Build - Washer Relocation and Second Battery Tray with Compressor Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, Mudders!

I finally got to relocating the washer bottle and installing my second battery. As much as I like options that are available, I wanted to make my own kit that is simpler, will look stockish and will not cost an arm and a leg. The results are below:

CAD (Cardboard Assisted Design) at it’s best! This was one of the prototypes of the main bracket and I ended up changing this a bit. But the idea and general location is still the same.
20230211_155136.jpg

Trial fit:

20230211_172208.jpg

20230212_113848.jpg

Finished product! I still have access to everything in that area, and even the diagnostics port is still in roughly the same location.

20230212_152157.jpg

20230212_153631.jpg

I like the simplicity of this set of brackets and the fact that the washer bottle doesn't seem out of place in that location.

Now for the battery tray.

I am not sure what’s behind Toyota’s decision to put our batteries in plastic trays, but it seems like that area can be improved. Just like the one I built for the main battery, this one is build out of 1.5x1.5x1/8 Angle. I wanted to fit another Group 31 battery so this one uses all of the available volume, and actually required some massaging of the wheel well to gain a little more clearance for height of the Group 31 battery.

20230212_132024.jpg

20230212_151128.jpg

20230212_151636.jpg

Now for the twist! I wanted to mount my ARB compressor to this tray as well.

20230212_171833.jpg

20230214_131629.jpg

The fit is tight, and the fan shroud had to be clearanced for the compressors filter to fit. I cut about a 1/4" by 2" strip out of it with a die grinder. With that all done it fits very well.

Hello, Mudders!

I finally got to relocating the washer bottle and installing my second battery. As much as I like options that are available, I wanted to make my own kit that is simpler, will look stockish and will not cost an arm and a leg. The results are below:

CAD (Cardboard Assisted Design) at it’s best! This was one of the prototypes of the main bracket and I ended up changing this a bit. But the idea and general location is still the same.
View attachment 3268625

Trial fit:

View attachment 3268626

View attachment 3268627

Finished product! I still have access to everything in that area, and even the diagnostics port is still in roughly the same location.

View attachment 3268629

View attachment 3268630

I like the simplicity of this set of brackets and the fact that the washer bottle doesn't seem out of place in that location.
Simple is good and I'm a believer in the KISS (keep it stupid simple) principle wherever possible. But what did you do about the bottom mount of the washer bottle? To be adequately supported for vibration and stress, the washer bottle needs 3 mounts as the OEM provided. One consideration from this location is heat from the proximity to the exhaust manifold and down pipes will soften the bottle material and the mounts molded into the bottle will be prone to premature failure.

Simple is good and I'm a believer in the KISS (keep it stupid simple) principle wherever possible. But what did you do about the bottom mount of the washer bottle? To be adequately supported for vibration and stress, the washer bottle needs 3 mounts as the OEM provided. One consideration from this location is heat from the proximity to the exhaust manifold and down pipes will soften the bottle material and the mounts molded into the bottle will be prone to premature failure.
Good point. The way it is mounted right now seems very solid, but I will see how easy it is to add another mounting point.

Love the work, but PLEASE PEASE PELASE get yourself some terminal insulators… they are like less than $1ea from Napa and significantly reduce the change of an electrical fire…

2145BB7D-E766-4719-B054-A5E891CDE475.jpeg

Mine, pre-scharger, 4 brackets 'formed' in a vise from 1" x 1/8" stock.

washer1.jpg

There's a 4th bracket below that the bottle 'sits' on that mounts to a lower stock bolt.

washer2.jpg

Stock bottle and easy access to the diagnostic port.

Many ways to skin the cat :)

cheers,
george.

Mine, pre-scharger, 4 brackets 'formed' in a vise from 1" x 1/8" stock.

washer1.jpg

There's a 4th bracket below that the bottle 'sits' on that mounts to a lower stock bolt.

washer2.jpg

Stock bottle and easy access to the diagnostic port.

Many ways to skin the cat :)

cheers,
george.
Absolutely agree about many ways to skin the cat!

Love the work, but PLEASE PEASE PELASE get yourself some terminal insulators… they are like less than $1ea from Napa and significantly reduce the change of an electrical fire…

View attachment 3268871
The ones I ordered turned out to be wrong size. New ones are on the way. Thank you

The end result:
Wiring on the firewall has been put in the loom since this picture has been taken.
Good work, really like this install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom