1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bubbles from side inspection cover???

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by rockyklg, Aug 22, 2006.

1. rockyklg

rockyklg

ok so recently damn near every gasket on my engine started leaking oil. there were always the little leaks but now were talking like 4 quarts per tank or more. i have a bunch of gaskets on the way but today i realized that there are little bubbles coming out of the top of the side cover. anyone have any ideas???
    :beer:

2. Tinker

Tinker

It's loose.

Seriously, take off the oil filler cap with the engine running & hold your hand over the hole. If there's a lot of "air" coming out, one or more of your compression rings is bad - lotsa blowby.

3. rockyklg

rockyklg

thats not what i wanted to hear...

ok so i checked and there is some air coming out. but i would bet my pcv system is not working right either. would that give me a little air???

also is the only definitive way to tell is compression test?

if it is a ring...?

4. Kief

Kief

Obviously the engine isn't venting, check your PCV & post your compression tests, 125#'s or so and you should still be OK.

5. rockyklg

rockyklg

well the numbers are
    1 135
    2 120ish
    3 125 ish
    4 130
    5 120 ish
    6 135 yeah

pcv is def not working...

any ideas, advice appreciated

6. bajaman

bajaman

Same thing happened to me (not with my FJ, on my old car) and blew my valve cover gasket, front seal, and sprayed oil all over the f*@king place out the dip stick hole...
    My PCV valve was buggered, and hot air expands...what a mess...all over an $12 PCV valve

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  7. rockyklg

rockyklg

thanks for the responses.
    i guess im going for a new pcv valve in the morning. hopefully that will stop any other gaskets from blowing out. anyone think my compression is low enough to be a bad ring? i really dont want to spend a bunch of time and money fixing leaks if im going to have to replace the motor anyway...

8. Tinker

Tinker

Compression is fine. If you want to find out more about the state of your rings & valves, do a leak-down. Summit & Jeg's have cheap gauge setups, or maybe a Mudder will loan you one.

9. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Replace the PCV and run it. Your compression #s look OK to me. All of these old trucks have some blow by, you just need to give it a path out of the crankcase, but you may have to replace a bunch of seals and gaskets.

10. rockyklg

rockyklg

replaced the pcv today... still getting some pressure. thinking i may try some sea foam. any other reasons the pvc system wouldnt be working besides the valve its self? thanks

11. rockyklg

rockyklg

i was thrilled to find a pinched hose today. new hose and all my crankcase pressure woes are solved. so glad... :beer:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">