Builds Build thread - HZJ77 - Blanco

So I have decided to attempt at doing a build thread for my HZJ77 that I recently aquired from Steve at Land Cruisers Direct. This is my third 70 series with the first being a OEM soft top, LHD, FJ73 from Colombia and the second being a RHD JDM PZJ70. I still own the PZJ70 but never did a build thread for all the things I did to it. Same for the FJ73.

For those of you that have seen all three cruisers...they have all been white. Since others are naming their cruisers in the build threads, I will go ahead and name mine "Blanco" which is basically spanish for white person. It is also the name of a small town near San Antonio.

I will be updating this thread as I go along. Right now here are some pictures that I have already posted before. New pics will follow soon.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

One of the first things I did was remove the voltage converter since it was just sitting on the pass. floorboard. Most of the wiring is intact and left alone in this cruiser except it was kinda hacked up with some unusual (to me) in-line clips to add the voltage converter.

There are more clips like this to add the device that communicates with the key fob that operates the power locks. I haven't decided if I am going to keep that or not. Driver's side power lock doesn't work with the key fob but all other locks do.

voltage conv..PNG

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

I have a kit on the way from Cruiser Outfitters to rebuild the front hubs and also convert them from electric to manual.

Someone asked me if there was any difference between RHD and LHD having owned both in 70 series form. To me, it makes no difference which side the steering wheel is on. To some, I see it is a huge big deal to them. Different folks, different strokes.

I have a kit on the way from Cruiser Outfitters to rebuild the front hubs and also convert them from electric to manual.

Someone asked me if there was any difference between RHD and LHD having owned both in 70 series form. To me, it makes no difference which side the steering wheel is on. To some, I see it is a huge big deal to them. Different folks, different strokes.
To me, it's the same either way too. But I did note that when I was selling my RHD BJ71, there were some potential buyers who only wanted LHD. I think that's the only real factor is resale, if you care about that.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
SILVER Star

One of the first things I did was remove the voltage converter since it was just sitting on the pass. floorboard. Most of the wiring is intact and left alone in this cruiser except it was kinda hacked up with some unusual (to me) in-line clips to add the voltage converter.

There are more clips like this to add the device that communicates with the key fob that operates the power locks. I haven't decided if I am going to keep that or not. Driver's side power lock doesn't work with the key fob but all other locks do.

View attachment 2070731

View attachment 2070732

View attachment 2070734
I'd replace those with properly crimped connectors... but you probably already know that.

I'd replace those with properly crimped connectors... but you probably already know that.
Those connectors are being used for the aftermarket radio, 12V-24V converter which I removed, and also the wiring set up for the key fob that locks/unlocks the doors without the keys. PO must have had all of his aftermarket accessories done at one place only.

Right now, I am having an issue where the fob will lock/unlock all doors except the drivers door so I am debating on removing the entire set up or not. (It is an aftermarket set up, not OEM). Also button on the drivers door panel does not lock/unlock any of the locks as well so my guess it is the lock actuator and/or the switch.

I drove it to Austin this past holiday weekend and expected to see more cruisers there but didn't see many.

Definitely a more thirsty beast compared to the PZJ70.

I don't have much else to share yet. Still waiting on the front axle rebuild and auto to manual conversion kit from @cruiseroutfit. I think it arrives tomorrow.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor

Those connectors are being used for the aftermarket radio, 12V-24V converter which I removed, and also the wiring set up for the key fob that locks/unlocks the doors without the keys. PO must have had all of his aftermarket accessories done at one place only.

Right now, I am having an issue where the fob will lock/unlock all doors except the drivers door so I am debating on removing the entire set up or not. (It is an aftermarket set up, not OEM). Also button on the drivers door panel does not lock/unlock any of the locks as well so my guess it is the lock actuator and/or the switch.

I drove it to Austin this past holiday weekend and expected to see more cruisers there but didn't see many.

Definitely a more thirsty beast compared to the PZJ70.

I don't have much else to share yet. Still waiting on the front axle rebuild and auto to manual conversion kit from @cruiseroutfit. I think it arrives tomorrow.
Shows delivery for end of day tomorrow. Start prepping the paper towels and rubber gloves :D

Love the one tone color. looks like its unmolested and does not have the usually japanese "mods" like the aftermarket steering wheels. I swear they must have gone through a fast and the furious phase of their own like I know I did during that time. The poor nissan sentra that I owned was brutally victimized with under carriage lights and a trash can exhaust. It sure looked faster then it was.

Top Bottom