Brrr... It's Cold In Here. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
This is my first COLD winter with the 60, as last winter it NEVER got this cold all winter long (makes me wonder what january will be like this year!).

I've noticed that the 60 never seems to really warm up inside during these days. It was -14 this morning, and I let the 60 warm up for 13-15 minutes, and then the 10 minute drive to work.... my legs were cold the whole time. Almost like the heater wasn't working.

I had the rear heater on, as well as the dash... is it normal for these guys to take a long time to warm up the interior? The engine warms up fine, and there is warm air blowing out the vents... not really very HOT though.. is there a test that can be done to make sure it's all working properly?

i would think with the rear heater on it would take longer to heat all that water/antifreeze up

Doc,

It's probably working fine.

At "minus" 14, a lot of heat is removed from engine . . .

Maybe consider a radiator blanket (something over grill) to block air flow....

I dont know, my 60 seems fine at -14. It takes a little while to warm up but once it does, no problems.

The problem I have is getting the damned thing to actually move at say -5 and colder. The gear oil is so thick it doesnt want to get going. Have to leave it in N on the t-case and let it run in gear for a bit I guess.

ERIC,
its not that cold here, but it supposed to up to 9 degrees tomorrow.:)

first check your antifreeze and make sure its mixed for that coold of weather.(cheap hydrometer will do)
otherwise use a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.should help,but watch your gauge closely......:D

snow today in colorado!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Had the same problem with my 6o and a GMC with a 350, both times it was either a bad THERMOSTAT or a too "cold" thermostat.

A bad one would be stuck open, (if closed your rig would over heat) a too cold one lets the coolant run at a cooler temp which at -0 will never heat the cab.

Both of the ones I had go bad had some rust fouling up the works.

A week ago I had a problem with overheating, took it to the shop, they said I was missing some hose clamps. Replaced them and it runs at the right temp now. Only the cab does not heat up.

Maybe the thermo went from stuck closed to stuck open?

I'll have to check the antifreeze too.

I've seen folks driving around with the cardboard over the grille, maybe I'll need to go that route.

Hey Doc, we called in at -11F yesterday morning. I had changed my oil and front diff. fluid on saturday (and had a lot of fun romping through 16" of snow) and wondered what I did to my truck until someone at work said it was -11F. My brakes were stiff and the clutch was too. I think it took a lot of us by surprise..... Yeah, I'm wondering too, if this is Dec., what will late Jan. and Feb be like......

Blue 60

Blue 60 said:
Yeah, I'm wondering too, if this is Dec., what will late Jan. and Feb be like......

At the current rate of decline, the temps could be around -20 without windchill.

At those temps, I think I'll start driving the 80. The 60 would just sieze up and die.

Doc, It sounds like U need to get it checked out. I usually let mine warm up for about 15min. also, mine get's nice and warm inside.

Mine was taking forever to warm up inside too. I replaced thermostat and put cardboard in front of the radiator........now things are sweet. Just make sure you don't cover the radiator all the way cause the engine will heat up quick on the freeway. Oh and it has been just as cold here (Bozeman, MT) right now it is 1 out and it is 12:30 in the afternoon! The low tonite is supposed to be -27, and thats without a windchill. ugh!

My suggestion is to put your cardboard right on the front of the radiator. If you just cover the grille, cold air will still get around both sides of the rad. I just did mine with 1/8" fiberboard that I had laying around. The exact dimensions are 24"x14" and if you take the hood release off you can slip it right in between the rad and the center support. The condenser line will hold it nice and tight against the rad. I did it on Sunday, and have not had any problems with overheating, but it did make the guage move up from 1/4 to 1/3. Maybe just a little warmer in the cab too.

I think weve got the same weather here in Omaha that Doc has in Iowa. It is 4:00 and it is 7 degrees out.

Hodag

Ditto for mine

My 60 has been barely showing any heat on the gauge and the air the heater is blowing reminds me of forced air in a house with a heat pump...barely warmer than ambient. There were several mentions in previous threads about a second gasket on the thermostat and I have been agonizing over the possiblity that I did not put one in. I have gone so far as to order a new thermostat (195 degrees) and related gaskets and am planning on removing my existing thermostat. Now, you guys are telling me that this is NORMAL for a FJ60 and to use cardboard? If I had put the thermostat in backwards, it would be overheating, Right?
Should i pull the thermostat or use the cardboard?

mine worked fine at -16
took a minute to heat up though lol

tomorrow the high is 1 and the low is -27 just like zmontgomery said
i will test it again then

Mine works fine at -10F without cardboard. Then again, my 2F is rebuilt with slightly elevated compression so maybe it makes abit more heat than one with 200k on it.

Doc - any chance the mech's actually replaced the tstat along with a few hose clamps? The missing top gasket would do it. Or the need for hoses clamps would indicate a leak. Maybe you've got an air bubble in the top heat hose. Burp it or add a flush T to insure its fully filled.

5 degrees in KS
wind howling out of the north = -21
warmed mine up for 7 min, felt like a toaster oven. You definitely have issues.
As stated previously -
-antifreeze level
-thermostat
-heater core

I'm driving northbound, against a 30kt wind in 5 degree weather. You don't need no stinkin' grill cover.

tried out my truck thismorning at -26 started right up. steering and suspension was a little stiff though. my friends audi wouldnt start. the turbo had frozen.

Took two tries to start today--kind of a bummer, but once she got going it was smooth.-- I drove a few blocks to the auto part store and bought some anti-freeze and a top gasket for the thermostat. Came back, put on that gasket, took the cardboard out, and holy crap did it make a difference. Heat feels like it should now and the temp gauge gets up to just a little below half, whereas before it would barely get up into the white. Topped off the fluid and drove around a bit. everything should be fine now right? Seeing how it gets up to a normal range at -7. With everything now correctly in place it should stay at that mark or at least close to it regardless of outside temp, right??

Me too!

I pulled my thermostat and put in the missing top gasket. Made a big difference! My temp gauge shows about 1/2 way now. Hope it stays that way when it is 95 degrees in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom