Broken transfer case........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Texican

s-Moderator
Threads
The street in front of my shop claimed my 3rd t case this afternoon, my brother was pulling my truck into the shop to close, and he kinda dumped the clutch, we heard a loud bang and she was bleeding....
got a trip on the hook til I can install another one...
broke.JPG
oil.JPG
wreker.JPG

Got Orion Butch?

;)

Poser said:
Got Orion Butch?

;)

I'm skeered of them, don't think I could put one together...... :D :D

We talked about one, I don't have an event til ICBM.
Butch

Where's the tech? ;p

Hi All:

You might consider switching to the "split" type t-case found in the 60 & 70 Series - the ones found in the early FJ60s have a low range of 2.28. The "split" t-case is also much stronger than earlier TLC t-cases.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

You might consider switching to the "split" type t-case found in the 60 & 70 Series - the ones found in the early FJ60s have a low range of 2.28. The "split" t-case is also much stronger than earlier TLC t-cases.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Yep this is true, but how do you mate a split case to an SM420?

Also, it's the later split cases (85-89) that have the lower gear ratio.

Did that T/C have a "case-saver" installed to it?

(there's some tech....sorta')

honk said:
Did that T/C have a "case-saver" installed to it?

(there's some tech....sorta')

there is one of Don's savers on there.....
this one blew the whole bottom out, we found the freeze plug looking thingie on the pavement.
Butch

please tell me you had drained all the floaties from CM from the fluid....

hehehe

DSCF0009.jpg

woody said:
please tell me you had drained all the floaties from CM from the fluid....

hehehe

Hell no, I'm convinced cottonwood fluff is good stop leak for 90 wt. the only case I ever had in this truck that didn't seep and leave marks.
Butch :D :D

Last edited:
if you already have a 420, why not go chevy transfer case, NP205 or 203-205, or dana300 or atlas, why bother with a toyota transfer case?

FoYoChe said:
if you already have a 420, why not go chevy transfer case, NP205 or 203-205, or dana300 or atlas, why bother with a toyota transfer case?

Requires swapping a rear axle, custom lengths, custom drivelines, etc...

Go ORION or Split T/C... :D

cruiseroutfit said:
Requires swapping a rear axle, custom lengths, custom drivelines, etc...

Go ORION or Split T/C... :D

Kurt-Is it possible to mate a split case to an SM420? THat would be a very desirable combination as I think of my 3 speed case as the weak link in my FJ40s drive line.

Cruiserdrew said:
Kurt-Is it possible to mate a split case to an SM420? THat would be a very desirable combination as I think of my 3 speed case as the weak link in my FJ40s drive line.

Look at Post #14...

Tigerstripe40 said:
Look at Post #14...

Tiger-I understand completely. The SM420 is plenty low, I don't need or want a $1700 "adapter" to suck up my driveline length. I was just thinking if there were a way to adapt a split case to an SM420, with say a plate adapter and a special input gear, I would do that since I have a spare split case.

edit-the AA setup looks close and not as long as I thought. That might be the ticket. Thanks for the link.

Cruiserdrew said:
Tiger-I understand completely. The SM420 is plenty low, I don't need or want a $1700 "adapter" to suck up my driveline length. I was just thinking if there were a way to adapt a split case to an SM420, with say a plate adapter and a special input gear, I would do that since I have a spare split case.

There isn't a plate adapter available I'm afraid (or I would be using a split case myself).

You can also use a later 4speed 1 piece style t-case (a little stornger than the 3 speed, , but you need to get a special input gear (available from Cruiser Outfitters). This is what I am using.
IIRC This is the same gear that was in the 'transitional' t-case in 74 IIRC.

PErsonally, I feel that if I am gonna loose 5" of driveshaft, I might as well put some gearing in there to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom