Building my battery tray (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I’ve been coming to mud for years finding info that has truly helped me beyond belief. Between a few 60 series cruisers a 40 and a few 55s I’ve always found the info I needed (or most of it) from all of y’all. So first off thank y’all so very much!! I was taking with some cruiser guys about my project 55 I’m building up and I was convinced to document my journey this time along.

I’ll post my full build thread this weekend when I get a chance to take more pictures of everything.

One of the things I knocked out today was my battery tray I wanted to build. I’m not sure if anyone has posted up a battery tray build on here but thought I’d drop one on here just in case. The original tray in my pig was rotted away and was virtually non existent. I wanted a slightly more heavy duty tray that would be mounted in the stock location. I went and got some 1/8” thick steel plate from my local metal shop and started to make templates out of my one good side of the original brace.
I measured out the width of my battery (27 group size) 12” long. And made my base based off of the factory size battery. I plan on installing a plastic tray for the battery to sit in to cut down on vibration and allow for drainage if the battery ever leaks or gets water underneath. I’ll post more pictures as I instal the plastic tray later on.
After measuring out all the pieces and cutting them out I welded the rest of it up into what it is now. I can post dimensions of the tray tomorrow to show the size of everything.
Here’s some of the pictures of how it turned out. Excuse the not so great welds. (Not a professional haha) the project from start to finish only took about an hour and a half from start (raw sheet metal) to finish product all welded up. so wasn’t too bad and I’m happy with how it’s coming along so far. I just threw the battery in there as a mock up to show how it sits down. Bottom of the tray is about 1/16” from touching the fender and the top posts of the battery are still clear of the hood by a solid 1.5-2”.

I was taking with some cruiser guys about my project 55 I’m building up and I was convinced to document my journey this time along.
Is this build thread going to start and end with a battery tray?
Awesome battery tray but I believe the sty is going to need more pictures of the pig when you find time.
Words are always optional down here in the sty but always welcome as long as they accompany pictures.

Is this build thread going to start and end with a battery tray?
Awesome battery tray but I believe the sty is going to need more pictures of the pig when you find time.
Words are always optional down here in the sty but always welcome as long as they accompany pictures.
“I’ll post my full build thread this weekend when I get a chance to take more pictures of everything. “

I got the project several weeks back and have been gathering parts to get it fully operational. I plan on making a completely different thread of my build. This was just showing the battery tray if someone needed to build their own.
Being that it’s been less than a day I don’t have a fully restored piggy yet. As much as I’d love to be a wizard and flick my wrist a few times and have everything already built I just don’t have that ability. So in time you’ll see pictures and write ups of the process trickle in. :cheers:

Am I the only one jealous of that factory AC!

Tray looks great man. I see posts like this of guys building useful things themselves and I am reminded that I need to learn to weld
Thanks!! I’m really happy I pulled the trigger on my Hobart 140. Great little welder for automotive and house projects! The mig makes it very easy for an amateur to do work like me. Haha I’ll take all the help I can get!

Am I the only one jealous of that factory AC!

Tray looks great man. I see posts like this of guys building useful things themselves and I am reminded that I need to learn to weld
Also I lucked out finding a piggy with all the factory ac components in place. Crazy thing is I depressed the low side ac port and she actually had pressure in the system! SUPER stoked when I saw that. So hopefully she’ll just need a good little flush and refill the system with some new oil and r12. Fingers crossed!!

Looking good. How does the battery get attached?

Also, you forgot one of the more important details... what year? ;)
I plan on adding a lip to the bottom with two holes on each side for the hold down to hook in to. Will keep y’all posted how that turns out. :grinpimp:
And Ding Ding!! Lil’ John got it. She’s a 1974. Factory air, factory pto, compression is great across the board and everything seems to be unmolested so I think the 78,000 miles on the clock is original.

The first ones here are from outside of ear to ear and the second ones are from center of bolt to center of bolt

Nice looking battery tray. What are you going to do for tiedowns?

Sweet Score on the factory a/c and oem PTO!

On a side note: There are zero parts available for the ND CC2M compressor you have, so please don’t toss any factory a/c parts if you get trouble from an A/C shop. Been down the road of modern A/C tech wanting to just toss new parts at a system...

Nice looking battery tray. What are you going to do for tiedowns?

Sweet Score on the factory a/c and oem PTO!

On a side note: There are zero parts available for the ND CC2M compressor you have, so please don’t toss any factory a/c parts if you get trouble from an A/C shop. Been down the road of modern A/C tech wanting to just toss new parts at a system...
Thanks, I plan on adding a lip to the bottom of the tray with a small hole on both sides to hook the long bolts in to for the tie downs. And it’s just a generic metal hold down on top.
But yep, I don’t plan on getting rid of a single thing. I’ll be doin all the work myself. I think the little certification I need to legally buy r12 is only like $35 so i plan on getting that in a few weeks before I start to work on the ac system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom