Builds Build thread - x2 HDJ81's for refurbish/restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
You guys up for a build thread? Been awhile since I have done an 80's build thread.

I got a client with two HDJ81's. He contacted me because he likes what I have done to my 1990 PZJ70, a complete refurbish. He wants my OCD style!

Basic plan is to completely go through both trucks and refurbish everything. More than just mechanical parts. Not restore so much as just refurbish. I call it a refurbish when everything is gone through, replaced and rebuilt as needed or replaced as preventative. A restore to me is more in depth and often is about keeping it 100% original and stock.

The first HDJ81 is arriving tomorrow or the next day. The turbo bearing went on it and it sucked turbo guts into the motor. The H151 trans is also not happy at all, second gear at the least is toast. That is just the start.

If you guys are interested I will do a build thread here on both trucks. If there is not much interest, I might skip it, it does take a fair amount of time to photograph and document a build.

Cheers

Sounds interesting.
Not sure if you are aware, the H150, H151 boxes are very particular about which gear oil is used.
They are known to be a bit notch shifting into 2nd, but a change of oil has prevented many a rebuild.

I just changed the gear oil in a new to me 80 with H151. A cold shift into 2nd was near impossible, after changing oils, it's 1000 times better. Shift from 1st to 2nd needs to be eased in a little, but that's par for the course with these boxes.

I've used Castrol VMX-M with good results in every cruiser I've had. Same spec as specified by Toyota, but it's a 75w85 vs 75w90 specified by Toyota.
It's friction modified for better cold shifting. Helps than shift a lot more easily in general, it cold.
I believe it was developed with Mitsubishi to resolve a cold shifting problem they had with one of their manual trans.

I'll change it out again in about 3 months, just to be sure all the old oil is gone.

I was about set to rebuild the box in my first 80 after a change of oil made it worse to shift gears. Someone suggested vmx-m and the difference was remarkable.

In for the builds!

These are going to be big builds. I received an outline of the builds this morning from the owner. It is eight pages long!

One truck he is keeping for himself. He is a professional photographer (lots of wildlife stuff) and so the truck that he keeps will be set up for backcountry travel. The other truck we are going through it completely and then he will pass it on to friends he has here in the local falconry club in Boise.

Cheers

The Cruiser has arrived. It is a 10/1990 build.

IMG_6668.JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

IMG_6667.JPG

IMG_6688.JPG

Cheers

Staying tuned for this build!

It appears the truck got "hopped up" in Japan or since it has been imported with an aftermarket boost controller. They probably over boosted it, it busted the shaft on the turbo and the rest is history. I think I am going to bore scope it and if I don't see any chunks, run it. The oil does smell a little like diesel. Will just have to see and we are still working out details of the builds.

IMG_6680.JPG

IMG_6684.JPG

Cheers

The builds are starting to take shape. What I can say right now is new OEM 80-series alloy wheels are going on both trucks. WagonGear cargo area flip up windows are also going in. A new H151 will be coming for one truck, the other I will rebuild using Terrain Tamer parts.

Cheers

It appears the truck got "hopped up" in Japan or since it has been imported with an aftermarket boost controller. They probably over boosted it, it busted the shaft on the turbo and the rest is history. I think I am going to bore scope it and if I don't see any chunks, run it. The oil does smell a little like diesel. Will just have to see and we are still working out details of the builds.

View attachment 1704108
View attachment 1704109

Cheers

I think given the compressor looks to be in one piece, you should be good.
I had a compressor hand grenade, and chunks went through the engine, and melted into little beads of alloy. Some ended up mashed into valve seats etc, most came out the back

Bump!

Starting in on the first of the two HDJ81's in September.

I have been ordering a lot of parts from @beno as well as sourcing some other goodies. Got an Exedy Safari Tuff clutch coming from Australia as well as a nice aftermarket intercooler system. Going to get a new OEM turbo from Beno. New front bumper in the works from GreenSpeed along with a few of their other goodies.

The guy who owns these trucks is quickly becoming addicted to Cruisers! He bought my 1990 PZJ70 last week and I didn't try to sell it to him at all, he just bought it on a whim.

Cheers

Last edited:
WagonGear cargo area flip up windows are also going in.
Cheers

How. Wut. I’ve been stalking and chicken hawking Wagongear like a mawfk and zero flip up email alerts. Very lucky your customer is. And I’m in for a build thread fo sho bro!

What is your reasoning for going with an OEM 1HD-T turbo? Turbo tech has changed a lot since 1990, I would at least look into a better OEM option like a hybrid HD-FTE/supra turbo. Lots of options that will improve performance and driveability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom