Broken Fuel Pressure Regulator Bolt - Tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
More of a generic issue, but would appreciate any advice. Recently made the beginner mistake of over tightening bolts which resulted in breaking off the bolt heads. I purchased a screw/extractor set and was able to extract one bolt, but really having a hard time with this one which is holding down the fuel pressure regulator.

Unfortunately, ended up off-centered due to the awkward angles due to engine. I'm trying to avoid ruining the threads in the fuel delivery rail. The bolt metal is very soft so I feel like it just keeps getting larger and not biting. If i were to drill deeper or go wider and just tap and rethread would there be any impact to fuel pressure or getting metal shavings into the fuel line? Last picture shows an approximation of how much of the 10mm bolt is stuck inside. Any other tips or advice appreciated!

IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1719 2.JPG

More of a generic issue, but would appreciate any advice. Recently made the beginner mistake of over tightening bolts which resulted in breaking off the bolt heads. I purchased a screw/extractor set and was able to extract one bolt, but really having a hard time with this one which is holding down the fuel pressure regulator.

Unfortunately, ended up off-centered due to the awkward angles due to engine. I'm trying to avoid ruining the threads in the fuel delivery rail. The bolt metal is very soft so I feel like it just keeps getting larger and not biting. If i were to drill deeper or go wider and just tap and rethread would there be any impact to fuel pressure or getting metal shavings into the fuel line? Last picture shows an approximation of how much of the 10mm bolt is stuck inside. Any other tips or advice appreciated!

View attachment 2606158View attachment 2606162View attachment 2606171

what will happen in the big picture here if you simply leave it alone as is right now and move on ?

Always use a left hand drill bit when drilling for extractors. You can get lucky when drilling for an extractor and sometimes the bolt will free itsself and spin out with the left hand thread

Ah man, I feel for you. I accidentally cross threaded part of a bolt hole on the fuel rail when I was reinstalling parts. That metal is definitely soft.

what will happen in the big picture here if you simply leave it alone as is right now and move on ?
@ToyotaMatt Really appreciate this question and gave me an opportunity to step back. Thanks for putting things into perspective. Since working on the 62 is a recent and new endeavor, I'm eager to do things right and not take short cuts.

I don't think there is going to be any noticeable impact to fuel pressure if only one bolt is used - so definitely something that can be added to the lower priority list so I can look forward to some fun stuff like steering and suspension!

@ToyotaMatt Really appreciate this question and gave me an opportunity to step back. Thanks for putting things into perspective. Since working on the 62 is a recent and new endeavor, I'm eager to do things right and not take short cuts.

I don't think there is going to be any noticeable impact to fuel pressure if only one bolt is used - so definitely something that can be added to the lower priority list so I can look forward to some fun stuff like steering and suspension!

some times , and often i simply have a burning desire to step back and carefully think out the next few steps , of a particular vintage toyota repair or restore job in general , other times i bang it out without much thought at all , sorta mindless because of how many times i have done the same or similar job scopes etc .........

this is a unique case , where i personally would have freaked out and panic for sure at the instant shear of a 6mm x 1.0 size spec bolt on a fuel rail of all locations , rolling sweat down my back as i asses if a gas and fuel leak will happen sooner or later
or it's ok maybe or maybe not ?

so i feel your concern to post a thread , i would have reached out to the most senior of my lifes mentors in the TOYOTA world while posting a tech thread for input all in the same 9.86 metric seconds of total OMG ,,,,

however , it was not me it was you and felt the need to try to assist in any way i could , so i suggested the first thing that came to my mind , don't touch it a millimeter more in any way freeze and think this one out well , its life safety and fire hazard all at same time potentially , or .....

maybe no chance at all , after further TECH and investigation etc...........

bottom line is a clear mind is required to make a final call here , and i simply tried to help you get there is all ............

i have gotten such help in the past and it often aided in the best possible outcome , so i wish you the same good outcome

matt :)

If it were mine I would pull the rail out and work on the bench where I could safely get at it and then clean it afterwards. Then if you get the bolt out and the threads are damaged you can more easily run a tap through the hole or drill the hole bigger and plug it and then drill and tap a new hole for the pressure reg. Flush any metal out of the rail and reinstall.

I wouldn't take any chances with anything related to the fuel system. Toyota put two bolts holding it on for a reason. Leaving it and hoping its all ok for the time being is not the right path with this one. Do as @Seth S suggested and pull it for a proper fix and flush. That is the path I took when I bungled the threads on mine. Sucks to swallow that pill and pull it after you put it back together, but I have no regrets. :steer:

@red66toy @Seth S Ended up swallowing the pill. Tapped new threads and got some new bolts. It also gave me an opportunity to put in new spacers and o-rings for the fuel injectors. Glad that's over with.
Excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom