broken flywheel bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So as I dig further and further into this truck, I am finding things that give me pause on all the work which the PO did. I have never torn apart a t-case before (thankfully my buddy helping me has) but the RTV overload made it way more difficult that it should have to pull it apart. I didn't get a picture but it looked like the o-ring on the center pin was so worn out and the RTV everywhere gave me the impression that the PO may have re-used gaskets and not rebuild things while in there when installing a h55f. The h55f conversion seems like a garage build and it shows laziness, IMO. Maybe I'm too harsh as the PO seemed competent in doing the work but things I am coming across look as if he just wanted to get it done and out of the garage.

Since I have the transmission out, I opted to put a new clutch in there since I am here. Once the current clutch was removed, I find a nice surprise.

DF2119BE-E24C-4F84-AA06-93F36A2D3275.JPG

Oh yeah, the PO put RTV in there. The PO had some kind of love affair with RTV, it's almost everywhere. :bang:

Now I need to pick up a screw extractor and hope that thing comes out.

Anyone happen to have part number for this bolt?
I am thinking that I will simply replace them all as I don't know if that was a bad bolt that gave out or the PO over torqued by accident or didn't have a torque wrench to begin with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ooffff don't know the part# for the bolt bit feel your pain i have worked on rtv loving mechanic no fun

I would think your best plan is to remove the other bolts and remove the flywheel. This should slip off over your snapped bolt. You should be able to get a vice grip/wrench on the stub of the broken bolt to remove vs an extractor. And keep your fingers crossed that the PO didn’t soak the bolt in red locktite
Having done my clutch recently, an impact wrench on the other bolts would be extremely helpful.

I would think your best plan is to remove the other bolts and remove the flywheel. This should slip off over your snapped bolt. You should be able to get a vice grip/wrench on the stub of the broken bolt to remove vs an extractor. And keep your fingers crossed that the PO didn’t soak the bolt in red locktite
Having done my clutch recently, an impact wrench on the other bolts would be extremely helpful.
That is what I was hoping for too but it snapped below the flywheel.

E106E7AD-0DAC-4C5C-B249-1D15B21E6B3A.jpeg

And yes, it seems like there was black RTV on the bolt threads. You can see some of it remnants of it. :worms:

I'm tempted to replace the main seal since I am here but not sure whether it is needed. Thoughts?

Last edited:
That is what I was hoping for too but it snapped below the flywheel.

View attachment 2668634

And yes, it seems like there was black RTV on the bolt threads. You can see some of it remnants of it. :worms:

I'm tempted to replace the main seal since I am here but not sure whether it is needed. Thoughts?

Doesn't appear to be leaking but you're in this deep and do you trust the PO's work?

Everything on these old cruisers is worn out. It all needs to be replaced. The challenge for each owner is knowing when to say NO to the Rabbit Hole if they don't have the time, money and energy to replace and fix everything. Without that constraint, one broken bolt can lead to the entire engine ending up disassembled on the garage floor. "While I'm In There" is an edict to approach with great caution.
These old cruisers are like lined up dominos.

Replace the RMS. Replace everything you can while in there because do you really want to do it again??

IIRC, The holes for the FW bolts open into the crankcase so there has to be some sealant so oil doesn't weep past the threads. Most use blue or red loctite... You're gonna have to be careful removing that broken bit to NOT bugger the threads, if they're not buggered already.

That Camshaft galley seal (2 o'clock) looks a little toasty. I'd check to make sure it's solid. Actually, if it were me, I'd replace it for $4.

Good luck. P.O. land is a wondrous place.

According to the manual, the flywheel bolts only get a light coat of oil before inserting and screwing down.

42B0E651-A36D-45B5-BFA8-B416C1E185FC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom