building custom sliders

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
SILVER Star

It depends how good your mounting system is and whether you like your pinch welds or not. I mounted mine about 1/4" below the pinch weld. I probably bent the pinch weld 1/8" after 3 years of banging around in the rocks. I saw some that were mounted poorly about 1/2" below the pinch weld and the rocks had flexed his sliders so much that his pinch weld was flat.

BRKLYN1

ginericfj80 said:
It depends how good your mounting system is and whether you like your pinch welds or not. I mounted mine about 1/4" below the pinch weld. I probably bent the pinch weld 1/8" after 3 years of banging around in the rocks. I saw some that were mounted poorly about 1/2" below the pinch weld and the rocks had flexed his sliders so much that his pinch weld was flat.

what do you feel is the best way to mount sliders ?

Taz

I was planing on clamping around the frame with u-bolts, I don't like welding to the frame because it will weeken it. When ever we welded to the frame of our farm trucks the frame (not the weld) would eventually crack!

lahar50

Not tring to steal your tread but I just posted some pics of the ones I made yesterday.You may not like them but they mount different from any I have seen. :)

chappysfj40

SILVER Star

welding to frame can crack it yes, but what you can do to prolong this is make diamond plates that weld to the frame and weld them on and then weld your sliders to that, do angles on the frame not straight up and down if you help, just my 2 cents worth enjoy.

I welded mine to the frame and the mounts where the factory running boards used to be. This ties both body and frame together, making the sliders stong and placing less strain on the welds on the frame. However, I think Im getting more road noise than usual. Nothing bad, but I notice it. I can send a pic if interested.

Later

LandyLover said:
I welded mine to the frame and the mounts where the factory running boards used to be. This ties both body and frame together, making the sliders stong and placing less strain on the welds on the frame. However, I think Im getting more road noise than usual. Nothing bad, but I notice it. I can send a pic if interested.

Later
Are you asking for problems???? You tied your body to the frame??? Why don't you just go put steel spacers in at your body mounts too... I think, but could be wrong, they are rubber for a reason. You trying to be like Heep?...

Im not asking for problems. I use my sliders everytime I go out and each time Im glad I didnt weld to just the frame. Think about the leverage you have with the weight of the truck on the frame rail. No regrets, no problems with tying body to frame and would do it again.

Later

Top Bottom