Building Custom 24Volt Cummins 12Valve Off-road Rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I Plan to build a 2005 F250 off-road rig that runs a 24 Volt system with 2 Parallel 24v batteries but I'm wondering how easy or difficult that would be to do with a 12 Valve Cummins engine, and what all would I need to change?

Other than smaller wire over longer distances, what other advantages would a 24 volt system have in an Off-road setting in heat, snow, and everything in between?

Yes I plan to re-wire the entire truck I will be ripping out all electronics and only use power for things to run the truck, off-road gear, or AC/Heat.

So I Plan to build a 2005 F250 off-road rig that runs a 24 Volt system with 2 Parallel 24v batteries but I'm wondering how easy or difficult that would be to do with a 12 Valve Cummins engine, and what all would I need to change?

Other than smaller wire over longer distances, what other advantages would a 24 volt system have in an Off-road setting in heat, snow, and everything in between?

Yes I plan to re-wire the entire truck I will be ripping out all electronics and only use power for things to run the truck, off-road gear, or AC/Heat.
I am using a 24-volt system in my Cummins swap. I also have a 12valve Cummins and trying to put in the HJ60. In the beginning, my HJ60 is the default 24-volt system, so I don't need to rewire the whole car; however, I have to reconfigure the engine. I am using Isuzu 80 amp 24-volt alternator with a vacuum pump. For the starter, you also need a 24-volt starter. Those are much bigger than the 12-volt counterparts, so be careful about the dimensions. In addition, you will need to repurpose the AC clutch for the 24-volt.

For the engine switches, nothing is different. You can use your thermal and pressure switches with 24-volt. However, you have to change all sensors with the 24-volt counterparts.

And one last thing, Grid heater. Usually, those are 12-volt. Never ever supply a heater with 24-volt. Heavy machinery with Cummins uses 24-volt grid heaters. You can find them on eBay or Komatsu, or Case tractor dealers.

For your second question, I am not an expert on auto electricity or electrical things. However, in my experience, 24-volt appliances are more durable than 12-volt. Size-wise, 24-volt pars are larger. You should consider the space.

Charging the batteries sometimes become fish. One always became more complete than the other. It is a good practice to balance them or swap the location every six months. Another drawback is finding the 24 pars are sometimes challenging. A basic example is car audio. Those always come with a 12-volt setup. So you have to use a DC-DC converter for them.

And lastly, some of them need tick wire. Using the smaller gauge wire is not always the case. For example, the starter. It is more powerful than the 12-volt counterpart, so it has the same wire thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom