Buddy debate....is a 4th Gen 4Runner a "Mini 100"?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me preface this with I know NOTHING about 4runners, I have never owned one nor really spent any time researching them. I got into a little debate with a buddy the other night as we were talking about LandCruisers, etc. He has a "4th Gen" 2006 4Runner V8. As I was proclaiming all the greatness of the 100-series over a few short pours of brown water, he was giving me...... "My 4Runner has the same V8, is in perm 4WD, has a center-lock diff, has low-range, tows the same, the same suspension setup, a 3rd row, and all creature comforts you could want for the year. Just on a smaller scale. Plus it moves out better with less weight to lug around for the 4.7. Anywhere you can go in your 100 I would follow right behind in my Runner"

So are these year 4Runners really a 100-series "Mini-Me"?? I was telling him to go pound sand but now I'm not so sure......

If this is an old topic then just tell me to go pound sand instead....:deadhorse:;)

Last edited:
I think he's right in a way. Believe the 4Runner is Landcruiser Prado based.

It's been discussed before.

On paper, yes. They have a very similar driveline. The 4runner/Surf is a different body on the GX470/Prado chassis.

In reality, from my experience going from 80 series to 4th gen 4runner (v8, limited, 4wd) and back to a 100 series LC/LX, there's a more of a difference than you'd expect from the spec sheet.

You're probably not going to convince him otherwise, and he's happy. So who really cares. :meh:

If you still want to give him a little grief...

Ask him to show you the torsion bars on his 4runner.

Ask if he has spiderweb cracks all over the dash yet.

Ask him to show you his transfer case lever (not the cute little dial on the dash)

Ask him to compare the underside of his 4runner to your 100 series. Which one has everything tucked out of the way?

Ask him to compare the headroom and visibility between the 2 vehicles.

Ask him why there is such a significant weight difference between the 2 vehicles, that really aren't all that different in length/width.​

width:
4th gen 4runner: 73.0"
80 series: 76"
100 series: 76.4"

length:
4th gen 4runner: 189"
80 series: 189"
100 series: 192.5"​

Having come off a 9 year stint of 4th gen ownership (with the V8, 5spd auto, VVTI owned since new) I can tell you right now that the 100 is not even in the same universe as the 4th Gen 4R. There's a reason that you can either walk out of a dealership with 1 LC or a pair of 4R's! Drastically different driving position, sightlines, build quality, and ride.

That said I don't think there is a better mid-size body-on-frame vehicle than the 4th Gen V8 4R. Brilliant vehicle. The 100 is just in a class by itself.

And yes, elsewhere in the world the 4R is called the "Land Cruiser Prado".

That said I don't think there is a better mid-size body-on-frame vehicle than the 4th Gen V8 4R. Brilliant vehicle. The 100 is just in a class by itself.

I have to agree as I also had a 4th Gen V8 Limited 4R. While it was not a Land Cruiser, it was nevertheless an incredible vehicle. Some of the things that make the Land Cruiser 'better', like size and build for severe duty, are also things that create compromise elsewhere, i.e. agility, efficiency, handling. The 4runner is the right balance for many use cases that don't demand the size and ruggedness of the 100-series. Though that doesn't take away from the 4runner. For it's weight class, it's in the top of it's class.

Except for maybe the GX470! My parents had an '06 GX while I owned my '05 4R. Loved the upgrades the GX had over my 4R. Seats were waaay more comfortable as the 4R has a relatively low seating position.

4R is a perfectly respectable overlanding vehicle -

They showcased a 100-series in an earlier season.

I wonder if Toyota designed the 120's to last the same as the 100...what is that 20 or 25 years for the 100?

25 years in harsh conditions. Since most in the states are used at malls and on paved roads, I am thinking 30 to 35 years is more like it.

As my family currently has both, I can say that the 4R is holding up remarkably well at 190k miles. We bought it with 185 from the original owner (a pilot no less) and the thing is mint. It drives extremely well, has good pickup and works perfectly as the shared summer vehicle, but will it feel that solid in a few years? I have my doubts. But I'm confident that My '06 LC (and my parents' as well) will feel as good as they do now for another half-a-million miles.

100 is basically an up-armored, better designed 4RUNNER V8 4x4. I've had both (07 4Runner and 98 LX), both nice vehicles but the 100 rides better, stronger build, interior is better quality. In stock form with same features, I'm sure the perform within the same range (except MPG).

Where is it written that it's a 25yr vehicle. I think that would be cool info to review.

I'm curious what their thoughts were on the two platforms over their extended experience with both. I couldn't find any commentary from them on comparing the two. Anyone ever find any? I thought in their earlier seasons they were quite fond of the 100-series...

I'm curious what their thoughts were on the two platforms over their extended experience with both. I couldn't find any commentary from them on comparing the two. Anyone ever find any? I thought in their earlier seasons they were quite fond of the 100-series...

They got sponsored by Toyota and got 4runners in the middle of a big 4runner marketing campaign, Toyota would never market the LC like that. Secondly going to South America the 4runner will fit in a sealed connex box and the LC won't so thats a huge plus for down there.

I have to agree as I also had a 4th Gen V8 Limited 4R. While it was not a Land Cruiser, it was nevertheless an incredible vehicle. Some of the things that make the Land Cruiser 'better', like size and build for severe duty, are also things that create compromise elsewhere, i.e. agility, efficiency, handling. The 4runner is the right balance for many use cases that don't demand the size and ruggedness of the 100-series. Though that doesn't take away from the 4runner. For it's weight class, it's in the top of it's class.

Except for maybe the GX470! My parents had an '06 GX while I owned my '05 4R. Loved the upgrades the GX had over my 4R. Seats were waaay more comfortable as the 4R has a relatively low seating position.

This show was a lot better when it had a 100 series in it and they were in Alaska. That whole south of the boarder seemed like a lot of highway driving and commercials.

And yes, elsewhere in the world the 4R is called the "Land Cruiser Prado".

Not sure about that.....I always thought The GX was the LC Prado. It sure looks like it. 4Runner Looks nothing like a LC Prado.

My wife has 2013 4runner sr5 4wd that is a great ride and daily driver. based on this when I was looking to replace my work truck I test drove a few of the 4th gen 4runners and yes the V8 does give them some pep but I felt that the interior build materials were on the cheap side. I ended up finding a great LX470 and there is no comparison. My Wife would rather drive my 16 year old lexus than her 3 year old basically new 4runner. And Yes I am keeping my 2010 FJC as the Garage queen (have you seen those resale values??)

The one thing I do not love about my 100 series is the torsion bar front suspension. If it was a progressive coil over setup like the 4th gem 4Runner or the 200 series, I think it would do much better Offroad and have more travel.

Pretty sure they fit.

07.png

Even our bigger brethren fit in there.

lc200-container2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom