1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bucket seat headrests on a 77 FJ40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by buckroseau, Jan 30, 2004.

1. buckroseau

buckroseau May I have another!!! SILVER Star

Pulling the hog rings out of my bucketseats on my 77 last night and needed to get the headrest's off.

I soon realized that no matter how hard I pulled they were not going to just pop off the top. Or, do I need to get my wife out there to do the heavy work? Is there a clip or attachment underneath the covers that have to be undone? I don't want to wreck them?

Thanks, Matt

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

if like my 82 40's and 60, then there is a little button you push in, it's on the seat on one side of the headrest or the other. the old covers if busted up mught be hidding it.

3. burnt03

burnt03

If they're the same as my '78, you have to pull them towards you (to the front of the vehicle) and then pull them up.

4. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

When I recovered theseats in my 77, it wasn't easy. You have to work them up a bit and then get something (Crowbar or big srewdriver) between the seat and headrest and work them up and out. Don't just pry them out or you might damage the seat.

Ken

5. buckroseau

buckroseau May I have another!!! SILVER Star

Ok, this is why I post questions and answers on this forum, you get results. :)

I pulled my headrests towards the front of the seat and then wiggled up, wouldn't you know it, they came off?

Now I have another ?, the little plastic pieces on top of the seat that trimmed out the seats around the headrest posts. How do you get those out? I was able to get the seat cover off just by stretching the fabric around those 2 plastic grommets. I started wiggling and prying, but once again I think I'm going to break them. Do I now need to get the wife out in the garage to do the heavy work?

Thanks, Matt

6. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I took a regular Scre drive and stuck it down about an inch where the plastic ends and there is metal and pried them out. After i recovered
    the seats, I cut out the material with a razor smaller than the hole, and they poped right back in.

7. Richard Sweeton

Richard Sweeton

Thanks for the Info

I've got the seats apart (77 FJ40) and am fighting with the headrests, to get them out to put the seat covers on. Needed ideas on how to do it. Got them here. Thanks. This is a great site!:cheers:

8. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

PROPS TO YOU! Nothing quite as rewarding as seeing a newb using the search function right off the bat! Definitely made a good first impression here! Welcome to MUD!

Best

Mark A.