Brown Recluse

An intersting thing happend to me Wednesday afternoon at work.

I was sitting at my computer around 1100 diligently working (read surfing IH8MUD) when suddenly I felt a horrible itch on my inner thigh. So I itched it but it didnt stop. So I ignored it untill I got off at 1500. I left work and met my mother and wife at Sams Club to buy a whole lotta beef, chicken and pork for hella cheap. The whole time this one spot on my thigh is itching like mad.

So I go to bed that night and wake up the next moring to discover that I have a maroon spot on my leg the size of a nickel with a bright red dot in the middle. I think to myself...self you got bit by somthing. No biggie just a little spider bite. So I continue to ignore it becasue it dosnt itch any more ti just aches a little bit.

That night I am getting ready to for bed and notice that a lighter pink ring has developed around tha intial maroon spot. so now the overall size of the area is that of a quarter if not a little bigger. I decided that if it grows any more I wll got to Urgent care and have a GP doc take a look at it.

So I wake up this morning around 0700 and sure enough the pink ring has grown to about 3 inches in diameter. I say ah crap and the wife asks what's up. I show her the bite now and she agrees with me that I need to go see a doc. So I go to urgent care and see just aobut hte collest doctor in the world. Mo Fo had a handel bar mustach. :grinpimp: He tells me I was bit by a Brown Recluse spider, and that it was a good thing I came in as early as I did.

He said that the venom causes the capularies (SP?) around the bite to constrict and thus not get any blood. SO they effectivly die. Like putting a turnacite on your leg. The skin just dies and fall off. :eek: But since I got in there so early I may no end up with a giant hole in my thigh.

I am just happy that he little fxxxer didn't bite my twig or berries or else the wife might have thought that I was dipping my stick in someonelese hunney butter.

So this is about what it looks like now.

And hopefully it will never end up like this guys leg. Not for the faint of heart But this looks like multiple bites in a localized area.

Dude,

That happened to me a few years ago. I got the same bulls-eye mark on my leg and it itched like crazy for a day or so. Then starting hurting. Bad. I thought it may be Lyme's disease but remember swatting my leg when I got the bite and seeing this big-ass spider fall to the ground. I had no clue it was a Brown Recluse (which it was I later found out).

I went on vacation and soon had a bad fever and the mark turned into this golf-ball sized lump. Since it was middle of the summer and I had a 103 degree fever, I couldn't walk well, the bump started turning black, and open pores started oozing this foul liquid - I finally went to a Dr (was in NC). They looked at it and had no clue. Had 3 other Drs come in - no clue. They gave me some antibiotics and told me something I would never forget, "let us know when you find out what it is".

I got even sicker and went back the next day after calling my Dr back home. He faxed in a prescription for a better/stronger antibiotic and I did recover after about 4 days of a bad fever. The skin died all around the bite and I had to use this cream they use for burn victims (forgot the name) as I had no skin in a 3" circle surrounding the bite. Took about 3 months to heal. Still got the scar.

Hopefully - never again. And consider yourself lucky to catch it early.

Note to self: willing away infections doesn't work.

AndrewT

Strange this would happen to you, last week the guy that installs all the palm trees for the landscape company I'm working for this summer got bitten by a brown recluse as well and he was in the hospital for a couple days.

Had the same thing on my fore arm. Waited a day or two and the Doc said I came in just in time. Big ole hole in my arm for a couple months. Finally healed over. Funny thing, it didn't feel like much when I was first bitten.

Good luck,

Jim

Target lesions can be caused by a number of things, including bites by a number of creatures, drug reactions, viral infections and so forth.

Here is something to think about when you are trying to decide if you were bitten by a brown recluse, or if maybe something else should be considered:

Where they are, and where they aren't.

No offence dave but that map isnt correct.

The doc said he sees atleat one a year and 9 time out of 10 the people bring the sucker in to the Urgent Care with them.

They do live here in Colorado. Any one saying somthing different doesnt know what they are talking about or are just neive.

Nick, that map was made by THE world expert on Hobo spiders. Granted, it was a few years ago, and distribution patterns may have expanded to some degree for both spiders. All I am saying is that other things should be considered, and that target lesions are caused by a number of things. Unless you saw the spider, how would you know? Don't take my word for it. Look up target lesions and spider bites for yourself. As to whether it is a brown recluse or a hobo spider, it really doesn't matter. If it is something else, it may matter very much.

Well I know it isnt from any kind of drug legal or not (I dont take either, I barly take Ibprofin for pain) It mostlikly isnt viral, dont have any VD's, my shots are all up to date plus I dont have any fever or nausia that are commenly associated with a viral infection.

Wether is was a recluse or a hobo (he hobo) I am now on some meds. Unforunitly not Penicililne because I break out on massive hives. Neigher the hobo or the recluse "should" be here in CO either way. I just know what the doc told me. Hell for all I know it is a really really bad misquito bite. ;p

Doug,

That is hte link I was orinaly looking for to post. I saw it a year ago or so and was facinated. But I couldent find it for here in my 30 sec google search.

I remember shipping a woman off on a medivac who required some skin grafts due to a Brown Recluse bite ..... :eek:

Here is a differnt map from the link you gave on the distribution. It is by Richard S. Vetter and colleagues, University of California Riverside (http://spiders.ucr.edu/)

I could see how over a few years how the spider could easly move NW into CO.

Dave,
Don't get me wrong I do appreceate the advice on what it might also be. Becasue according to the "professionals" they dont exist here. But I am just going off the knowledge of another person who has seen my case and is far more qualified to make the assesment than I.

I understand perfectly, Nick. I'm only an internet phantom. But since you posted, and since I know that most times "Brown Recluse Bites" are not that, I thought I'd share. You need to trust someone to help you take care of it, but if all doesn't go according to Hoyle....

Top Bottom