Broken Radiator Drain petcock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Popeye struck again! :crybaby: I broke the petcock while titghtening. I was not using force so suspect it was brittle! (Thats my story and I am sticking to it!) Any tips on replacing it? Like how in the hell do I get the old one out without pulling the rad out?

Fly Rod :cheers:

bolt/screw extractor?

Probably quicker to pull the radiator than work in that cramped location. Maybe removing the shroud and fan would give you enough room. Doing that always seems to bang up the radiator fins so is probably better to just pull the radiator. It's not a very big deal to do so.

Those "Help" displays in the auto parts stores include a replacement draincock the purports to fit. You need to check the catalog for the right part number. Can't attest to the quality. I picked on up for a spare, haven't had need to use it.

Can you shape or cut out the petcock into a channel with a sharp cutter in the middle to resemble a screw? then unscrew it with a flat tip screwdriver. Make sure you have the replacement in hand to screw it back in so u dont have to drain the coolant. The screw extractor they sell at sears might help.

This is the perfect time to take an easy out (prolly just 1/8 inch or slightly larger), put the back end in a vise, heat the hell outta it with a propane plumber's torch, bend it ninety degrees to make it into an allen wrench shaped easy out, and then use it to work the draincock out. Because the easy out tool is only like two to three inches long and because you are bending it, you should have the clearance you need to work the draincock out. Make sure the easy out is cool before you try this or you will melt the plastic of the draincock and screw up the threads you will need to back the thing out. HTH. :cheers:

MLX450 said:
Can you shape or cut out the petcock into a channel with a sharp cutter in the middle to resemble a screw? then unscrew it with a flat tip screwdriver. Make sure you have the replacement in hand to screw it back in so u dont have to drain the coolant. The screw extractor they sell at sears might help.

Wow, I missed this post, another awesome suggestion, and I'll just add one thing to it ... take a sharp tip screwdriver where the tip is just large enough to fit the broken off shaft of the draincock, heat just the tip pretty hot with the propane torch, melt in a slot and unscrew it. If it does not work simply use the center of the slot to predrill the hole for the easyout and then use the method i posted. HTH. :cheers:

Getting the broken piece out is the easy bit. Getting access is the hard part. It is almost impossible to reach the petcock to open or close by hand, while the radiator is installed.

I like the idea of melting a small screwdriver into the head. After I get a replacement I will try that one.

Rich,

Yes it is a bitch to get to! But after alot of years working on boats and sports cars you get used to tight places. For the most part I have found the LC to be very spacious to work around.

Thanks!

Fly Rod

Or you could just leave it as is, then drain the radiator when you need to by dropping the bottom hose. The petcock on my FJ62's radiator has been broken for the better part of ten years.

Agree with Exile. The petcock's just there to allow draining without the annoyance of unhooking the lower hose. I'd be sure the part's going to hold, and simply drain with the hose from now on. I always use the hose to drain as higher flow ---> better removal of crud.

DougM

Use a lower hose??? What, and miss out on all the splashing of coolant! Well, ok.

Thanks,

Fly Rod

Using the lower hose does not eliminate any of the splashing. It does shorten the duration!

I want to drain my radiator. What is a petcock? Is it a knob like on a faucet valve? or is it a screw that you remove and then the fluid comes out from where the screw was located?

The placement of the petcock has a lot to be desired. I like the idea of using the lower radiator hose to drain the system. To build on that idea, has anyone put any sort of in-line drain in the lower hose that wouldn't require removing the entire hose? Maybe a piece of Stainless tubing with a ball valve of some sort attached to it. Just a thought.

Fly, I feel your "pain." I just experienced the same thing and it was a PITA big time to get the thing out considering the amount of space you have to work with. I was able to remove the shaft with a BBQd screwdriver.

Aside from not having a replacement petcock to put back in, I thought that the hoses would get in the way of the wings. So, my drain plug is now a 3/8-16 x 1-1/2 USS Nylon hex head cap screw. I may be draining through the hoses the next time but if I do need to remove the petcock, it will be much easier with a socket wrench + extension.

My ordeal.

Oh, there's a thread somewhere where CDan and the other guys discussed what contraption they made involving the lower hoses to make flushing much easier.

Found it: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=19775

Last edited:
pulse98 said:
I want to drain my radiator. What is a petcock? Is it a knob like on a faucet valve? or is it a screw that you remove and then the fluid comes out from where the screw was located?

Sort of a combination of both. Look around on the lower tank of the radiator; you'll find it. ;)

Curtis

Am I suppossed to remove the screw? or mere twist it 90 degrees like a stopcock.

just have to pull the skid plate and the petcock is right there.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with popeye forearms when it comes to petcocks! I too broke the head off when reinstalling after a complete flush. No leaks, so I'm leaving it alone until it needs flushing again. That, fortunately, gave me plenty of time to get a replacement from Cdan. Figured a screw extractor would work, but I like the idea of a hot tipped small flat head screwdriver as well. It should work and would be easier, given the space, than trying to get a drill up there.

pulse98 said:
Am I suppossed to remove the screw? or mere twist it 90 degrees like a stopcock.

Go play with it and find out. :D

Mostly kidding, but seriously: Just go find it and *gently* loosen it, and you'll see how it works. What's the big deal??

Curtis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom