Builds Build #2 - 45 Extended Cab, 80 Frame, iForce 5.7 3UR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very interested in your shop build as your stuff is well thought out...please post progress. :popcorn:

Congratulations on your property. My wife and I were trying to find a large property about 8 years ago, we were not able to get one and settled on a good house. I look forward to your updates, shop and truck.

Bump, any news?

So, a bit of an update I suppose....

Been working a lot on the house and plans for the shop. I was originally going to do a metal building, but ultimately decided on wood/stucco. Although more expensive, I love the look of a matching stucco house and shop.

I had to basically start at ground 0 with the design and permitting. I had to get a soil sample/geo tech report which took about 5 weeks, architectural drawings, engineering, and then city permitting. Happy to say I received my building permit just before Christmas, so I'm lining up the concrete pour, truss delivery, and a few other things.

Here's a view of how the shop will look -

DS.jpg

It's 35x50 with 16' high walls, total height about 21'. Two doors on the gable end, one 12x12 and one 14x14. It'll have a bathroom (with shower and washer/dryer) and an office above it.

Anyway, concrete should be in first week of Feb, then vertical progress shortly after!

Thanks for following along and your patience.

On a side note... my wife got me a Team Associated RC fj45 for my birthday in Sept. I've been playing with it a lot, mostly goofing off in the back yard and desert. It was pretty thoughtful of her, as I had no idea how much I'd enjoy it! Here's a pic -

20191011_175413.jpg

After a couple mods and using it a lot, I got curious and decided to buy a larger RC. It's a little bigger than a 1/10 scale...

20191230_195620.jpg

And of course a few mods to that one (2 speed transmission, beadlocks, new skins, and a few other thigns

20200107_185023.jpg

Nothing having to do with the 45 project, really, but keeping me occupied and having fun till the shop is built and I can continue on with the build!

On a side note... my wife got me a Team Associated RC fj45 for my birthday in Sept. I've been playing with it a lot, mostly goofing off in the back yard and desert. It was pretty thoughtful of her, as I had no idea how much I'd enjoy it! Here's a pic -

20191011_175413.jpg

After a couple mods and using it a lot, I got curious and decided to buy a larger RC. It's a little bigger than a 1/10 scale...

20191230_195620.jpg

And of course a few mods to that one (2 speed transmission, beadlocks, new skins, and a few other thigns

20200107_185023.jpg

Nothing having to do with the 45 project, really, but keeping me occupied and having fun till the shop is built and I can continue on with the build!

I started with RC’s and my kids didn’t have much interest in the crawler/trail trucks so I bought myself a 40 to tinker on. 2 SCX10II’s, a Bomber and a Yeti and I was ready for the 1:1.

Oh yeah... two more things to add to the thread

Our newest addition to the property... meet Homer the 4 year old desert tortoise

20191009_160537.jpg

And the newest machine to help out around the shop and property

20200112_164815.jpg

It didn't run when I got it, but all it needed was a new starter. Runs great and now I actually look forward to doing a body or motor swap!

Here you go...

Incredibly fun toy!!
Brings back memories I had as a kid. My dad bought me some RC cars, I was hooked, saved up some money and bought my self a Team Associated RC-10. Totally forgot about that, forgot about the RC cars, the brand, etc... 30 years later, brings a smile to my face.

That's a nice sized shop! Congrats on getting through the permitting phase. I built a 40x30 and I thought it would be big enough, but now wishing I had gone a little bigger.

Dang That is going to be nice. Great choice on the 14' door and 50' depth. 👍
JP

That's a nice sized shop! Congrats on getting through the permitting phase. I built a 40x30 and I thought it would be big enough, but now wishing I had gone a little bigger.
My buddy just built the same size last fall- it’s already full. He has a flipping problem...

It's a law of car enthusiasm that you will always fill all available space.

Looking forward to both builds.

Got some good progress done this week! Concrete company is doing a great job with pad prep -

20200128_134558.jpg

20200128_152440.jpg

20200130_071403.jpg

The pour is scheduled for this coming Monday!
I don’t see any extra thick spots for the hoist, or are you going thick on the whole floor?

I don’t see any extra thick spots for the hoist, or are you going thick on the whole floor?

Slab ended up being 5" thick, and I dug out an extra inch in a 2'x3' pattern under each post, so 6" should be good.

Pour went smooth and everything looks great! Letting it cure right now and plan on framing the weekend of the 20th. Fingers crossed to get the framing done and roof trusses on within a few days. Each of those relieve cut areas are about 10'x9'

20200208_091912.jpg

Lots of progress on the shop in the past couple weeks!

Lumber delivery -

20200221_081940.jpg

Day 1 of framing. Help from a co worker who spent years framing. His advice and knowledge was extremely valuable and saved me a lot of time and money!

20200221_120023.jpg

First wall going up!! They didn't look like 16' long boards on the ground... we even measure to make sure they were! After leaning them up we couldn't believe how tall this shop was going to be! The curb is about 6", plus the 1.5" mud sill and 3" top plates, so the walls will be just shy of 17' high!

20200221_141020.jpg

And the end of our progress on day 1. We had to block the studs on the end wall and 16' out on the side walls for shear, which took a huge amount of time!

20200222_072600.jpg

The 3 walls up and one of the Hardi Frames

20200228_120423.jpg

It has been really nice using the equipment I've purchased. Each time I use it I have a feeling of relief I'm not renting it any paying by the day. It really takes a stress out of the project. In this pic, the backhoe is lifting the wall from the peak forklift height which is only about 11'. Very nice not having to manually tilt up the walls!

View_rece.jpg

Trusses got dropped off last week

20200304_124630.jpg

20200304_125041.jpg

Extremely lucky to have generous neighbors.... one of them brought his 40' high lift forklift over for me to use. Made putting up the garage door headers a breeze! Also planning on using it to set trusses

20200307_095547.jpg

20200307_160930.jpg

And how the garage sits now... Need to finish framing above the garage doors, then I'm ready to set trusses and sheet the outside! Stucco and roofing and the exterior will be complete! (Can also see my newest purchase - EZGO Industrial flatbed cart under the 14' door)

20200307_170810.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom