Broken Oil Line Fitting in Engine Block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a quick search and didn't find a thing. So...

I'm was in the process of installing a Perma Cool relocated oil filter in my '68 FJ40 (which I thought would be a simple procedure). While trying to remove the fitting that screws into the the block, it broke off inside. I've tried an extractor tool but can't get it to budge. Has anybody experienced this problem or can somebody offer up some suggestions on how to get the rest of fitting out?

try using a square tap in type extractor......The easy out type extractors tends to cause the fitting to expand or swell when pressure is applied, ie you are trying to turn it out.... but the tapered tap in type dosent seam to apply as much, I would also suggest heating the fitting with MAPP gas, a hotter version of a propane type soldering torch for plumming work wich can be purchased at a hardware store for about 20 to 40$...if the fitting is pot meatl or brass it will get really weak when heated and cooled very fast and may crumble when you try to use the extractor. Just be very aware of wireing and...fuel lines etc as the map gas is very hot and will ignite paint and oil sludge excetra...usually only a flash type burn not a sustained fire but have an extingusher handy.

hope this helps

p.s if the fitting does crumble when/ if you heat it use a shop vac to suck out all the debris from the fitting hole, very efficient an through

Sometime just heating it and letting it cool will allow a easy out to work after you put some pb blaster on in and let it soak, the expanding of the fitting while hot will will open up the area between it and the block to alow the fluid to get in there. Fittings are hard becaause they expand with extractor so square is the way to go and do not be to aggressive at first and it might come.

Drilling and tapping is a option but will require a lot of cleaning if it after the filter and going staight into the oiling system. a big magnet and shop vac to pull out any shavings would be a must.

Finally got the fitting out of the block. Ended up using a left hand drill bit to get it started and then finished the job with a square extractor. Now we're back in business. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom