Build: 74' FJ 40 (F.5) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I joined MUD about 2 weeks ago after I purchased a 74' 40. First FJ40 and first real wrenching I have attempted. I have been getting sage advice on multiple threads and have realized the more pictures I post the more members point out things that I would otherwise be oblivious to. So I decided to start a thread to track progress-

Last edited:
So far I have replaced the plugs and removed about 100 feet of wire from the PO..

I have spark plug wires, points, distributor cap, replacement T10 dash bulbs, oil, oil filter, and coolant on the way.

In trying to get my cluster working I pulled the water temperature sensor (which was completely unwired) out and saw the following sludge- Guessing a radiator flush is next...

Congrats and welcome to Mud. You have a fine looking FJ40 (not FJ as that would be an FJ Cruiser. A whole other animal)

Welcome. What month in ‘74? What’s the interior look like?

Nice front deer killer bumper! I have one just like it on my 74.

Now that that is out of the way...

I too have a 74’ been driving it close to 30 years my DD

The brush bar is from MAF and was built by lcwizard here on mud for them ... I too had one on mine for some time

PLEASE remove that fuel filter and move to the pass side... those plastic things work good ... however it is very close if not touching the exhaust manifold .... not good for the truck or you :meh:

Also IF your fuel line IS touching the head ... and will melt and leak ... and ...

Change it over to a hard metal line

Have you officially been welcomed to the club yet?

If not, here you go

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Nice rig.
When you do your flush, don't forget the block drain if you weren't already aware of it.

Now that that is out of the way...

I too have a 74’ been driving it close to 30 years my DD

The brush bar is from MAF and was built by lcwizard here on mud for them ... I too had one on mine for some time

PLEASE remove that fuel filter and move to the pass side... those plastic things work good ... however it is very close if not touching the exhaust manifold .... not good for the truck or you :meh:

Also IF your fuel line IS touching the head ... and will melt and leak ... and ...

Change it over to a hard metal line

Copy- I will add that to the top of the list

Copy- I will add that to the top of the list

Is the fuel system under pressure when the motor is not running, I was thinking of reversing the hoses and changing the orientation to move the fuel filter over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom