Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look you post has no reference to it. Most people on this board are not welling to take there Reg to the hammers so most would not know what you were talking about including me and I have been there several times.
If you would have worded it like in your last post ( I love the hammers and that obstacle is called depreciation knob ) it would have been clear to all.
I apologize for getting upset lets just move on.
@richardlillard1 ran it at night with a broken heater valve with no damage. He is a much better driver than me

@richardlillard1 ran it at night with a broken heater valve with no damage. He is a much better driver than me
I didn’t get body damage in any of the places I expected to on that trip.

The worst by far was your spotting me on the Clawhammer waterfall. That was destructive.

I didn’t get body damage in any of the places I expected to on that trip.

The worst by far was your spotting me on the Clawhammer waterfall. That was destructive.
'waterfall' lol you loser

I have met Brosky a few times wheelin & the more I get to know Richard the more I like him.
He is a no nonsence type of guy.
More doing then talking kind of Bloke.
His set up is simple & works well.
I hung out with him last week fitting 39s on his adventure rig, but I'll let him tell you about it latter.
I found these on youtube.

Gary thanks for the kind words and for posting the Videos

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the work, but early on in the build I completely rebuilt the front axle.
All new bearing and seals, Both thirds were sent out the American Gear in San Luis Obispo for a complete rebuild and regear to 5.29s.
It went back together with new RVC Chromoly axles & birfields
Around the same time American Gear also install 3.12: 1 low range gears and resealed the transfer case.
The new 5.29s and low range gears made a huge difference in off road capabitities

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have no pictures of the work, but early on in the build I completely rebuilt the front axle.
All new bearing and seals, Both thirds were sent out the American Gear in San Luis Obispo for a complete rebuild and regear to 5.29s.
It went back together with new RVC Chromoly axle birfields
Around the same time American Gear also install 3.12: 1 low range gears and resealed the transfer case.
The new 5.29s and low range gears made a huge difference in off road capabitities
That's amazing and encouraging to hear that there are still good shops left in California! Thank you for sharing this story and the name of the shop.

1579111424291.png
Next up on the Build was a on board air system from Viair. I wanted the hart of the system and the electrical away from the elements so I decided to mount them in the right rear quarter panel.
I fabbed up some mounting brackets and it all fit in there petty nicely

Last edited:
1579111986653.png
The air tank was located under the Reg in the area were the spare tire used to be supported by a custom bracket that I fabbed up.

So I also made up some mounts for the Hi lift jack and fire extinguisher. I don't like drilling hole in my Reg so the factory seat mount points were used. I also liked this spot because it keep the weight down low
1579184848895.png
1579184931329.png

The fire extinguisher is easily accessible to driver or passenger. I never run the second or third row seats so this spot makes sense.

OK lets talk about the Lift. It happened early on in the build. At the time there wasn't a lot of choices and did not want to spend 3 to 4K on a lift.
So I went with a OME 850 Js front and863Js rears, Well with The reg being super light in the rear for a 80 it was beyond stink bug, So out came the Js and in went the 863 rears. Still to much stink bug so I tried some OME 5" comps. Well that was a joke one ride around the block was all that was needed to determine it was way to Tippy.
So the 863Js fronts went back in with a 1" spacer, And OME L shock F&R.
I was happy with this set up and have been running it for several years.
The 863Js never made it out of the shop and the 5" comps only went around the block once. So it was a bit costly to get it where I like it. Since they had been installed the vendor would not let me return them.
The suspension is getting changed up again but I going to save that for later in the thread. ;)

Last edited:
@brosky and redgrr(sp) were the two guys here who inspired me to go ahead and chop the rusted rockers on my MN sourced 80. Sliders are done and welded in, and I’m with him on low mounting the hi-lift. The steel standard bar now mounts on the inboard DS part of my slider. Tight fit but it worked. Will post pics once I’m finished living at work and wrap our relocation to Wyoming.

Love the build thread ! Keep it up !

1579285530737.png
Doesn't accessing the hi lift require one of the doors to open fully? That's a pain
I don't thing opening the door is any more of a pain then swinging out rear tire carrier to access the jack. In fact I think it's easier form either door. Although not as easy as the rear doors. I can access the Jack from the drivers seat.
Also note the theme behind my build is, Light with a low center of gravity, the biggest tires I can fit with the lowest lift.
Fully built out with 37s a spare tire tool bag & Recovery gear, My reg weighed in at 5400 LBS.

Last edited:
View attachment 2185484 I don't thing opening the door is any more of a pain then swinging out rear tire carrier to access the jack. In fact I think it's easier form either door. Although not as easy as the rear doors. I can access the Jack from the drivers seat.
Also note the theme behind my build is, Light with a low center of gravity, the biggest tires I can fit with the lowest lift.
Fully built out with 37s a spare tire tool bag & Recovery gear, My reg weighed in at 5400 LBS.
Why not run wider axles?

Well if I had your FAB skills It would be a lot easier, Just skimmed your Hammersaurus thread. Sick Build.
Heading out to go camping with the Family be out off grid for a few days.
I well read the whole thread when I get back. It makes my build thread look like kindergarten stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom