Broken Hub Bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tnw

Threads
Thanks to all you who helped me last month with the locking hubs on my '90 FJ62.

Problem #2: I cleaned them out today and they are working well, except for one issue. When reassembling one side the bolts were obviously in bad shape because 2 of 4 broke off (two were already broken from the previous owner). The upshot of it is that now I have one hub that is affixed to the hub assembly with 2 instead of six bolts and the other four bolts are broken off in the tread holes. I'm not comfortable with this. Will it be an issue? I want to get six bolts on. Further, I know that extractors can be tough to use ie if the extractor breaks...you're really screwed. Any thoughts?

Also, what's the easiest way to get the hub assembly off? Those cone washers are a bear to loosen. Didn't have any luck!

Thanks. As usual.

if your not having luck with an extractor/easy out, then go get a hub from the junkyard. i'm pretty sure anything but IFS will fit.
the cone washers can be a bear, but i have always had good luck with some firm hammer taps on the hub body, not enough to damage anything, but enough to loosen the washers with the vibration i guess.

On my fj-62 all i had to do was tap on on the ends of the
studs that you dont have and the cone washers just popped
out. so like the above post said hitting between the studs
on the hub would work also its just a vibration thing that
makes the pop loose. once those are off and the bearing nuts and bearings are loose the rest just slides off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom