Broken lug bolts--help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While rotating my tires, i managed to break 2 lug bolts that hold my right front wheel on. How do you fix this? My mechanics skills are limited, but I'm not stupid. Do you guys think I should/can drive on it? How do you access/replace those bolts? Can you replace one w/ out having to relace all 6? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can usually drive safely with a minimum of 3. Punch the broken ones out from the outside in. Drive new ones back in from the back as far as you can, and cinch them up by tightening the lug nut onto it.

I agree with IDave; I've been driving on 4 lugs on my front right for a while now. No problem what-so-ever. Even had to take the tires down to shave and balance, and the guy flat out told me not to worry about it. They weren't two consecutive bolts, although I'd still drive it.

I guess you could just replace the (part with the bolts on it).....???

The 2 that broke were consecutive. So you can just punch them and pull them out throught the back? Do you need to pull anything off first? Simple enough. Thanks for the help.

good luck i had a hard time getting mine off with an air hammer and the hub on the ground. it would probably drive fine but it would always be in the back of your mind :-\

I would fix this pronto. I can think of few more critical connections on your TLC than the hub/wheel interface. If 2 studs broke it seems likely that all may have been overtightened on that wheel at some point. Personally, I would replace all 6 on that wheel and keep a close eye on the others. It wouldn't be too fun to slam on the brakes at speed and have a few more of the studs sheer off then wrestle your 5000lb tricycle to a stop. Remember though, I'm a dad with 2 kids one of whom will be driving my 60 in just a few months. Your tolerence for risk may be higher.

Cruiserdrew has a good point I didn't think of. If you know you broke the studs yourself and that the others are fine, that is one thing. If there is any possibility the others are bad, fix them, too. To loosen mine, if they were intact, I ended up screwing a lug nut on the end: gave a bigger target for the hammer. Sacrificed the nut, or it's looks, anyway, but seemed to make that part of the job easier.

I have had the sheared stud scenario happen to me, as I was going down the road at 45 mph. What happened was that I put on wheels that required a different nut than what I had used to properly seat. All studs sheared. The wheel (driver's rear) flew off like a shot down the road. Fortunately, no traffic at the moment. The truck sat down on its brake backing plate and I pulled to a stop. It dented the backing plate about a centimeter, and I had to replace it to get the drum to not rub. UNfortunately, it also sat on the tailpipe, which was shoved up into the rear panel. So CCOT sold me a new panel. :whoops:

My kid, unknown to me, towed her FJ55 about 1500 miles with three nuts holding the front wheel on! Can it be done? Yes!! Is it wise? NO!!
The FIRST thing we did on her FJ55 was replace those three consecutive missing studs.
Pull the hub rotor combo and press out the broken studs.
I'll be posting some photos of a "Piggy" under the knife later on today!

It is not all that hard to do. I would do it ASAP. There is a reason that 6 are there. Pull the rotor and pound them out. NAPA sells them for around $2 ea. Pound them out then pound them in. It can also mess with you balence on the tire. It is not somthing I would drive on. I m not sure on the advice of replacing all six but it would not be a bad idea.

I know 3 different people that lost a tire/wheel on the hwy. It is not pretty

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom