Builds Build #2 - 45 Extended Cab, 80 Frame, iForce 5.7 3UR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know you’re in Vegas, but isn’t 2 units overkill for a pickup cab?

Well, he's got himself, his lady, and their dog in that pickup cab, all producing body heat. There's a ton of glass and tint only does so much. These old cabs don't really lend themselves to being insulated well. I'd say overkill is just about adequate.

Well, he's got himself, his lady, and their dog in that pickup cab, all producing body heat. There's a ton of glass and tint only does so much. These old cabs don't really lend themselves to being insulated well. I'd say overkill is just about adequate.
Dont worry, I wasn’t criticizing him-just curious. I have one of those siennas that he used as a donor and it does a good job of cooling the ‘voluptuous’ van interior. Full disclosure- I don’t live anywhere close to a place that gets to 120 in the shade tho.

I hope so.... I'm aiming for overkill!

I like where you are taking this! Please keep us informed as how it goes hooking it up and how it works. Thanks!

Freakin’ love the Toyota solution you’ve developed for the heat/AC. Well done. Most stock dash units are built to fit around structural components... compactness isn’t the driver. But it is for the rear units. Amazing.

I got some more work done on the FZJ45.5 this week. Finished framing the rear shelf using 1x1 and .75x.75 -

20190503_180543.jpg
\

I rounded up a few other OEM 40 series warning lights to use with my levers. On the left, a green light for 4x4 (center diff lock), then amber for LOW, then red for REAR Lock, then red for FRONT Lock, then red for BRAKE on the far right. I deleted my factory ash tray for a cleaner look as well -

20190504_104920.jpg

I decided to epoxy prime the under side of the hood to make sure the gun and primer worked like I wanted. I figured this would be the most inconspicuous surface... I was happy with the results. Planning on doing the rest of the vehicle myself now -

20190504_144916.jpg

Lots of work on the firewall... Filled all holes I wouldn't be using, blocked the heater/vent plate, cut the factory rib to make room for the 80 series booster, increased the brake pedal rod hole to 3" and put 4 new holes in for the 80 booster. I think I'm done with it!

20190508_193620.jpg

Planning on priming the tub tomorrow, and the rest of the panels the following day!

Weekend went according to plan and happy with the results! I thought about spraying everything in a friend's booth, but rain was forecast and I didn't want to chance getting rained on during the commute. I made a home made paint booth and the epoxy laid down pretty well

20190510_104426.jpg

20190510_122517.jpg

20190510_122525.jpg

20190510_122534.jpg

I did 3 coats of epoxy primer. After shooting the tub, I finally cut off the awful 'slider' mounts that someone welded to the frame. Thankfully, they were terrible welders to it made it much easier to take them off. It was tricky cutting through the welds without hitting the frame though... I also took off both middle body mounts on each side.

20190510_151015.jpg

20190510_151025.jpg

20190510_160319.jpg

20190510_165721.jpg

I let the tub dry overnight before moving it to the corner of the booth. I then got creative with some bailing wire and made quite a few hangers to keep the pieces off the ground

20190511_091639.jpg

20190511_091708.jpg

And everything shot -

20190511_104750.jpg

Now I need to put filler on the welded seems, high build primer on everything, sand everything down, then ready for paint! It's nice seeing everything one color now, and not having to worry about any of the pieces getting surface rust!

Riley looking excellent sir! Rained here in Prescott,AZ. Was glad to get my hike in at West Fork early this AM. Sedona was looking like rain too when I left after my hike this AM.

Your "booth" looks a lot like mine when I did my paint job...couple lessons I learned and it appears you have mastered is lots of light!!!
The more the better so you can see what you are doing better :) I did not have enough light and there are places where it shows that I couldn't see what was being laid down on the panels ..(Bummer..) Be sure you have tons of ventilation and if at all possible, fan motors that do not spark! Won't go into why that is important o_O..
I'd imagine that Vegas is dry enough that you won't have any issues with moisture in your compressed air lines, but watch for that little gotcha too...
IMG_0357.JPG

Thanks for sharing your work! Very impressive and frankly I wish I would have seen this a year and a half ago....but hey that's how it goes..

This guy built a 47/80 with a turbo 1HZ back in the day, then LS'd it. He then sold it and built a turbo LS/TH350 47/80 troopy. Now he's got his own shop with lots of customers. Some good pics in there if you need.

You do nice work. I am following along. I am really interested to see how your ac/htr units work out. I have been half heartedly looking for a unit for my 45 but not tried hard enough to figure it out. It would be nice to see how one of these would mount up to the firewall.

Looking forward to see what else you do with it.

Last edited:
Still sanding?

Still sanding?
I wish... but not much happening. Unfortunately, the garage in our rental house faces southwest, so anytime after about noon, the sun starts heating up the garage door and makes in extremely warm in there. I haven't been motivated to do much body work lately, and I've been working on a couple other things I hope pan out soon.

I did order some light labels from Redline out of Colorado and they came out perfect!!

20190604_150929.jpg

20190604_151739.jpg

Also decided I wanted a split bench seat to allow the dog easy access to the rear seats without jumping over the backrests. I thought about doing buckets out of a 70's 40, but I wanted the look of a bench still so these will be perfect. I need to order some never covers from CC, but otherwise they're in pretty good shape!

20190524_125131.jpg

20190524_125140.jpg

Just a quick update for anyone still following....

We ended up buying a house about a month ago. The house was built in 78, so between the excessive heat and getting the new house ready to move into, I have had 0 time to work on the 45. The good news is the house is on a lot the size we've been wanting for over 7 years now which means we are already in the beginning stages of pulling permits to build a 2,000 sq ft shop. I'm hoping the shop will be complete by Christmas, at which point I'll be able to keep working on the 45.

I also got to buy this toy to help out around the property!! I've been having a lot of fun with it!

20190708_195023.jpg

Thanks for your patience and I'll post more if I have time to work on the 45!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom