Builds Brutus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ceylonfj40nut

Waiting for Barn Time
SILVER Star
Threads
Have not had much time to post on things of my own. Been busy with the boys (@SipLife and @Cowboy45) projects. Thought I would get it started. Rig is a 97 triple locked 80. 177k miles. Bone stock except for front bumper. Everything works. No rust. Clear blue title.

Bought it in San Antonio. Owner had a ton of receipts. Only issue was oil leaks from the common areas (front main seal, power steering pump cover, dizzy oring). Drove it to DFW topping it off every 100 miles🥴. It got me home. Nice rust proofing for sure.It’s a good start.

We are a cruiser family. Hope to document the journey we are on. As with most of these great beasts it is a marathon, not a sprint.

The name is appropriate. A beast. Rough around the edges. Reminds me of my Ford 7.3L diesel which was named Brutus. Befitting.

The build plan will evolve with time.

First will be a good baselining.

505910E2-8769-4224-93B3-14D789158A6C.jpeg

BD2A5F72-D754-4BDB-BF1A-C01C15362474.jpeg

6716BF41-81A4-439A-B731-D87AA70AD7AE.jpeg

I forsee V8 power in your future

Pffft

A1D71DF9-2F9E-4076-89EA-68D9C5797AFD.jpeg

Saw this one for sale, was very tempted to snatch it up, but glad you grabbed it! Looking forward to seeing you plans.

On a side note, I know you almost grabbed the other 40th in SA as well and because of your interaction between the seller and subsequent post on mud, it compelled me to stop hazing him and actually reach out and buy it from him. So thanks!

Saw this one for sale, was very tempted to snatch it up, but glad you grabbed it! Looking forward to seeing you plans.

On a side note, I know you almost grabbed the other 40th in SA as well and because of your interaction between the seller and subsequent post on mud, it compelled me to stop hazing him and actually reach out and buy it from him. So thanks!
His style was a little off putting to most on Mud, but he was a stand up guy when I spoke to him. Glad you got it. Timing just did not work out at the time. It was a good deal. You lucked out.

Ordered wits end front timing cover seal kit ( dizzy oring, front main seal, oil pump gasket, new hex screws, etc.). Also managed to snag a used HD 2.5” OME lift kit (40k miles). Will be adding bilsteins down the road if shocks are not great. Waiting for barn time.

Took a bigger bite at it today. Rubbing compound and wool pad followed by Griots.:princess: Also took to it. Its a good first cut. Going to try Graphene polish tomorrow.

IMG_6297.jpeg

IMG_6298.jpeg

IMG_6299.jpeg

Getting better. Its an art. Tried the maguires cutting compound and finishing polish. Tried various pads (wool, foam). Kept getting bake in of compound and polish. Looked splotchy. Also tried high end graphene infused stuff, no joy. Eventually went back to simple rubbing compound by hand and elbow grease to prevent “bake in” of compound. Then waxed by hand as well. No splotches. Deeper richness.

IMG_6312.jpeg

Good for now. Hood and roof will need to be painted. Rest will work for my needs.

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6317.jpeg

IMG_6316.jpeg

IMG_6315.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6320.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom