Broken Stud for Wheel mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
Extending the brake lines today and I went forth in removing my PS tire in order to access one of the lines more easily. Ended up braking off one of the lug nuts and the Stud on the Axle. :mad:

How F&*(ked am I?

I drove 30 miles home on the freeway with 5 lug nuts holding the wheel in place. Checked when I got home and all seemed fine.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? Can I get away with just having 5 lugs instead of 6 until after SnT, or does this need immediate attention?

How labor intensive is the fix?

Thanks in advance.

Brake lines successfully extended thanks to RogersFJ40, and mr. Slee for the parts.
Sam :eek:

Sammy,

Sorry I couldn’t get back to ya on the cell. I really wouldn't worry about it. Our 6 lug is a nice set up but I think you'll be fine on 5 for a bit. Removal and press is a snap. Head on over to Toyota for a new stud, grab a punch and a BFH pound out the old, pound in the new. Depends on is this front or rear? Rear just remove the caliper pound out, press the new in as far as you can, should get some threads through to the face. Cheep mans press it in with the aid if another nut and your lug nut, thus pulling it through. The front might be a bit more of a pain, seeing that the caliper is a bit harder to remove.

-Matt

REPLACE ALL SIX STUDS!!!

yes i was yelling.

do not replace only the one, unless you're doing a trail fix. you will be really pissed when the second one goes on the same corner.

Ammo, It is the PS Front stud. Sounds easy enough.

ACE, why all six? it broke as a result of my stupidity and process not under it's own will. If you could expand on way all 6 and not just the 1 I'd appreciate it.

Thanks guys

Sam

the majority of effort is in getting to the one. plus you've got to secure a replacement anyway.

many, many ppl have gone the route of fixing what's broke, only to go back in and replace another on the same wheel the next time you have a go with the lug nuts. i made this mistake twice, then i learned my lesson. just my $0.02

Makes enough sense...will be doing all 6 once I hopefully get back from Snt.
Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom