For Sale Budapest 66k miles TRUE Poverty Pack HZJ80--looks clean! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Not mine, no affiliation, but I can put you in touch with people who can get this for you if you're serious about it.

1996 HZJ80 (so if you're in the US you'd need to buy and store in Europe until next year--no biggie).

Totally bare-bones model: white paint, no flares, steel rims, swing out back doors, vinyl floors and seats, 5-speed, 1HZ non turbo diesel, no a/c, roll-up windows, no sunroof. Nothing. Only 107,000 original km's, which works out to about 66k miles. Has an OME lift on it, but not much else. Factory wheels have been painted (should be silver).

Ad says it's in Budapest (a beautiful city, BTW).

Some photos from the ad:

2.jpg
6.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Seller is asking 29000 Euro, which works out to about US$32,000-ish. Not many of these out there, especially not in the condition this ones seems to be in. AFAIK, the borders are still closed in Europe, so it might require extra strategy to make it happen, but where there's a will, there's a way.

The ad is here:

Last edited:
Holy cow!! This is awesome!

That is cool, but no ac is not cool, deal breaker for me. Love the seats. Those wheels were also on early, second generation 4Runners here in the US. I guess they also put them on PP LCs?

It's rather interesting, that when Asian and German manufacturers do a stripped down model, it truly is. I'm kind of surprised that this rig doesn't retain the typical 80 series instrument panel for cost savings.

Last edited:
Those wheels were also on early, second generation 4Runners here in the US

Not quite. Same style, but these are 16", the 4Runner/Pickup wheels in the US were 15". I've only ever seen the 16's on low-spec Landcruisers.

no ac is not cool, deal breaker for me.

Yeah, having a/c would be better than not, but realistically, the chance of finding another 'Cruiser like this, with this kind of mileage, condition, and equipment, that also has a/c, is pretty close to zero. In my view, it would be much simpler to add a/c to this one as opposed to finding another one that has it but is otherwise not nearly as nice. I'd rather bolt in a few parts than deal with restoring a rusty, clapped out car that happens to have a/c.

I'm kind of surprised that this rig doesn't retain the typical 80 series instrument panel for cost savings.

The "basic" package was widely available in many markets (Australia, Middle East, Africa, etc.), so that instrument cluster was produced in great numbers. No problem with economy of scale there.

Last edited:
I had vinyl floors on a 2013 Tacoma (manual, v6, 4X4) that I owned about 7 years ago. Best idea ever for trucks.

Wow, that is one step above a tractor. In fact I have tractors with AC and turbos:) Love it.

Looks cool. Very utilitarian and useful.
Going through the pics on the listing I noticed it has a stock locker button on the dash above and to the left of the radio. So it would appear that it has a front, rear or center locker.

It doesn't appear to have a FF, but I guess maybe that's part of the PP thing.

I covet. The simplest form of the 80 is the most beautiful.

I LOVED my poverty pack.

This is the younger, cleaner sister of my old ‘92. It will be worth it to scoop this up and sit on it for a year to someone, I’m sure.

I want that steering wheel for my 93/94 LC!! So accustomed with seeing 95/97 dash with steering wheel/airbag in the U.S model. At first I thought that it has the wrong steering wheel. I wonder if front airbag was even an option for the European model?

I want that steering wheel for my 93/94 LC!! So accustomed with seeing 95/97 dash with steering wheel/airbag in the U.S model. At first I thought that it has the wrong steering wheel. I wonder if front airbag was even an option for the European model?

To my eye, it looks very similar to the one in my '93. The shape of the center pad is a little different.

Nice truck. Would like to own, but too many hoops and hurdles for my liking.

Would like to own, but too many hoops and hurdles for my liking.

I've brought in 6 (soon to be 7) cars from Europe. Not really much for hoops, it's mostly just writing checks. There are people who take care of the "hoop" parts. If you've got the bank and the will, it can happen.

That is a pile of money, $40k or more once imported and titled. Semi float rear, no lockers and no a/c plus low powered 1HZ.

For half that I would go for a HDJ80 (LHD 81). Wont be as mint or low mile but I am pretty used to fixing them up which also allows spread the expense out over time.

Cheers

Looks cool. Very utilitarian and useful.
Going through the pics on the listing I noticed it has a stock locker button on the dash above and to the left of the radio. So it would appear that it has a front, rear or center locker.

It doesn't appear to have a FF, but I guess maybe that's part of the PP thing.
FF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom