Building a better wiring harness?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, after careful consideration, It seems the best way to upgrade the electrical system in my 66 FJ40 is to start from scratch and build a new wiring harness, My questions are - how large should the wire be to carry the juice from a high output alternator say 100 amp or more? How do I go about figuring how much amperage I need? ie. winch, lights, dual amp stereo system. Where can I buy HIGH quality wire, terminals, fuseblocks etc.? Should all terminals be soldered or are the good crimp connectors adequate? Will I need to re-use my stock terminals? Thanks ! :cheers:

Probably be easier and cheaper in the long run to get a pre-made harness. Painless sells them, and there is another company but I can't think of it of the top.

if you decide to do it yourself, Solder everything!! dont waste your time with crimping stuff.. i would use 14ga throuout and probably 8 or 4 for your amps alternator that sorta thing.. "Painless" would be Exactly that, but they are kinda pricy..

If you are going to make your own, Waytek is the way to go. They should have everything that you would need, right there. Very helpful, informative sales people. I have used them for years.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom