(Build) Penelope the HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You have changed them before? What was the mileage interval been when you changed them?

100k is the supposed interval. But I will get oil analysis.

In was told they were changed at 180k. I'm at 255. So I assume he lied.

It's a pretty simple process. Pull the oil pan. Do them in pairs. There are some good YouTube videos and vendors that sell a lot of bearings and rod bolts.

Few small items today, much needed windshield wiper arms with the standard U hooks.
BDC8E016-96EF-4B5E-AB3A-D286488240D6.jpeg

29EB9ACB-D7A9-441A-8D38-3CB8405E0341.jpeg

Have also been chasing poor fuel exonomy issues. Last long trip averaged 16.5 hwy, wich is worse than its typical 17-18 in town. Starting with easy first, replaced fuel filter & housing, replaced fuel lines all the way to the tank, . Will know more after some more driving.
3E0A24D4-1ECF-4308-B2E8-36B9358B1B70.jpeg

64E42D02-5F02-4975-8B22-D576DE56EDD9.jpeg

D5BA291A-C2BE-4B46-AA84-9409A9F7D83B.jpeg

Turns out you CAN, very carefully, change the thermostat without pulling down the alternator.
A1386E17-1C51-409A-B6BF-E6D200E0510B.jpeg

It is not fun, and requires patience and soaking of the bolt to avoid stripping it. But it can be done, just need a 12 point offset wrench, which is why you have to be careful to not round it off. It’s only a 14 lb torque, so shouldn’t be toooooo bad.

E824F3BC-1D0C-4280-B5B0-144809B450CB.jpeg

Engine was only reaching 150 ish F no matter the conditions, so I’m thinking the thermostat was opening early or not closing. We’ll see.

Interesting thread. You must have been stationed in the south, since your 81 left out of Iwakuni. I was stationed at Yokosuka for a short time while on deployment with the 2nd Marine Div.

Interesting thread. You must have been stationed in the south, since your 81 left out of Iwakuni. I was stationed at Yokosuka for a short time while on deployment with the 2nd Marine Div.
I was on MCAS Iwakuni for 3 years. Rig actually departed Yokosuka, after sitting on the pier for 4 months…

I was on MCAS Iwakuni for 3 years. Rig actually departed Yokosuka, after sitting on the pier for 4 months…

I see. I was a greenside Corpsman on a joint deployment with the 3rd MD. I love Japan, and have been back several times since with my wife. Matter of fact, plan on making another trip this August.

Last edited:
Since we got this thing, it has hardly seen mountains, or even prolonged hills. A mild East Coast trail, a few day drives. At the beach we lit up the trans temp light almost instantly. So with it in mind that we’re headed to CA for some real trails, and a lot of hills, I decided to add an aux transmission cooler in line after the radiator section.

Went with the Hayden 699, aluminum with a thermal bypass switch to help heat it up on start and cooler days. Mounting is not beautiful, and hose fixing is not final, but it’ll do for the moment.

281BC002-C5FA-4D85-BE58-45377C1C72F3.jpeg

That right side brace is really a formality, the aluminum L brace holds it very sturdy.

Of course I took the opportunity to flush the transmission. Ejected 4 gal of black toasted crud, put in 4 gal of fresh Dex/Merc. Used the method of disconnecting the return line, plopping it in a bucket, then havimg a helper run through the gears. Fill, rinse and repeat. The line to disconnect and point at a bucket is the swirly line on the US drivers side.

B3B634F2-EFBF-4D38-8241-35804BE02ACF.jpeg

8DE219D7-0B03-4D90-B655-8C9045C04ED6.jpeg

I like to use a clear line to see the flow quality.

Engine was only reaching 150 ish F no matter the conditions, so I’m thinking the thermostat was opening early or not closing. We’ll see.
Confirmed this WAS an issue. Temps climbed to 165 within 7 minutes on my morning commute, then stayed steady there the rest of the way. Previously it would reach the 140's at best on that short drive.

Also kicking myself for not flushing the ATF sooner. Never new the transmission could run so smooth, really reduced the vibrations while sitting stopped in gear, shifting is much smoother, and moving between P-R-D is no longer so jolting. Effectivity of the aux cooler may not be seen until I really put it through the paces, nor do I have a ATF temp gauge.

Confirmed this WAS an issue. Temps climbed to 165 within 7 minutes on my morning commute, then stayed steady there the rest of the way. Previously it would reach the 140's at best on that short drive.

Also kicking myself for not flushing the ATF sooner. Never new the transmission could run so smooth, really reduced the vibrations while sitting stopped in gear, shifting is much smoother, and moving between P-R-D is no longer so jolting. Effectivity of the aux cooler may not be seen until I really put it through the paces, nor do I have a ATF temp gauge.

Anytime you get trans temps above 230 - 240
You should flush, the trans temp light on this thing comes on in the high 200s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom