'Bug Catchers' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much of the 'bug catcher' doors can be swapped with the later 'wind wing' parts? The frame on the driver's side is fairly toasted, and the glass on the vent window frame is missing metal? Will a later window and door regulators work for these doors?

Those are the older 17" door tops. The sealing surface is different that the later 16" tops.

The earlier door shell lacks both the hole for the later window bottom pivot and the access hole to install the cam and tension spring for the pivot.

They can both be added.

Can the main window glass be obtained from a early later 'wind wing' model? Can I use the felt intended for a later one as well?

Can the main window glass be obtained from a early later 'wind wing' model? Can I use the felt intended for a later one as well?

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes. The main window glass is the same , and I have a few in stock. I sent one in a cool old Toyota wrapper to @wngrog a couple of years ago.

ok, ok, ok. As a guy who is "new" to bug catchers.....

I am basically doing the same thing as Dizzy. I am making a nice set of doors out of like 3 old doors. What do you guys mean by 16" vs 17"???? I thought all bug catcher stuff was the same. I have the little chrome locks on the bottom.

Sorry for my lack of editing, earlier.

The original 40-series doors, mine came off of a '64 fj45, but may have not been original, are,' bug catcher,' windows. The 40-series doors, starting perhaps in '63, have a different frame above the shell. The second iteration of doors are not 'bug catchers.' The vent window opens differently, there is a service hole, covered with a grey plastic plug, for the little window hinge, and they have a distinct chrome plate between the two pieces of glass on the inside. Yours are more common. Notice the number of screws holding my window frames. Notice the 6 screws, versus 4 on the later doors, for the service door. The top of mine afford no room for weatherstrip. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom