Broken rear short axle-cable locker long spline help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I have a 12ht 60 that has been my trusted friend for 16 years or so... she has a factory cable diff locker in the rear full float housing-those in the know will appreciate with the factory lockers, there are specific axle shafts (rear right/short, front long) with longer splines to allow the mechanism to work.

Not thrashing it, or giving it any abuse knowingly, was pulling out of a parallel carpark, on the seal (no diff wasn’t locked and I was in 2wd) when there was an almighty bang and suddenly no drive...

Snapped the rear axle shaft.

Anyone have any leads on where I may be able to find another? It’s the rear, short axle with longer splines for a diff lock.

Not sure why it broke...

I am in New Zealand, so here or Australia would be ideal-and I’m unsure if the cable setup was even available in North America?. We are lucky in NZ as in the late 1980s our domestic market was suddenly flooded with used JDM imports from Japan. Much of this is long gone, but we got a whole lot of GX/VX/Sahara 60’s with 12h/t’s (24v)

3312988912 try this listing in trademe guy seems to have lots of cruiser parts. And will actually answer a question unlike the marketplace sellers

I hope that you found the right shaft in the end. I have the same setup and sometimes think that I should get replacement before the shaft cracks.
Not really sure but did I read somewhere that the early locked 7x series shares the same shaft ?

Edit:
I've just checked and accordingly to my parts manual the rear longer splined 42311-60080 shaft is the same as in the 7x series that would give some more options to search for. The 43412-60050 front one is unique to the 60 series - does anybody know the difference ?

Last edited:
Nitro makes them. RCV/Moser/Dutchman/Strange can make you whatever double splined axle you want and use a drive flange with it. Im sure there are plenty of axle companies in Australia too

It's been a while since I checked, but I believe Terrain Tamer sells those axles. (FF Cable locked) IIRC, it's only one side that's different from the unlocked FF ?

I hope that you found the right shaft in the end. I have the same setup and sometimes think that I should get replacement before the shaft cracks.
Not really sure but did I read somewhere that the early locked 7x series shares the same shaft ?

Edit:
I've just checked and accordingly to my parts manual the rear longer splined 42311-60080 shaft is the same as in the 7x series that would give some more options to search for. The 43412-60050 front one is unique to the 60 series - does anybody know the difference ?
Pretty sure the 70 series housing is only shorter on one side so one side is the same.

Still looking (been a bit tied up with a few otg We things and getting around ok on an standard axle) really still puzzled why it broke. But yes same part as a 70 series and I believe 40 as the short axles are all same length, this is also the reason the front ones are different-due to different width trucks, different lengths. Thanks all above for your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom