Broken electrical connectors in engine bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So there is a wire in the engine bay that's a little in the way when trying to get at the oil filter from above. Easiest thing to do is disconnect it. Well the locking tab broke off when I did that. Have left it alone for years, just plugging it in and out, no problems whatsoever. But thinking of getting a new housing for it. It's a single pin connector, pretty sure it's not water proof. I'm thinking it's 90980-10165 for the female housing, can anyone confirm?

There's another wire below it that goes to the coil that I think uses the same connector, which I also just broke. Anyone else break these connectors or do you change your oil differently than I do?

A822BF12-BC5D-4F5B-88BE-A0A79CBBAA77.png

If memory serves me correct isn’t it just a ground wire?

If memory serves me correct isn’t it just a ground wire?

They probably both are, so not really a big deal. But still bugs me that the connector broke.

Yes those are ground wires. Try removing your oil filter from underneath the truck. That way you’re not reaching through those wires.

I must have skinny arms, I havent had any issue replacing the filter from the top. if its just a ground and you can get to the starting and terminating end of the wire id just run a single wire and call it a day. or you could cut off the factory terminals and just use blade connectors

Could get some good adhesive-lined heat shrink - 3:1 type - connect and shrink tight. That's about half way between going to the trouble of replacing the connector and replacing the whole wire with a single run and no connector.

Also, this is a great resource for finding p/n's for connectors:

Thanks TJ, that manual is similar to the RM1022E wiring manual I have as well. This connector is a 1P Non-waterproof type, so I'm pretty sure it's either -10165 or -10179; I think it's -10165.
1P Non-waterproof.jpg

But I don't think it can be ordered on its own. Usually connectors that you can order have the last 5 numbers etched on them, but these have no numbers anywhere. So I think if I order the whole ground cable (Canister Bracket) 82046-60091 then it comes with the connector I need. Might give that a try.
Bond Cable.jpg

I need the one for the coil too, which I can't find in the diagrams. Might have to order a couple of the Canister Bracket ones and rob the connector off of it. That way it'll be like a $14 connector. Well, half a connector :lol:

Did you ever order 90980-10165?

I have a BJ60 which uses that connector for the magnetic switch on the starter. I have a new starter wire in the mail which includes the broken male connector in your hand in the picture, but I want to replace the female one too as it has been botched at some point in the past. It looks like -10165 but I can't be sure.

What you show is not -10179. If you scroll down to the data table in that Toyota document you can see that 10179 takes a 6.3 mm spade connector, whilst 10165 takes a 7.7 mm spade, which unless I'm mistaken, is what you have there.

10179 is used on the rear right door courtesy switch cable and AC compressor clutch on my BJ60.

Also, the gender in the Toyota document refers to the terminal (the metal bit), not the housing. Your broken connector is male, non-waterproof type.

I don't think the numbers are stamped into many of the connectors of this age of Toyota, and I think the rule of only being able to order parts with numbers applies to wiring clamps, and not connectors.

Thanks

EO

Last edited:
I do not bother any longer with OEM broken connectors, unless they are very specific. Powerpoles substitute with advantage most of them as well as the FastOn-like ones. Further, you may select 15, 30 or 45 amps, which is rare in other types. If you like, have a look at this post in the sister Spanish forum: Conectores Powerpole. It is in Spanish, but photos speak by themselves.

Cheers,

Did you ever order 90980-10165?

I have a BJ60 which uses that connector for the magnetic switch on the starter. I have a new starter wire in the mail which includes the broken male connector in your hand in the picture, but I want to replace the female one too as it has been botched at some point in the past. It looks like -10165 but I can't be sure.

What you show is not -10179. If you scroll down to the data table in that Toyota document you can see that 10179 takes a 6.3 mm spade connector, whilst 10165 takes a 7.7 mm spade, which unless I'm mistaken, is what you have there.

10179 is used on the door courtesy switches and AC compressor clutch on my BJ60.

Also, the gender of the terminals refers to the pins / connectors, not the housing. Your broken cpnnector is male, non-waterproof type.

I don't think the numbers are stamped into many of the connectors of this age of Toyota, and I think the rule of only being able to order parts with numbers applies to wiring clamps, and not connectors.

Thanks

EO

I wasn’t able to order 10165 on its own. I ordered 82046-60091 and it came with the 10165 connector housing. I haven’t put it all back together yet which is why I haven’t concluded this thread.

I wasn’t able to order 10165 on its own. I ordered 82046-60091 and it came with the 10165 connector housing. I haven’t put it all back together yet which is why I haven’t concluded this thread.
Any update on this? Also trying to find this same connector.

90980-10165 is available for order. There is a picture of it here. The replacement parts are not coloured, but natural nylon colour.

The male equivalent shown as broken by the OP is not listed in the Toyota wiring harness .pdf so I would assume it is not available as an indvidual part. A stockist of Sumitomo/Yazaki connectors may be able to help. Ask @ToyotaMatt

Electrically that's a kind of strange setup with those blade connectors on those ground wires. There are two like that there that attach to the body by the evap canister and go to below the ignition coil and engine block and both have those connectors I suppose to be able to get them out of the way for servicing. Mine were brittle too and I just replaced the whole run with heavier gauge wire and no mid-stream blade connectors to make sure my grounding was sound. Electrically and from a grounding perspective you're better off without them.

I like it on top too and pull my filter out from above.

90980-10165 is available for order. There is a picture of it here. The replacement parts are not coloured, but natural nylon colour.

The male equivalent shown as broken by the OP is not listed in the Toyota wiring harness .pdf so I would assume it is not available as an indvidual part. A stockist of Sumitomo/Yazaki connectors may be able to help. Ask @ToyotaMatt
Thank you for this. Unfortunately I do need the male equivalent, I may run to a junkyard and check other Toyotas of the similar era to find a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom