BudBuilt Skid Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I messaged @Taco2Cruiser , but seeing as I'm mid install trying to get it done today, figured I would ask here as well.

Just got the engine skid on, does this contact look normal?

Ft6mu35.jpg

I don't recall any contact like that.

I messaged @Taco2Cruiser , but seeing as I'm mid install trying to get it done today, figured I would ask here as well.

Just got the engine skid on, does this contact look normal?

Ft6mu35.jpg

What is that contacting.. I remember removing 2 pieces before mounting the engine skid, could you also provide a picture a bit further back for us to get a better idea. I'm home now so I can go look at mine to compare

its also not sitting flat per the video, you can see another contact point in the second image.

G82TjJS.jpg

SHlguK7.jpg

its also not sitting flat per the video, you can see another contact point in the second image.

G82TjJS.jpg

SHlguK7.jpg
Here's how mine sit..
Looks like your skid is contacting the drop-down.

20200927_112034.jpg

20200927_112109.jpg

G82TjJS.jpg

SHlguK7.jpg
That’s how bud made it. Just like a lock washer gets compressed to reduce the chance of the bolt backing out. The skid itself is a gigantic lock washer that pushes against the the rear fasteners. That way you limit the possibility of the fasteners coming loose when bombing down desert trails.

On my FJC, it happened with both my all pro skids and then my tummy tucked BudBuilt skids. I mentioned it to Bud before I handed my 200 off to him for these skids to be made and that the result.

All sorted. Very happy with the install and the results.

For those gauging the complexity of the install, took me about 4 hours on a slanted driveway with only a jack/jackstand combo to help me position the skids. My brother came over to help with the gas tank skid, but I probably could have managed without him. But it definitely made it easier.

One tip for the "hard" bolt to position on the gas skid. I mounted the skid to the rails, leaving those bolts pretty loose, then connected the rest of the skid to the straps. Tightened the straps to the 200 and then disconnected the skid from the straps. This let us hang the skid from the frame bolts. We then very carefully positioned the "hard" bolt in position. After slowly raising the skid back in position and reconnecting to the straps, we just popped the bolt into place and tightened it. We found this much easier.

IMG_6456.jpg

I had the same problem after my first oil change with bud skids installed.... oil went everywhere... planning to install fumoto valve next time around... I
Same here. Oil splattered behind the skids and created a mess.

Jowett and Fumoto installed after that and I can't wait for the next oil change. That may sound crazy to some folks.

Same here. Oil splattered behind the skids and created a mess.

Jowett and Fumoto installed after that and I can't wait for the next oil change. That may sound crazy to some folks.
Just get about 4 feet of 3/8 tubing and drain both at the same time into the same drain vessel. This will prevent any wind splatter.

I recently installed my BB skids and I have a part that is not addressed in either the video or in this thread. Does anyone know what this Cross Dr. Side Guard piece is? It seems to be a new edition to the skid package.

I emailed the shop last week and haven't heard back, they may be on vacation or something. Will post here when I hear back from them.

20230729_090053.jpg

I recently installed my BB skids and I have a part that is not addressed in either the video or in this thread. Does anyone know what this Cross Dr. Side Guard piece is? It seems to be a new edition to the skid package.

I emailed the shop last week and haven't heard back, they may be on vacation or something. Will post here when I hear back from them.

View attachment 3392224
Is yours a 570 or LC? Mine is LC and I don’t have a piece like that on the Dr side. There is a heat shield on the gas tank side. How think is the part?

View attachment 3392224
I didn't get anything that looked like that.

I have that piece sitting on my shelf in the garage. This is what I got back from them in email when I asked about it last year.
"It is a new part to replace one of the factory covers that protects the fuel filter. You normally would have to notch the stock one. Drivers side frame rail where the crossmember mounts."

I had already notched the stock shield so I left it.

I have that piece sitting on my shelf in the garage. This is what I got back from them in email when I asked about it last year.
"It is a new part to replace one of the factory covers that protects the fuel filter. You normally would have to notch the stock one. Drivers side frame rail where the crossmember mounts."

Ahh. makes sense now. I notched the OEM cover to clear the new cross over bar needed for transfer skid. Seems like they now provide a replacement.

Where is the fuel filter? I thought it was inside the OEM fuel tank. Please prove me wrong. I'd LOVE to easily be able to change it.

Where is the fuel filter? I thought it was inside the OEM fuel tank. Please prove me wrong. I'd LOVE to easily be able to change it.
So, just to be clear..... I was only answering the OP question and the email response I received about the extra plate in the BudBuilt skid-plate shipment NOT my knowledge of the LC fuel filter.

But, since you asked a very valid question, what I was able to find with a Google search for "2016 LC fuel filter location" references the interior of the frame rail, which backs up the BudBuilt answer above.

Here's a quick video -

Hope this helps

Interesting I also just notched the oem frame rail heat shield and hit it with spray paint. I guess I will save this part in case it rusts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom