Building my own platform/drawer system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When you can't justify spending $1500s on a drawer system...you build your own.
Just wanted to share the progress which coming along very nice. I will post the end result when I put everything together this weekend.

PXL_20210221_010157821.jpg

PXL_20210221_205713486.jpg

PXL_20210221_015212142.jpg

Got some time to put it together and I'm glad it worked out as first try.

PXL_20210224_014622478.jpg

PXL_20210224_014804207.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Does your version require removal of the 3rd row seats? How do you plan to secure to platform/drawers to the floor?

I always see drawer systems made out of wood. Wood is heavy, thicker than other possible materials and especially the laminated wood usually used in time it will delaminate if it gets enough moisture on it from spills, ski boots, wetsuits, dog water bowls, etc.
Although from your photos, your work is looking really professional, looking forward to your finished project! :cheers:

But...

I'd like to see some drawer systems made of other materials like maybe plastic sheet, aluminum, honeycomb panels, or??
I truly understand the cost issue and thus why you're using the materials you are, but my rhetorical question is more pointed towards all the other builders out there, both professional and the garage builder that may have deeper pockets. Although some materials are even cheaper than wood! Take a look below.
Just as an example you can get corrugated plastic sheet, 4mm (0.157") thick x 96" x 60" that have a break test of about 5,000 lbs. Cost? 10 sheet for $58.99.
4mm fluted Corrugated Plastic sheets coroplast 4mm laminated corrugated plastic sheeting, extra strong fluted plastic corrugated sheets, black, white, clear 60 x 96 white, 5' x 8' corrugated plastic sheets - https://corrugatedplastics.net/4mmFlutedCorrugatedPlasticSheets.html
This material would be impervious to almost anything, oil, water, freezing, extreme hot weather, drying out, chipping, etc. And you can't buy anything but the cheapest lumber for that price.
This is just about the perfect material if correctly used! Basically pay attention to the direction of the corrugation when cutting and laying it out.

I always see drawer systems made out of wood. Wood is heavy, thicker than other possible materials and especially the laminated wood usually used in time it will delaminate if it gets enough moisture on it from spills, ski boots, wetsuits, dog water bowls, etc.
Although from your photos, your work is looking really professional, looking forward to your finished project! :cheers:

But...

I'd like to see some drawer systems made of other materials like maybe plastic sheet, aluminum, honeycomb panels, or??
I truly understand the cost issue and thus why you're using the materials you are, but my rhetorical question is more pointed towards all the other builders out there, both professional and the garage builder that may have deeper pockets. Although some materials are even cheaper than wood! Take a look below.
Just as an example you can get corrugated plastic sheet, 4mm (0.157") thick x 96" x 60" that have a break test of about 5,000 lbs. Cost? 10 sheet for $58.99.
4mm fluted Corrugated Plastic sheets coroplast 4mm laminated corrugated plastic sheeting, extra strong fluted plastic corrugated sheets, black, white, clear 60 x 96 white, 5' x 8' corrugated plastic sheets - https://corrugatedplastics.net/4mmFlutedCorrugatedPlasticSheets.html
This material would be impervious to almost anything, oil, water, freezing, extreme hot weather, drying out, chipping, etc. And you can't buy anything but the cheapest lumber for that price.
This is just about the perfect material if correctly used! Basically pay attention to the direction of the corrugation when cutting and laying it out.
There are a couple barriers to using alternative materials. For one, you can't run down the the hardware store to get a look at the product. Secondly, there are not ready example of others using similar materials to build. Cost is also certainly a barrier. While the sheets are sold in 10 packs, they're priced per sheet, so the minimum purchase price for the linked material would be 589.90 + shipping. Wood is easy to shape and construct using screws, nails, and glue.
I'd also like to see examples of diy projects using other materials, but price, availability, and prior experience are substantial barriers to most diyers.

Reactions: r2m
Nice. Does your version require removal of the 3rd row seats? How do you plan to secure to platform/drawers to the floor?
Yes, my goal was to level out with 2nd row seats folded down so I could eventually use it as sleeping platform while having some storage as well.
I actually bolted it down using existing holes from 3rd row seats

But...

I wrapped the top with water proof cargo liner for oem look. But yes, I will look into plastic sheet. Thank you for the feedback.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom