Building a FJ60 pro's and con's with the 1981 Model (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a FJ60 made in 1980 and sold as a 1981 Model. Fairly clean body with extensive rust on the deck lid upper and lower (Both shot). Also rear rusty fender wells as seen on many other FJ60 trucks. Runs well and appears to have been maintained well. As this is the first year (or close) is this a good one to build. I got it for cheap $1200 knowing that if it wasn't a good builder year then I could always use drivetrain for a newer FJ40 Restoration.

I am guessing but it appears to be split case with many of the same parts as the same 81 and never FJ40. So is this a split case. I thought all FJ60's were split case. I searched and also looked at it. I have to be honest I don't know the difference.

What have folks paid to have the rust around their fender wells fixed? I am not looking for exact numbers but just an idea of costs here. I was thinking this might clean up well enough for a 3B conversion out of Canada.

I can post up pics but mostly wanted input if this was a decent year for a builder trail rig.

thanks

Aaron

Surfponto

Thanks SurfPonto. man that was an old thread. thanks. I am new to the 60's.

So it is not a good builder based on that thread as the H55 would be a PITA.

I still wonder what the fender well repair has cost folks in their areas?

thanks

Aaron

RIDDLER said:
Thanks SurfPonto. man that was an old thread. thanks. I am new to the 60's.

So it is not a good builder based on that thread as the H55 would be a PITA.

I still wonder what the fender well repair has cost folks in their areas?

thanks

Aaron

Probably depends how good it has to look.:)
I was quoted $800 to do the rust on the roof/rain gutter on the driver's side of my 82 60.

Hoping to do it myself with some help from friends.

Since I want to turn it into a trail rig it really doesn't have to come out perfect.

What are you building it up to be? Wheeler? or nice resto? While an H55 is cool and great for the highway an H41 (low 1st four speed) will do the same thing on the trail and is easier to fit than the H55 on pre 85s. Rust is no biggie if it's a trail rig. The nice thing about rust on the hatch and tailgate is that it is isolated there and those pieces are easily replaced either with new or used from Cruiserparts.net As for the wheel wells, I wish I was at home, I'd post pics of what I'm doing with mine..... Imagine drawing a line around the wheel well at the point where the dip in the body comes back out on the bottom. That's where mine are being cut off. I'll post pics later.

60's

thanks for the replies. This is a trail rig only. I just hate rust. I'd love to see the pics of the restored fenders before and after.

thanks

Aaron

Pro: it is +25 years old, so it is emissions exempt...at least that's the rule in Texas
Con: if you throw in a 5-speed the drive shafts have to me modified

I can't think of any other downsides, but sometimes it's what you don't know that hurts you!

Nov 81....Worked fine for me:beer:
BA 8.jpg
BA 5.jpg
BA 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom