Broken Mirror and Glass Replacement For Idiots...Lots of Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a simple step by step guide with a lot of pictures of how to replace your broken mirror and broken glass. I read on another thread that you needed to remove the door panel to access the mirror post. Not true. I am no authority but I just thought since I was an idiot maybe there are some other idiots who could read this and think its really not that hard. Cause its not.

Last week my mirror began swinging around the post like a drunk square dancer. It turns out the clip that holds the mirror to the post finally wore out and gave way. Upon trying to repair this, I also dropped the mirror glass and shattered it. So I ordered some glass from Toyota for 60.00 and the mirror housing with spring loaded post still engaged from landcruiserman in Oregon for 20+11 for shipping. The entire mirror unit from Toyota is 300.00 without the glass.

I am no pro so if anyone wants to chime in on a step I missed or any tricks for better results please feel free.
IM005803.jpg
IM005777.jpg

1. Removed the broken glass from the existing mirror retainer.
2. Cleaned the inside so the adhesive will stick real well.
IM005777.jpg
IM005778.jpg
IM005779.jpg

3. Peeled the edges back and forth to loosen the plastic prior to trying to insert the glass. The plastic was pretty stiff and I didint want to risk breaking my 60.00 piece of mirror.

4. Peeled the adhesive cover from the back of the mirror
IM005780.jpg
IM005784.jpg
IM005785.jpg

5. Slowly rolled each edge over the mirror one by one being careful not to stress the glass.

6. Placed it face down on a soft surface and gently pressed the mirror to the plastic to ensure a good adhesion. (you can see where I fixed the shaky mirror a few months ago with steps from a great thread here on mud, I found out my JB Weld wasnt actually holding the mirror in place so I had to fix that first by sanding a little more, wish I had a dremmel :mad:).

7. Next I popped off the bottom cover of the new mirror housing so I could route the wires later
IM005786.jpg
IM005788.jpg
IM005795.jpg

8. Carefully separated the triangular-shaped cover on the corner of the door. There is a body clip at the top that will pop out by pulling straight out away from the hole and two clips at the bottom which require you to depress upwards on their tabs as you pull outwards. I used a flat-head screwdriver for those.
IM005797.jpg
IM005798.jpg
IM005799.jpg

9. Next I removed the 3 bolts with a 10mm socket wrench. (if you still have your mirror attached on the other side, you may want to hold onto it or you will also be replacing your glass)

10. Next is a little tricky. On the outside part of the mirror housing/post that is still attached to the truck there is a retainer clip that must be depressed to release it from the vehicle. I had to be careful not to separate the black piece from the mirror yet as their is a small screw which holds it together. Prying this apart will tear the retaining hole.

11. Remove said screw.
IM005801.jpg
IM005806.jpg
IM005808.jpg

12. I used a small ziptie to hold the three wires from the vehicle together and routed the wires through the black piece first and then through the mirror opening and up through the spring and out to where the mirror motor should connect.
IM005812.jpg
IM005813.jpg
IM005814.jpg

God damnit I thought you were up north working!

When I replaced mine I forgot to connect the wiring for the motor :doh: but I am too lazy to take it off and re-wire it.

13. I then replaced the reatining screw in the back of the black triangular piece.

14. Next I secured the mirror back with the three bolts inside the door frame.

15. Replaced the mirror back on the motor and adjusting bracket.
IM005810.jpg
IM005815.jpg
IM005816.jpg

16. Replaced the retaining screw from underneath.

17. Replaced the pop on cover underneath as well.

18. Then I replaced the inside cover snapping the clips in place.
IM005817.jpg
IM005818.jpg
IM005819.jpg

Voila! New to me mirror and OEM glass!
IM005821.jpg
IM005822.jpg

Objects are not as dumb as they appear!
IM005783.jpg

Objects are not as dumb as they appear!

No just slightly obsessed :clap:

"Welcome home honey, here is my list of problems with the truck....fix it now!"
-Jack's wife

No just slightly obsessed :clap:

"Welcome home honey, here is my list of problems with the truck....fix it now!"
-Jack's wife

Yep. :princess: got tired of not having a mirror. So I checked that off the list and also sprayed some silicone spray in all the window runners today. They work better! So that will delay the eventual PM on the window guides/regulators/motors for awhile. :D

FYI, I found that a local glass shop could cut a new piece of the convex mirror glass for under $25. Since I walked in the door with the mirror holder (broken glass removed, piece cleaned), the guy even slapped it in for me. I had no idea this capability existed, but I ordered it in the early afternoon and it was ready a couple hours later. So, this may be common and something to know about.

DougM

FYI, I found that a local glass shop could cut a new piece of the convex mirror glass for under $25. Since I walked in the door with the mirror holder (broken glass removed, piece cleaned), the guy even slapped it in for me. I had no idea this capability existed, but I ordered it in the early afternoon and it was ready a couple hours later. So, this may be common and something to know about.

DougM

Now you tell me. CURSE you Doug!:mad: Im just kidding. Great input and worthy advice. :cheers:

Do you have to remind yourself that "objects in mirror are closer than they appear"?

Actually, anyone can shape a piece of glass with a belt sander pretty easily:

- Clamp the belt sander in a vice or clamping table, so you have a fixed belt sander, belt moving away from you.
- Hold glass with gloves, wear safety glasses.
- Sand along the edge, not across.
- Take your time, but it does go quickly.
- Round the edges a bit when you're done, makes it easier to mount and keeps the edges from chipping so easily. Chips tend to propogate and shatter the whole thing.

Remove the old broken glass with strong solvent, I used to use MEK 'till a pair of chem-resistant gloves melted off my fingers. Brake cleaner should do. Use double-sticky automotive adhesive to mount. Heated mirrors use very thin adhesive, available at body shop supply places.

Nice writeup. Now I just have to completely fix my wobble. I broke my passenger mirror by trying to fix my wobble (worked for a few days) when I had to install the glass piece back on . Guess I pushed down too hard.

Wiring

IS there any way to tell what each of the wires are? i am looking to fab up a set of FJC mirrors and would like them to be power as well, i just need to know which wires do what. Any thought? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom