1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build thread - x2 HDJ81's for refurbish/restore

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by RMP&O, May 17, 2018 at 1:39 AM.

1. RMP&O

RMP&O OCD Supporting Vendor

Albums:
    You guys up for a build thread? Been awhile since I have done an 80's build thread.

I got a client with two HDJ81's. He contacted me because he likes what I have done to my 1990 PZJ70, a complete refurbish. He wants my OCD style!

Basic plan is to completely go through both trucks and refurbish everything. More than just mechanical parts. Not restore so much as just refurbish. I call it a refurbish when everything is gone through, replaced and rebuilt as needed or replaced as preventative. A restore to me is more in depth and often is about keeping it 100% original and stock.

The first HDJ81 is arriving tomorrow or the next day. The turbo bearing went on it and it sucked turbo guts into the motor. The H151 trans is also not happy at all, second gear at the least is toast. That is just the start.

If you guys are interested I will do a build thread here on both trucks. If there is not much interest, I might skip it, it does take a fair amount of time to photograph and document a build.

Cheers

2. mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

Sounds interesting.
    Not sure if you are aware, the H150, H151 boxes are very particular about which gear oil is used.
    They are known to be a bit notch shifting into 2nd, but a change of oil has prevented many a rebuild.

I just changed the gear oil in a new to me 80 with H151. A cold shift into 2nd was near impossible, after changing oils, it's 1000 times better. Shift from 1st to 2nd needs to be eased in a little, but that's par for the course with these boxes.

I've used Castrol VMX-M with good results in every cruiser I've had. Same spec as specified by Toyota, but it's a 75w85 vs 75w90 specified by Toyota.
    It's friction modified for better cold shifting. Helps than shift a lot more easily in general, it cold.
    I believe it was developed with Mitsubishi to resolve a cold shifting problem they had with one of their manual trans.

I'll change it out again in about 3 months, just to be sure all the old oil is gone.

I was about set to rebuild the box in my first 80 after a change of oil made it worse to shift gears. Someone suggested vmx-m and the difference was remarkable.

Lumpskie likes this.
  3. Predator308

Predator308

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm all about you doing a build thread!

RMP&O likes this.
  4. jdayment

jdayment SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm in for the build thread

RMP&O likes this.
  5. IanB

IanB

In for the builds!

RMP&O likes this.
  6. ZeGerman

ZeGerman

Media:
    Albums:
  7. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

AMSoil have a GL-4 option which has been a great improvement on my manual trannys ..

8. Ronny Grady

Ronny Grady

Media:
    Albums:
  9. Lumpskie

Lumpskie

10. RMP&O

Albums:
    These are going to be big builds. I received an outline of the builds this morning from the owner. It is eight pages long!

One truck he is keeping for himself. He is a professional photographer (lots of wildlife stuff) and so the truck that he keeps will be set up for backcountry travel. The other truck we are going through it completely and then he will pass it on to friends he has here in the local falconry club in Boise.

Cheers

11. RMP&O

Albums:
    The Cruiser has arrived. It is a 10/1990 build.

IMG_6668.JPG
    IMG_6665.JPG
    IMG_6666.JPG
    IMG_6667.JPG
    IMG_6688.JPG

Cheers

12. RMP&O

Albums:
  13. ExpoGeorgia

ExpoGeorgia

14. RMP&O

Albums:
    It appears the truck got "hopped up" in Japan or since it has been imported with an aftermarket boost controller. They probably over boosted it, it busted the shaft on the turbo and the rest is history. I think I am going to bore scope it and if I don't see any chunks, run it. The oil does smell a little like diesel. Will just have to see and we are still working out details of the builds.

IMG_6680.JPG
    IMG_6684.JPG

Cheers