Bruce: the Great White 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was a good time. I was terrified. Not for any other reason than we were in a truck that we just finished a few days before. If it would've broke down, well, that would have not been great. Rick and Brian would've gotten us out, but it would have not been enjoyable

On a side note, motor mounts and the new shroud are on the way from Mr. T and I'm working the carb head angle. Got a few other things in mind, but that hurt the wallet bad enough. The exhaust will for sure be unpleasant on my bank account. But first Warpig needs love for trip to hot springs next week. Then winter projects start.

I've just got to get Erin to tell me which one is first.

Well, apparently Mr T is running low on motor mounts. I got a confirmation that they only had the shroud and boot in stock. Motor mounts were backorder with no ETA. So I started looking around and after hitting Napa, AZ, and the usual parts places. I finally found some on RockAuto. I ordered them before they disappeared to. I'm still looking for some OE units, but for now, these weStar units will have to do.

Ah you just need s short piece of chain and a welder.

I used replacements from RockAuto after my 80 broke both mounts in the cove. Had to rig it with ratchet straps to get home. Two years later they're surviving.

Well, apparently Mr T is running low on motor mounts. I got a confirmation that they only had the shroud and boot in stock. Motor mounts were backorder with no ETA. So I started looking around and after hitting Napa, AZ, and the usual parts places. I finally found some on RockAuto. I ordered them before they disappeared to. I'm still looking for some OE units, but for now, these weStar units will have to do.

Motor mou to arrived today. Got an email saying the shroud was backordered with no ETA, so I just canceled the rest if the order. Now I need to hunt up a shroud for the 3FE to go on once the mounts are in.

I also put in a request to Mosley Motors to see about having the magician do some work on the spare head I have to see if we can gain a little umph. I may also look I may also look I to having the spare block machined for a rebuild.

BTT. So apparently Bruce may be making an appearance at the upcoming GSMTR'22 so it looks like motor mounts and new fan shroud are on deck for the next free weekend. Also looking for a bolt on hitch to put on the IronPig rear so I can pull the camp trailer up. Erin intends to drive our yet be picked up '85 4Runner. So updates coming soon

Last edited:
BTT. So apparently Bruce may be making an appearance at the upcoming GSMTR'22 so it looks like motor mounts and new fan shroud are on deck for the next free weekend. Also looking for a bolt on hitch to put on the IronPig rear so I can pull the camp trailer up. Erin intends to drive our yet be picked up '85 4Runner. So updates coming soon
You finally scored motor mounts? I looked for some for the 40 (along with anti inversion shacles) and no go.

You finally scored motor mounts? I looked for some for the 40 (along with anti inversion shacles) and no go.
Rock auto was where I found some. I actually bought a second set because it seemed like they were getting scarce.

Updated 8.8.22
Well BTT for the annual fall thrash before what's become our annual fall camping trip. So the list is as follows:

• Replace the thrashed motor mounts
  • Replace the fan shroud that was thrashed by the broken motor mounts
  • Have the AC system checked and charged
  • Mount 37" Yokohama's
  • Oil change and other general fluid replacement
  • Swap the Mark's t-case I've had stashed for the past few years
  • New exhaust half done...
  • Figure out a mount for the iPad Going to do a new head unit with a screen and link to phone
  • Fix tailgate latch locking issue
  • Winch for front Bumper
  • pop out the dent in the door
  • wheel for 5th tire
So let the festivities commence.

Last edited:
Set of 5 37x12.50R17 Yokohama Geolander G003s should be here next week depending on shipper. I actually ordered the 385s, but then realized that in my quest for a 37 to fit on the 16" wheels, I neglected to realize that a 385 is over 15" wide. That is just too much for my taste on a stock wheel. So I backed up an punted. I have been eyeing the G003s for a while and the price was way too good to not give them try.

Also think I am going to swap the Raceline wheels off the 40 onto the 80. I may still need a set of spacers to make things play nice, but I'll cross that road when I get there.

Tires will be delivered tomorrow. Swapped one if the racelines off the 40 onto the front just to get a look.
20220731_192902.jpg

I think I like it. Now just need to get all 4 on and make sure they don't cause rubbing. May have to get the 37s mounted and then flex again then decide if spacers are needed.

I also need to get a winch mounted up front and make sure all the bolts are in the rear bumper.

I think my schedule is finally open for some work weekends now that school is about to start back.

Well, the party is about ready to get started around here.
20220801_195335.jpg

DS motor mount was completely seperated.

20220813_152747.jpg

I had to pull the alternator and air pump off along with the fan and shroud to get to the bolt on top.
20220813_155316.jpg

You can see the new one way down there behind the alternator.

20220813_155254.jpg

I wasn't great at pictures, but the air pump goes in that hole.

I worked hard to not have to pull the upper radiator hose, but in order to get the fan and new shroud back in, I'm going to have to drain the rad enough to pull that hose. So I decided I didn't want to play with that anymore and called it. I'll knock that out tomorrow and get the tires swapped from the 40 so I can take the truck to have the new tires mounted. Then off to the exhaust shop.

All buttoned back up. Replacing the shroud is a mega pain. I did have to drain the top of the radiator and remove the upper rad hose. Then I realized I'd have to pull the battery and box to be able to get the shroud and fan in.

20220814_160903.jpg

So that sucked, then I spent a while figuring out the negative wire connections to the battery. All back together and now I need to swap the tires and wheels over so I can have the new tires mounted. Then off to the exhaust shop.

Headed to the exhaust shop tomorrow to see how bad it really is. Thanks @Tennessee80 I'll let you know how it goes. Sam said he'd take care of me.

New exhaust is 50% on. New magnaflow muffler and I had them turn it down before the axle to get rid of the tailpipe hanging out in the back.

20220824_200752.jpg

They re-did the cross-over pipe over the t-case and did a good job.
20220824_200828.jpg

But with the sliders on it was going to be rough going up the drivers side, so I brought it home to pull the slider off. They need a good cleaning and some fresh paint anyway.

20220824_200526.jpg

20220824_200513.jpg

So now that that's out of the way, these crusty Cats are not long for this world.

20220824_200915.jpg

Pretty sure they are the original ones from 1991, so I'd say we got our money's worth out of them.

Taking the truck to gateway the first of the week to get the Yokohama's mounted, then back to the shop to finish the exhaust.

Rolled loaded with fresh meats to Gateway this morning.
20220829_070244.jpg

One last poser shot before the new Yokohama's went on.
20220829_071203.jpg

It started raining just after I got home so I grabbed this picture from inside the shop.

20220829_195520.jpg

The 37s definitely fill up the wheel wells better and with the 5.29s the speedo is much closer to stock reading. The transmission shifts better and generally it just rides and drives better. Like I planned for 37s from the start...

I also disconnected all the locking mechanisms on the rear hatch. I need to figure out how to adjust that assembly. If locked it will not unlock. The little slider pin gets bound up and won't let the bar slide to the unlock position without external input. So I need to figure out what's up with that. Also, one of the little clips broke, so I need to find a replacement.

Honestly, if I can get the AC working and get a swaybar on it, I will likely drive it once a week or so.

Dropped Bruce off at Mill Creek today for them to take a look at the AC. I can't remember the last time it was operable. Hope it just needs a vacuum and charge. If it's more than that, then I'll probably just have to wait a few weeks.

Got to get a wheel ordered for the spare to mount on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom