FAQ Building an FAQ for the 90 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDM Journeys

Threads
It's about time isn't it? With Prado 90's finally available for US import, I'm guessing we will see more stateside members in the coming years than we have previously. So maybe it's time for a compendium of threads where folks have already answered key questions? This thread will be where folks can post links to helpful threads from here in this forum (please link to the actual post, rather than the entire thread, esp if its a rambling build thread that encompasses years). I'll make another sticky with the edited FAQ contents, and as I add the links to the FAQ, I'll delete your post from here, to keep things organized. Once this become a regular thing (hopefully), maybe folks can just message me direct with good FAQ's and I'll add them to the FAQ post. But for now I just wanted to get the ball rolling, and solicit those threads that helped YOU, or that you created to help others.

Here's a possible category structure... (help with nomenclature would be appreciated where its missing)

*Diesel Engines:
LJ (yes, there was an LJ90!)
1KZ-TE

*Gas Engines:
2.7 4 cylinder
3.4 V6

*Transmission/Drivetrain (I've combined these for now, until we start to amass some data)
Auto
Manual

*Suspension

*Parts Sources and Cross References

*Common Problems and fixes not related to the above categories.

I'd appreciate your feedback before we start diving in.

Last edited:
this might be a good place to land parts xref. at least a link to dedicated thread.

i'd say the most important things will be maintenance/wear items. brake parts, suspension, filters, &etc. definitely going to want/need specific part numbers: be those toyota or other.

reference materials.

fun things like wheels that fit/don't fit. suspension options for lifts...

trying to think of the things i go hunting for.

if you look at the cumulative data in every distinct model range, one can see the years and years of work that is collected here. it's staggering what mud members can do.

--r

It's about time isn't it? With Prado 90's finally available for US import, I'm guessing we will see more stateside members in the coming years than we have previously. So maybe it's time for a compendium of threads where folks have already answered key questions? This thread will be where folks can post links to helpful threads from here in this forum (please link to the actual post, rather than the entire thread, esp if its a rambling build thread that encompasses years). I'll make another sticky with the edited FAQ contents, and as I add the links to the FAQ, I'll delete your post from here, to keep things organized. Once this become a regular thing (hopefully), maybe folks can just message me direct with good FAQ's and I'll add them to the FAQ post. But for now I just wanted to get the ball rolling, and solicit those threads that helped YOU, or that you created to help others.

Here's a possible category structure... (help with nomenclature would be appreciated where its missing)

*Diesel Engines:
1KZ-TE

*Gas Engines:
2.7 4 cylinder
3.4 V6

*Transmission/Drivetrain (I've combined these for now, until we start to amass some data)
Auto
Manual

*Suspension

What a great idea JDM Journeys.
I will also be able to supply some useful info here to help out our 90 series bro's and sisters. Mud has been my savior many times in the past over the years... time to pay it forward.

*Diesel Engines:
1KZ-TE

*Gas Engines:
2.7 4 cylinder
3.4 V6

Auto
Manual

*Suspension

Good idea Phil!

Lets not forget the direct injected models with the 1KD engine... I had my eye on one of these for a while, but then realized even with seating for 7 (3rd row seats) it still would not fit my 3 boys very well, especially on longer trips.

I second what solomrus suggested with the common maintenance stuff first, where to obtain parts and supplies, etc. then work outwards from there to upgrades, aftermarket gems, addressing weak points, etc.

Keep up the good work my friend! :cheers:

we've got a pretty good list started of toyota part numbers that apply to our 96 kzj90. eventually i'll put something legible together and post it in this thread.

mainly brake parts interchange at this point, fuel filter, oil filter. body and bumper trim and clips.

--r

this might be a good place to land parts xref. at least a link to dedicated thread.

i'd say the most important things will be maintenance/wear items. brake parts, suspension, filters, &etc. definitely going to want/need specific part numbers: be those toyota or other.

reference materials.

fun things like wheels that fit/don't fit. suspension options for lifts...

trying to think of the things i go hunting for.

if you look at the cumulative data in every distinct model range, one can see the years and years of work that is collected here. it's staggering what mud members can do.

--r
Yes, like I need to source pads and rotors for my 96 Prado? Are they the same components as used on LCs sold in the US at that time? Or the 4Runner?

Your front disks are 11/95 to 07/02 4Runner , pads are 01/95 to 08/04 Tacoma,
rear disks are 08/02 to 07/09 4Runner , pads are 01/90 to 12/06 FJ LC

Cheers

Yes, like I need to source pads and rotors for my 96 Prado? Are they the same components as used on LCs sold in the US at that time? Or the 4Runner?
The front pads are correct. The front rotors for the 4Runner and Tacomas diameter was 11.6 and that is too small.

Called my local Toyota dealer to see if they had brakes, shocks for my 1997 Toyota Prado and lo and behold he said they could get them, OEM. Rotors, pads came out to $295 for the pair with tax and rear shocks were $72 ea. Ill get the part numbers out here after I order the parts.

The info I posted is correct. The same OEM p/n front rotor 43512-35210 was used on the 4Runner. I have installed the 4Runner rotors on three 95's to date.
The toyodiy.com parts cross referance is an invaluable tool when looking for these JDM parts.
My favorite Prado EPC is at Partsouq.com

Cheers

The info I posted is correct. The same OEM p/n front rotor 43512-35210 was used on the 4Runner. I have installed the 4Runner rotors on three 95's to date.
The toyodiy.com parts cross referance is an invaluable tool when looking for these JDM parts.
My favorite Prado EPC is at Partsouq.com

Cheers

The 3rd gen 4Runner came with 2 different rotor diameters stateside - the 4 cylinder and the 6 had different diameter rotors. The Prado only came with the larger rotor - the smaller rotor was not an option for the Prado regardless of engine optioned as far as I'm aware. Not every parts source (ahem, Amazon) distinguishes between the different rotors and lists them as a fit for a 1996 4Runner. Either double-check to make sure the ones you get fit the 6 cylinder 4Runner, or make sure they have good return policies when you order.

The 3rd gen 4Runner came with 2 different rotor diameters stateside - the 4 cylinder and the 6 had different diameter rotors. The Prado only came with the larger rotor - the smaller rotor was not an option for the Prado regardless of engine optioned as far as I'm aware. Not every parts source (ahem, Amazon) distinguishes between the different rotors and lists them as a fit for a 1996 4Runner. Either double-check to make sure the ones you get fit the 6 cylinder 4Runner, or make sure they have good return policies when you order.
I’m using a shop next to two auto parts stores. The problem in the US is if it doesn’t fit their computer’s drop down
Menus, they don’t know what to do. The front rotors for my KZJ95 appear to be 13 mm. If they look for 96 4Runner rotors, it shows they had drums.

I’m using a shop next to two auto parts stores. The problem in the US is if it doesn’t fit their computer’s drop down
Menus, they don’t know what to do. The front rotors for my KZJ95 appear to be 13 mm. If they look for 96 4Runner rotors, it shows they had drums.
*on the rear

This should help

Rear rotors (42431-60200 or 60201)
08/2002-07/2009TOYOTA 4RUNNERGRN21*,UZN21*41-02: REAR AXLE SHAFT & HUB
09/2000-10/2007TOYOTA SEQUOIAUCK35,4541-02: REAR AXLE SHAFT & HUB
Front rotors (43512-35210)
11/1995-07/2002TOYOTA 4RUNNERRZN18*,VZN18*43-03: FRONT AXLE HUB
01/1995-08/2004TOYOTA TACOMARZN161,171,VZN160,17043-03: FRONT AXLE HUB
01/1995-08/2004TOYOTA TACOMARZN140,150,19*,VZN150,19543-03: FRONT AXLE HUB

The other shortcut I've used on rear rotors - they're the same as the 80 series LC. In all things, EPC is your friend, Amayama also has good cross-reference for other Toyota models.

*Diesel Engines:
1KZ-TE

*Gas Engines:
2.7 4 cylinder
3.4 V6

Auto
Manual

*Suspension

I have a silly KZJ95 question. I don’t get a chime when I leave my headlights on. Initially I shrugged my shoulders and thought it was a LC thing or the fact that it came originally with two batteries meant you could leave the lights on for hours to set up a campsite or something, but then it occurred to me that the Japanese are so careful with everything else, I’m wondering if it should have one and maybe it just isn’t working?

Removing the jdm fender mirror. You lift out slightly and then it rotates counter clockwise to reveal the fasteners. This one had me buggered for a few weeks until tonight :)

62429CA8-D641-4A20-A9DB-A5A36989F5F7.jpeg

*Diesel Engines:
1KZ-TE

*Gas Engines:
2.7 4 cylinder
3.4 V6

Auto
Manual

*Suspension

I have a power steering pump (3L diesel) that is leaking. I ordered a cheap knockoff before I knew Toyota makes a rebuilt kit for about $50 04446-60091. A gentleman posted a YouTube vid on removing and replacing the seals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom