Building a 60 for family adventures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check gas cap, charcoal canister and the rubber lines behind the back passenger cargo area. I ran your carb for a few hundred miles while your motor was being rebuilt, so I doubt it’s your carb.

The gas tank vent contraption in the rear quarter panel near the filler neck was clogged on mine. I pushed a length of bailing wire into it and spun the wire with my drill. All kinds of nasty crap came out of it. That was the final solution to my gas tank woes. Any "whooshing" when you open the gas cap?

Yes, I get whooshing. I put a brand new OEM gas cap on when I bought the Cruiser, so I would think it wouldn't be that. I am almost finished installing the new charcoal canister. I need to go buy a t-connector for the lines so I can connect them up. I am pretty sure the rubber lines off the fuel tank were replaced. While working in the engine bay I can smell fuel. I don't see any evidence of a fuel leak, so I'm hoping it is just the canister.

Looks like the new charcoal canister fixed my issue. Really thankful it was a easy and inexpensive fix. Truck is running great. Love the new Kenda's and the bit of overdrive they provide.

During the Thanksgiving break, I've pulled the dash apart to install a new stereo, run new speaker wires, install new front door speakers and 6x9's in the rear panels and run power to the rear for my fridge and other accessories. Installed the Cool Cruisers center console as well. Love the addition of the arm rest!

I have the OEM brown center console for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Looks like the new charcoal canister fixed my issue. Really thankful it was a easy and inexpensive fix. Truck is running great. Love the new Kenda's and the bit of overdrive they provide.

During the Thanksgiving break, I've pulled the dash apart to install a new stereo, run new speaker wires, install new front door speakers and 6x9's in the rear panels and run power to the rear for my fridge and other accessories. Installed the Cool Cruisers center console as well. Love the addition of the arm rest!

I have the OEM brown center console and OEM am/fm stereo for sale if anyone is interested.
Sent you a PM on the radio and console

Glad to see you are back up and running and on the road again!

Kenda RT KR601 from Walmart. They were $195 when I bought them.
If I don’t go 35s those are probably my next tires. Come back and give us a report after you get same pavement/dirt/rock miles on them!

If you decide to come to Moab to try out your new setup, please bring some Roasting Ears. They taste so sweet after being warmed on the coals with the shuck on. I miss Kansas corn.

If you decide to come to Moab to try out your new setup, please bring some Roasting Ears. They taste so sweet after being warmed on the coals with the shuck on. I miss Kansas corn.
I love Moab and the surrounding area. I'm not sure when my next trip will be. I was thinking about next March, but I think it will be too cold and snowy then. Might have to come sometime in the summer.

It's been a minute since I last updated.

I've spent a lot of time on the inside of the Cruiser. I've put sound dampening material in the entire floor, side panels (inner body panels) and front doors. I haven't had to take the rear door panels off, but it's on my list of things to do. While pulling the front carpet out, something in the padding triggered a really bad allergic reaction. My wife insisted I throw the carpet away and order a new kit, which I did this week. I got a used, passenger front seat cover and cushion and swapped out of ripped driver's seat cover and broken down cushion. I also installed the HFABUSA tailgate storage door. I had something similar on my 80 series and it was very useful for the random gear I want to carry. I had an aftermarket Bosch starter that gave out and replaced it with a Toyota reman. I also replaced the thermostat to see if I could get the engine to warm up faster.

IMG_3177.jpeg

IMG_3178.jpeg

IMG_3179.jpeg
IMG_3180.jpeg
IMG_3176.jpeg

I have 5 weeks until I take the Cruiser out on its first big trip. I'll be going to the Big Bend area in Texas during Spring Break. Things to do before that trip--
  • Install fridge slide
  • Wire fridge
  • Install battery monitor
  • Install aux lights on front bumper
  • Install new headlight bulbs
  • Window tint
  • Install new interior lights
  • Tune the carb
  • Buy solar panel
I have really enjoyed driving it, though because it takes so long to warm up, I haven't driven it much in the last couple of weeks. I can't wait for warmer weather.

I've spent a lot of time on the inside of the Cruiser. I've put sound dampening material in the entire floor, side panels (inner body panels) and front doors. I haven't had to take the rear door panels off, but it's on my list of things to do. While pulling the front carpet out, something in the padding triggered a really bad allergic reaction. My wife insisted I throw the carpet away and order a new kit, which I did this week. I got a used, passenger front seat cover and cushion and swapped out of ripped driver's seat cover and broken down cushion. I also installed the HFABUSA tailgate storage door. I had something similar on my 80 series and it was very useful for the random gear I want to carry. I had an aftermarket Bosch starter that gave out and replaced it with a Toyota reman. I also replaced the thermostat to see if I could get the engine to warm up faster.

View attachment 3546455
View attachment 3546456

View attachment 3546457View attachment 3546458View attachment 3546459

I have 5 weeks until I take the Cruiser out on its first big trip. I'll be going to the Big Bend area in Texas during Spring Break. Things to do before that trip--
  • Install fridge slide
  • Wire fridge
  • Window tint
  • Tune the carb
  • Buy solar panel
I have really enjoyed driving it, though because it takes so long to warm up, I haven't driven it much in the last couple of weeks. I can't wait for warmer weather.
I’m so glad you’ve got your rig up and running! I can relate, I’m a proud new 60 owner myself and have had a few hiccups so far.
Big bend will be amazing for you in march, looks like it will be a new moon. Stars are going to be amazing! Take extra gas and a good spare!

View attachment 3546455
View attachment 3546456

View attachment 3546457View attachment 3546458View attachment 3546459

• Install fridge slide
  • Wire fridge
  • Window tint
  • Tune the carb
  • Buy solar panel
What is the blue tape under the tailgate hatch? I have a Huracán kit on the shelf but don’t remember that stuff in it

What is the blue tape under the tailgate hatch? I have a Huracán kit on the shelf but don’t remember that stuff in it
It's sound dampening material. I used it around all the edges so there wouldn't be any sharp edges. I also put it inside the tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom