Budget Mods and maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now I’ll enforce the “use the search” quote we’ve all seen. Multiple threads on this, one member even sells an egr plug kit that allows you to leave the egr in tact but disable it.
Thanks. Just picked up everything for an oil change, some new brakes and a heater control valve.

Can you fellas who are recommending the birfs/seals job as a major priority let us know what the FSM says about that as far as service interval? I still get by with the Haynes/mud/and my mechanic...

As far as guidance @SalladSelf i would also encourage you to pressure test your cooling system, flush the cooling system, and check Engine timing

Can you fellas who are recommending the birfs/seals job as a major priority let us know what the FSM says about that as far as service interval? I still get by with the Haynes/mud/and my mechanic...

As far as guidance @SalladSelf i would also encourage you to pressure test your cooling system, flush the cooling system, and check Engine timing

I can’t remember off the top of my head what the FSM recommends, and I’m at work right now. Also find a FSM off eBay, don’t bother with the Haynes. It’s worth the price and is loaded with all the info you need about damn near every part of the truck, and I’m sure you could resell it for close to what you paid for it down the road

I think it was 30k initial and then 60k intervals thereafter but I can check my FSM tonight. I think if you keep an eye on grease level through the square plug on knuckle and have good seals and balls theres not much more to do.

Gonna be replacing the fan clutch, water pump and thermostat.. probably all the hoses down there too.. any other suggestions?

I would change the fluid to a higher weight in the FC before replacing (search fan clutch mod, determine your hub color), this is simple and cheap and much needed IMO. But otherwise wait til summer and get her good and hot before jumping in to all of this unless the PO mentioned or there are signs already.

The water pump in particular is a major pain (I have 3FE, might be tad easier in fjz). Squeeze your upper radiator hose, make sure it is firm to test water pump. Open up cap (safely) and see how the water flows.

Pressure test after any hose work, the clamps should all be replaced while in there. Use a good flashlight to check for leaks.
Get the digital t-stat on there and get a good feel for what happens on hills and in traffic in the summer.
You will get air in the system so drive and add to bleed it out multiple times.

Anyone know what size the tow hitch bolts are? Got a hitch for free but no bolts or anything. Looked around but can’t seem to find..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom