Build thread: 94 FZJ80 a tale of neglect... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've always wanted a 80 series Cruiser and back in July while searching CL (for something for my 4Runner) I stumbled across and ad that simple said "Car for sale" I clicked on the add and low and behold it was a 94 FZJ80 with a couple of really really bad potato pictures and very simple description "Have too many car, need to sell some. Run's great very looked after"

Long and short of it is the ad made me crack up so I just couldn't resist taking a look, when I met the seller it he explained he "love this truck" and it was a family "aireloom" in fact the reality was it had the appearance that Stevie Wonder had painted and Ray Charles did if any at all the maintenance. Anyways it drove ok ish and me being a sucker for a project I offered the guy $2500 and drove it home (It's triple locked, clean title and CA truck so 0 rust)

Here she is in my shops parking lot when I got her home

Due to my week's being busy as hell with day to day shop work I had to wait till the weekend to go through the rig properly and lets say her "very looked after" and "much loved" PO certainly didn't disappoint, here's a little run down:

Rear upper pan arch leak (very minor)
Front oil pump seal leak (very minor)
Couldn't hold more than 6psi of pressure when testing the cooling system, multiple leaks
Lockers wouldn't engage
Front axle needed rebuild, birf's puking
E-Brake doesn't work - Reminds me I've still not addressed this
Passenger rear window would go down then fall off the track
Both front seats look like Freddy Kruger had a wet dream and won't go back or forward

I'm sure there's more but it's been a while and I've addressed the above as well as a ton of other bits and pieces long since.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot to do but fir $2500 you got a platform to do whatever. It will be a long slow road for me. I got a few years left of kids in collage before I really get to focus.

Here's how she sits currently, I'm not into rock crawling I have just always wanted a 80 series and I do a fair amount of trail/off the grid camping so that's what this trucks all about for me.

Sounds like a lot to do but fir $2500 you got a platform to do whatever. It will be a long slow road for me. I got a few years left of kids in collage before I really get to focus.

Honestly I knocked out the majority of that list the following weekend after parts had come in (I couldn't get the front axle stuff locally to me)

Here's how she sits currently, I'm not into rock crawling I have just always wanted a 80 series and I do a fair amount of trail/off the grid camping so that's what this trucks all about for me.

THAT was fast!

THAT was fast!

I'm fortunate to have a full shop at my disposal on weekends so really the only thing holding me back on things is me, still a fair amount I want to get done to her before I'd want to disappear off the grid for a break in her but I think I should have it sorted before the end of the year, for now if I get the urge to head out I can jump in my trusty 3rd gen 4runner

Current to-do list as of 12/13

Replace rotor's and pads all around (I'm an idiot should have done the fronts when I tackled the front axle rebuild)
Install extended brakelines and flush the system
Rebuild the spare steering gearbox I have as the current one is in poor shape
Come up with a suitable solar system
Exterior lighting
Either build or buy some slider's
Oil pan arch leak and oil pump seal leak, both very minor so may acquire a used long block to rebuild as at 227k and no idea of if a head gaskets been done I'd like to have a fresh 0 miles engine ready anyway.
Replace steering shaft to body seal

I'm sure there's more!

IMG_20181104_071414.jpg

Realized I hadn't posted any updates in a while, been too busy putting the truck to decent use through the summer and now winter as she's being used as our range taxi and hotel at my buddies property which without something with clearance and 4wd your not getting into unless you really enjoy hiking.

Only picture I have of the current state of things, had an issue with failing smog miserably on the tail pipe side of things but think I have that sorted now for another crack at the CA smog nazi's later this week.

Congrats! You really got that thing up and going fast! I just picked one up and have a long list of repairs, no shop for me so all driveway work but my list will eventually get done.

Congrats! You really got that thing up and going fast! I just picked one up and have a long list of repairs, no shop for me so all driveway work but my list will eventually get done.

Yea I'm very fortunate to have a full shops resources although my biggest limiting factor is always time given my day to day customer work is always priority so it's more common that I'm finishing customer stuff in what would be personal time than I am working on my own projects.

I still find the single biggest asset the resource that is Mud, it's often far better than any tools or shop resources I might have!

More photos please!

More photos please!

I'm to be working on it this weekend as all of a sudden my slow speed steering is stiffer than a teenagers morning wood what pictures would you like to see?

I should cruise up to your shop one day. My shop is in Fremont now. Been a while Mike. You get the t-case rebuilt?

I should cruise up to your shop one day. My shop is in Fremont now. Been a while Mike. You get the t-case rebuilt?

Welcome anytime mate! Yeah I swapped out the low range and high range in that one and dropped it in. I now have a good core kicking around :)

Rad! Yeah I’ll let you know when I get a couple hours to stop by. Cheers

I'm to be working on it this weekend as all of a sudden my slow speed steering is stiffer than a teenagers morning wood what pictures would you like to see?
Looks like quite a nice camper setup. Love to see some details of that. Especially the tent and whether you are happy with what you selected and why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom