Broken CV axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While removing CV axle today I used a "snapping" motion to disengage differential side for removal. I've used this motion on other CVAs to successfully remove them in the past. (Perhaps I shouldn't) This time the inboard side of the axle "dislocated".
Is this an indication of worn out axle (there was very little grease left inside) or incorrect removal technique?
Anyway, a new one is on order.
64918945197__F5B8DE76-99C2-4B69-833D-25E99FC9CE34.jpeg

Manual states to hit the inner lip outward with brass. Yanking on it is definitely the "wrong" approach, but I suspect it shouldn't result in the cv falling apart.

Are those aftermarket?
They are OEM.
I'm well aware of the reputation of aftermarket CVAs. That being said, I had to replace with aftermarket as new Toyota and refurb Toyota are on back order everywhere. I'll be ordering a pair of OEM refurbs and replace when they arrive.

There is a large but thin retaining clip that holds the cage inside the housing. Sounds like when you were yanking on it, the cage either broke the retaining clip or you simply forced the cage passed it. Hard to tell in your photo if the clip is still inside the inboard housing...but I think i see it.

There is a large but thin retaining clip that holds the cage inside the housing. Sounds like when you were yanking on it, the cage either broke the retaining clip or you simply forced the cage passed it. Hard to tell in your photo if the clip is still inside the inboard housing...but I think i see it.
Retaining clip still in place.
Is it normal for bearings to come out of the cage when no longer in the tulip?
Please correct me if I've used the wrong terms.

Retaining clip still in place.
Is it normal for bearings to come out of the cage when no longer in the tulip?
Please correct me if I've used the wrong terms.
Normal for the balls to fall out of the cage when removed from the tulip. Only thing that "holds" them in the cage is grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom