as well!

That said, it has been totally worth it. No new truck out there with the character, capability and reliability of a well set up 80. It is Toyota's halo truck from the halo era. Won't be a point in my life when I don't own at least one 80.

Thats a totally different story then. Yes, if you are talking well used 5th gen in the $15-$18k range, you will definitely be more into an 80 doing it right especially if you plan to modify it. Not totally sure what I am into my 80 at this point but if I were to guess, it's probably double the 'well-used 5th gen" 4runner range and that's with plenty of my own labor as well!

That said, it has been totally worth it. No new truck out there with the character, capability and reliability of a well set up 80. It is Toyota's halo truck from the halo era. Won't be a point in my life when I don't own at least one 80.

I have a 93 LC, three years ago I blew a hole in the #6 piston, a consequence of running lean with a supercharger. I considered used engines and v-8 conversions. In the end I decided that what I really wanted was a new stock engine. I have rebuilt engines in the past but I don't have a place to work inside and would have to pay for any machine work. I decided to have a local shop, that I really trust, rebuild the engine. I wanted and got all OEM parts, starting with a short block. The head only needed a valve job. Out the door, $10,500.

Is it worth the money? For me it is. It is my 2nd 80 series, the first of which had 300K miles and I like the vehicle. Do I have too much invested, could I sell it and get the money out of it? Yes, too much invested, & No I will never get the money out of it. It is an expensive hobby. It is not a daily driver. I justify it by not owning cars that I make payments on. It is cheaper than girlfriends, gambling and divorce (as long as your wife is ok with your spending your time and money on it, otherwise it can lead to divorce).

Have a good mechanic examine it, have them tell you what is wrong, decide if you want to spend the money. It is the same advice I give to my friends, children and brothers.

Good luck.

New short block is $3-4k.

New head is $1500-2k

11101-69107

Cams are about $500 each

There is more but that gets the big ticket items. Nobody knows how much longer this stuff will be available, 25yr service life. It could be up in 2022 or since the 80 was made until 2006 overseas it could be longer. When its gone though, its gone for ever.

Cheers

It is cheaper than girlfriends, gambling and divorce (as long as your wife is ok with your spending your time and money on it, otherwise it can lead to divorce).
Funny you mention divorce... there have been a few times I thought my cruiser would lead me that way. I'm still not sure I'm in the clear :eek:

Since this is your parents old rig, that drastically changes the situation. A couple of questions will help factor in if this is a good idea.

1. What color is it?
2. What color is Toyota paper leather interior?
3. How did your parents own it?
4. How will did they maintain it?
5. Did they ever overheat it or run it on low oil?

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new DD/overland vehicle and I am considering purchasing my parent's 1993 FZJ80 off of them for $3k. Its got the usual issues: bad seat gears, torn leather, but the body is clean and it's 100% rust free top and bottom. Unfortunately, it burns oil like nobody's business and none of the obvious fixes have done the trick. If I plan on having to rebuild the engine (top and bottom) would that be a huge financial mistake? I would need all of it to be done by a shop as I just don't have the time/space to take on that sort of a project at the moment. I have done a bit of research and it seems like this could run between $8-12k. It's a ton of money to spend on a ~30yo vehicle, but it seems like if the outcome is a clean FZJ80 thats likely to go another 2-300K miles, then a $16-21K total investment (includes engine rebuild, bumpers, lift, tires, wheels, rack, sleeping platform) is actually a decent value for a reliable, totally built overland rig. Based on prices here, I think I might even be able to get my money back if I go through all of this and decide I need something newer. Other options I am considering are: 2nd gen tacoma or 5th gen 4runner. Building either of those vehicles would push my budget closer to $25k for the builds I am considering. The gas mileage and amenities of the newer rigs would be nice, but they aren't 80s...

What do you guys think? Would you rebuild the 80? Is it a decent financial decision? Is my budget reasonable?

Thanks!

My two cents from a guy who is not the most mechanically inclined. Many in these forums are straight up LC master mechanics with full on shops at home. So it is important to be honest with yourself on your skills and willingness to spend weekends being pissed when you screw stuff up as you learn. I love my 80. it only has 140k miles and burns a quart a 1000 miles. I have spent quite a bit on it, mainly bc I am not equipped or knowledgeable enough to do some of the bigger stuff. If it's rusty....forget it. If its not and you are prepared to spend upwards of 30k to get it perfect do it. (assuming you won't be rebuilding engines or doing other big jobs on your own) All the armor and s*** will cost you 5k for a slee or 4x4 labs front and rear alone. Add in 1k for a winch and you are at 6-7k and you havent touched a thing mechanically.

I have found that parts are expensive and starting to get hard to find depending on what you are looking for. I have gone back and forth in my mind about a V8 conversion or the new turbo system that is out now. They guzzle gas, burn oil, cost a ton to maintain but I love this truck so much. They are beasts. I get thumbs up everywhere I go in a 23 yr old 4x4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom