Building a better wiring harness??

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by amandap, Mar 10, 2004.

1. amandap

amandap

OK, after careful consideration, It seems the best way to upgrade the electrical system in my 66 FJ40 is to start from scratch and build a new wiring harness, My questions are - how large should the wire be to carry the juice from a high output alternator say 100 amp or more? How do I go about figuring how much amperage I need? ie. winch, lights, dual amp stereo system. Where can I buy HIGH quality wire, terminals, fuseblocks etc.? Should all terminals be soldered or are the good crimp connectors adequate? Will I need to re-use my stock terminals? Thanks ! :cheers:

2. ranger

ranger

Probably be easier and cheaper in the long run to get a pre-made harness. Painless sells them, and there is another company but I can't think of it of the top.

3. BLKDOG40

BLKDOG40

4. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    if you decide to do it yourself, Solder everything!! dont waste your time with crimping stuff.. i would use 14ga throuout and probably 8 or 4 for your amps alternator that sorta thing.. "Painless" would be Exactly that, but they are kinda pricy..

5. TonkaC

TonkaC

www.waytekwire.com has some really good stuff. Someone posted on it and I've used them. Good product for good prices.

Chris

6. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are going to make your own, Waytek is the way to go. They should have everything that you would need, right there. Very helpful, informative sales people. I have used them for years.

Good luck!

-Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.