broken transfer???? tranny transfer swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Threads
I am piecing together a 71 fj40 with a 75 2f. Today on my 2nd test drive, using 2hi, my transfer case began making a severe grinding noise. It began after a .25 mile drive when leaving a stop sign. I was able to get the truck to go w/o grinding in lo only....... I drove it back to the house (.25miles) and tried hi again. The problem was gone (no grinding) I drive another .25 miles in hi and came back to the same stop sign. I put the transfer in lo and the nosie returned. Now, it wont move at all w/o loud grinding. When pushing the truck home, I put the transfer in hi and tranny in N. The transfer made a popping noise every few seconds.........

I have a 74 parts rig. It has a 4speed. Are the 74 4 speed and transfer a direct swap for my 71 pieces? Do the tranny and transfer need to be swapped together? Any help appriciated

mel

Last edited:
you will need a new imput gear for the tcase. four speeds are 16 spline 3 speeds are 10 spline.

I thought it was classic cruisers that sold this gear but I don't see it listed on their site, so maybe somone eles can chime in.

Curt sells this gear....

I would swap the pieces needed and keep the tcase and tranny together. Transfer the flywheel housing, tranny, tcase, driveshafts, cables and other little goodies from the 74 to the 71, and have fun!

Good luck!

-Steve

I am going to swap the tranny and transfer as one piece........ I am also going to do a new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Now will also be a good time to put a rust preventer on the underside as well since everything is out of the way. I will be maiking a trip to harbour freight.......what should I buy to simplify the job?

Hoist/cherry picker. Get a double-acting pump for the lift cylinder on that unit...

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom